PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed the change?

Silver King
01-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Bet you didn't.

The former Blogging forum is now called, Blogging and Social Networking (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90). This is an important change since, as the description reveals, that room is now open to other forms of communication such as, "Wordpress, Moveable Type, Blogger, LiveJournal, Twitter, FaceBook, Myspace, LibraryThing, GoodReads....and on and on..."

Even though Office Party has hosted discussions of most of those mediums at one time or another, we now have a designated area to share our thoughts and views on any specific or general topic related to social networking.

Pretty cool, eh? :)

jennontheisland
01-26-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm hoping not to notice "The Change" for another 15 or 20 years.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 06:05 AM
I didn't notice.

Silver King
01-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Jen is showing her age again and repeating her lines as if she were twenty years older. :D

jennontheisland
01-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Jen is showing her age again and repeating her lines as if she were twenty years older. :D

Ak! No! It wasn't me!

*muttergrumblebloodycomputer*

Silver King
01-26-2010, 06:09 AM
I didn't notice.
That's because I announced the change exactly thirty-four seconds before it occurred.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 06:09 AM

I'm glad I didn't do that.

Wayne K
01-26-2010, 06:10 AM
I saw this coming

Silver King
01-26-2010, 06:17 AM
So, this social networking thing,
that's like for people with friends right?
Is that why we didn't notice?
I'm not sure. Speaking for myself, the only friends I've made in the last couple of years have come from AW social networking. Sounds sad, but it's really not, as I am much more discriminating about who (or whom?) I associate with these days.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure. Speaking for myself, the only friends I've made in the last couple of years have come from AW social networking. Sounds sad, but it's really not, as I am much more discriminating about who (or whom?) I associate with these days.

If you only knew our true identities. ;)

Xelebes
01-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Got it the first time around, I don't need to be reminded! Gah!

jennontheisland
01-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Wait, we're supposed to have friends outside AW??

KellyAssauer
01-26-2010, 06:38 AM

We'd better not!

I'd have to leave the house?

*starts hyperventilating*

brokenfingers
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
So, does this mean it's now required to have accounts in those mediums?

bettielee
01-26-2010, 06:46 AM
I hate change!

**cries**

KTC
01-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Bet you didn't.

The former Blogging forum is now called, Blogging and Social Networking (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90). This is an important change since, as the description reveals, that room is now open to other forms of communication such as, "Wordpress, Moveable Type, Blogger, LiveJournal, Twitter, FaceBook, Myspace, LibraryThing, GoodReads....and on and on..."

Even though Office Party has hosted discussions of most of those mediums at one time or another, we now have a designated area to share our thoughts and views on any specific or general topic related to social networking.

hey man. are you on facebook?

KTC
01-26-2010, 06:56 AM

wait. there's an outside AW?

Silver King
01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
So, does this mean it's now required to have accounts in those mediums?
Yes. Please send your contributions, in cash only, to:

Silver King Enterprises
PO Box 200 Pounds or Better
Jumping Fish, FL 20101

Thank you.

BenPanced
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
We're supposed to have friends?!

brokenfingers
01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
What if we don't have any friends? Even on AW?

Silver King
01-26-2010, 07:07 AM
hey man. are you on facebook?
No. But I've been thinking of starting a new social networking site and calling it MyFace. Has a nice ring to it, you'd have to agree.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
No. But I've been thinking of starting a new social networking site and calling it MyFace. Has a nice ring to it, you'd have to agree.

I was considering starting one called YourFaceMyAss...but I think I'll pass. I was actually gonna use the web address www.gottamatch.com but I was afraid people would confuse it for a dating site.

Williebee
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Myface (http://www.myface.com/) already exists. Sorry.

brokenfingers
01-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Wait, you mean you didn't get SK's "Friendship" letter where you choose what level you want per size of "contribution"? =)No, all I got was a link to where to put my CC information for monthly recurring membership fees.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:13 AM

I tried socializing with "outside" friends the other day. They expected me to be amusing. It was a major conflict of interest.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I tried socializing with "outside" friends the other day. They expected me to be amusing. It was a major conflict of interest.

you should have just IMed them something witty.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes. Please send your contributions, in cash only, to:

Silver King Enterprises
PO Box 200 Pounds or Better
Jumping Fish, FL 20101

Thank you.

I've only got a dollar.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I've only got a dollar.

you get what you pay for.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
you should have just IMed them something witty.

I tried that. It just got me into more trouble.

jennontheisland
01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't get it.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
I tried that. It just got me into more trouble.

you probably said LOL out loud too, didn't you? Don't lie. You did.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't get it.

Which part?

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
you probably said LOL out loud too, didn't you? Don't lie. You did.

Yes, but it was the STFU that got me into real trouble with the SAFD and now I'm SOL. IYKWIM?

Silver King
01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Myface (http://www.myface.com/) already exists. Sorry.
Oh, crap. And here I thought I was being original.

Maybe instead I'll start a networking service devoted to political differences and call it, YourFistInMyFace." ;)

Wicked
01-26-2010, 07:22 AM
By some freakish quirk of the universe, I have a few friends stalwart enough to put up with me in real life. :Shrug:

My social skills could use some work online, too. But I swear if one more person sends me one of those idiotic applications on FB, I'm going to go Friday the 13th on them. :e2chain:

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes, but it was the STFU that got me into real trouble with the SAFD and now I'm SOL. IYKWIM?

I hear ya. One time I literally ROFLed...the crowd repelled away from me as though I was made of rotting fish. I told myself to NEVER ROFL in public again...no matter how funny someone is.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 07:23 AM

Maybe instead I'll start a networking service devoted to political differences and call it, YourFistInMyFace." ;)

That has a nice ring to it.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:24 AM

I think KickMyFace has a nicer ring to it.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
I hear ya. One time I literally ROFLed...the crowd repelled away from me as though I was made of rotting fish. I told myself to NEVER ROFL in public again...no matter how funny someone is.

I hear ya, man. It's just not worth it.

jennontheisland
01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Which part?
Why someone would try socializing in a place with no smilies.:poke:

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Why someone would try socializing in a place with no smilies.:poke:

Ooooh, I didn't get that part either! I got all excited when the waitress drew a smiley face on the check. But it was a false alarm.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Ooooh, I didn't get that part either! I got all excited when the waitress drew a smiley face on the check. But it was a false alarm.

that's the only thing i like about montana's. you can write on the paper table cover. they even give you crayons! but it's a bit hard to get the nuances of the smilies down right with thick crayons...so it's just not worth it. :D < ever try to draw that with a crayon!? And besides, by the time you draw your smilie...the conversation has moved on and it just doesn't make sense to point it out.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
but it's a bit hard to get the nuances of the smilies down right with thick crayons...so it's just not worth it. :D < ever try to draw that with a crayon!?

That's why you whittle the tip with your knife.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:40 AM
That's why you whittle the tip with your knife.

god-damn. that's smart. maybe real-life social networking could be made easy...with wisdom like that.

Xelebes
01-26-2010, 08:39 AM
What if we don't have any friends? Even on AW?

Than you're like me - a total recluse who, while not agoraphobic, despises any social interaction and quite content with talking to oneself to provide all the interaction I ever need.

brokenfingers
01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Hmmm, well, I'm not a total recluse, nor am I agoraphobic.

I just don't have any friends. *sniff!*

Xelebes
01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm not a total recluse either. I go out for walks and I do get groceries which means I do say an awkward hello to the passerby and the person on the till.

BenPanced
01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
My mother said I always had problems making friends.

Kinda hard to do when you're living at the bottom of a valley and all the good thunderstorms pass too high over the castle...

kayleamay
01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about zombies.

kayleamay
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Menopausal zombies!

sadron
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
A whut change?

Ooh, I go to look right now.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, well, I'm not a total recluse, nor am I agoraphobic.

I just don't have any friends. *sniff!*

What about the guy in the next cell? :)

brokenfingers
01-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Cellmates don't count.

Fran
01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm going to set up ihavehundredsoffriends.com

No one will like each other, or even know each other, but they would just kind of pretend to, so all the socially awkward and lonely people in the world can feel a bit better.

I'm hoping to get to 50 friends on Facebook before I die. I only need eleven ten more. :D

Thank you! I get stupidly excited about having friends. :D

rhymegirl
01-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Cellmates don't count.

Well, they should.

Susie
01-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Any change you make is great, dear Silver. 'nuff said. :D

Silver King
01-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Well, I didn't make the change, only suggested it to those in charge. :)

Which reminds me that I should move this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109507) Twitter thread from OP over to the newly renamed forum...

writeronfire
01-27-2010, 05:06 AM
So, let me see if I've got this straight. If we say anything about Facebook, Twitter or MySpace, it'll get booted over to another forum?

Xelebes
01-27-2010, 05:24 AM
So, let me see if I've got this straight. If we say anything about Facebook, Twitter or MySpace, it'll get booted over to another forum?

Flippen eh!

Silver King
01-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Not necessarily. Just about any topic you can think of is fine fodder for this room. But it depends mostly on how specific the discussion is to social networking.

For example, this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169298) thread would now be better served in the other forum than this one. The OP would have a greater chance to engage others in a room that's well suited to her purpose.

That's why most threads are moved anyway, because other forums are a better fit. I'd much prefer to see someone's thread succeed elsewhere than sink out of sight in this room with little or no activity. Usually I'll PM the OP to suggest a different forum before making the move and take their thoughts into account. If they agree, fine; if not, I almost always let the thread stand where it originated.

Also, most mods understand that if a topic doesn't quite fit their room that they are always welcome to move discussions to Office Party. In my view, the more threads, the better. Helps to keep things interesting. :)

Cassiopeia
01-27-2010, 05:54 AM
I read the title wrong. I thought SK was going through the change. :D

Silver King
01-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Aw, man, now I have Bowie's refrain going through my head (cha-cha-cha-cha-chan-ges...).

Medievalist
01-27-2010, 06:12 AM

No, not at all.

But if the topic is so very much about, say, how to use them, or what to use them for, especially in specific terms, you're not going to find much of an audience in office party, and so your hosts will move the thread to a better place, and leave a redirect here, so that people who think the thread is in OP, will automagically go to the new real location.

aadams73
01-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Wow, I have 113 Facebook friends. Now what am I supposed to do with them? :D

Fran
01-28-2010, 12:16 AM

Send them all expensive presents. :D

aadams73
01-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Send them all expensive presents. :D

*checks Facebook friends list*

Clever. Veeeeery clever. I admire your cunning. :D

Rowan
01-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Change...
I thought this thread was going to be about OBAMA and then I realized I wasn't in the P&CE forum (what a relief)... but now all my insults will go to waste! :)

Good thing I have "outside" friends cuz I suck at this online thing!!! :hooray:
aadams73...what did all that code mean? I know "STFU" but as for the rest...... ?????? (help me out)

KTC
01-28-2010, 03:46 AM
speaking of facebook. it deleted a ton of friends on me this week. i think it had something to do with twitter, but i'm not sure. why don't we just use ONE social network? it's all so complicated!

aadams73
01-28-2010, 04:00 AM
aadams73...what did all that code mean? I know "STFU" but as for the rest...... ?????? (help me out)

Heh, no problem. :D

SOL = Shit out of luck (pardon my language)

SAFD = San Antonio Fire Department

IYKWIM = if you know what I mean

Rowan
01-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Heh, no problem. :D

SOL = Shit out of luck (pardon my language)

SAFD = San Antonio Fire Department

IYKWIM = if you know what I mean

Thanks! Now I won't feel so out of the loop....and no need to pardon any language. ;) It's all good.

rhymegirl
01-28-2010, 04:27 AM

I think you should invite them to your house for a party.

Medievalist
01-28-2010, 04:50 AM
speaking of facebook. it deleted a ton of friends on me this week. i think it had something to do with twitter, but i'm not sure. why don't we just use ONE social network? it's all so complicated!

I don't support MySpace; it has a UI from Hell. And it's so very very hackable.

I've gotten increasingly unimpressed by FaceBook; the current privacy changes have me on the verge of being overtly hostile. They are exploiting their users--and no, I don't trust the network.

Right now, despite the drop outs from very fast growth, I still like Twitter.

I'm increasingly liking LibraryThing better than Shelfari.

In case, you know, anyone cares.

aadams73
01-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I think you should invite them to your house for a party.

There's no way they'd all fit. Not without a whole lot of canola oil and a crowbar.

I don't suppor MySpace; it has a UI from Hell. And it's so very very hackable.

MySpace is ugly, period. But where it shines--for me--is music. It's a great place to check out bands I like and discover other similar bands I might enjoy. But...damn, it's ugly!

jennontheisland
01-28-2010, 06:15 AM
There's no way they'd all fit. Not without a whole lot of canola oil and a crowbar.
I'm in.

aadams73
01-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm in.

Does sound fun!

Oh, well, sounds like a party at my place then. Jenn, you bring the music. The pop princess who lives in the next apartment needs to learn a thing or two about real music.

I'll keep the margaritas comin'.

Ken
01-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Bet you didn't.

... maybe it should go by initials, instead, like the other (cool) new forum that was recently added to the site. So instead of "Blogging and Social Networking" it might be dubbed the WTBLJTFMSLTGR forum or something similar. "Blogging and Social Networking" is a fine name, though. Very official sounding, and I'm sure that in time I'll grow quite accustomed to it.

Silver King
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
... maybe it should go by initials, instead, like the other (cool) new forum that was recently added to the site. So instead of "Blogging and Social Networking" it might be dubbed the WTBLJTFMSLTGR forum or something similar.
I might try that some day as a cruel joke just to see if anyone understands what the hell those letters stand for...

Wayne K
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQGsP8mnHsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQGsP8mnHsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ken
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I might try that some day as a cruel joke just to see if anyone understands what the hell those letters stand for...

... if you do, members will most likely adore you, instead, and give you lots of these:

:Hug2:

(A thing of nightmares for a Mod; hee, hee :-)

Wayne K
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
SK has intimacy issues. It gets in the way of his evilness ness ness

KTC
01-28-2010, 09:48 PM
SK has intimacy issues. It gets in the way of his evilness ness ness

he's embarrassed by the fishy smell.