Where are the aliens? :)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
This gets the nerd in me going on overdrive. I just love this kind of thing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-aliens-how-would-we-communicate-1878670.html

“The number of habitable planets in the Milky Way is very probably much larger than we have believed in the past. A realistic picture should include the contributions to habitability of deep atmospheres, thick ice layers, even the solid surface itself, all of which can lead to life-supporting near-surface temperatures,” said Professor Drake.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Still busy trying to invent a FTL drive

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
We should keep in mind that what may be uninhabitable to us, may be very well habitable to another species.

If we assume that the galaxy's stars and planets formed roughly simultaneously(by universal standards), then any other alien species could well still be working on some sort of transportation. Just like us.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE the idea of other life out there. But I've no idea why they would bother visiting us, unless some of the technical problems listed above are hampering their efforts. :D

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
We should keep in mind that what may be uninhabitable to us, may be very well habitable to another species.

If we assume that the galaxy's stars and planets formed roughly simultaneously(by universal standards), then any other alien species could well still be working on some sort of transportation. Just like us.

Yep. Astronomers have been looking at Titan as a promising habitat for life. Extreme for us, but the conditions are right for an evolutionary chain to develop, if that hasn't already been happening.

And we've only been around for a Universal blink; other lifeforms could have lived and died in other parts of the universe--or even galaxy--a long time before the dinosaurs showed up on Earth.

Carl Sagan is my hero.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Well yes...and no.
I'm sure we've had the discussion on here before, but I can't put my hand on it.

There are sound chemistry reasons why a lot of environments are going to be uninhabitable because of temperature/pressure, chemical composition etc. You're simply not going to form complex organic molecules in an ammonia rich environment for example.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep. Astronomers have been looking at Titan as a promising habitat for life. Extreme for us, but the conditions are right for an evolutionary chain to develop, if that hasn't already been happening.

And we've only been around for a Universal blink; other lifeforms could have lived and died in other parts of the universe--or even galaxy--a long time before the dinosaurs showed up on Earth.

Carl Sagan is my hero.

And Europa. I think they're planning a mission to Europa to drill through it's ice. Its core is beaing kneaded by Jupiter, so it's molten. There's water ice under the surface. It's going to be one interesting mission, that.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. Why would any reasonably civilized society come here? The whole planet's cut up into pieces and pillaged by various warlords. Nowhere on the planet is safe from pillaging by some gang or another. The most technologically advanced societies on the planet are also the most warlike.

The Galactic FreeTraders Association keeps a few of us here as a forward base, but even our most optimistic projections say it's going to be decades before we can openly visit here without bringing along a couple of battle cruisers, just to prove we're badass.

Frankly, there's nothing here worth letting a planet filled with bloodthirsty natives know that we exist. We figure the first reaction would be to launch a mission to "civilize" us.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Seriously. Why would any reasonably civilized society come here? The whole planet's cut up into pieces and pillaged by various warlords. Nowhere on the planet is safe from pillaging by some gang or another. The most technologically advanced societies on the planet are also the most warlike.

I read a short story once where the aliens were coming. Scientists could spot the approaching aliens from millions of miles off. The nations put aside their differences, and arranged a huge welcoming ceremony. Thousands of people, millions, eagerly awaited the visitors.

Then they came, dove into the ocean, and talked with the dolphins instead.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com

The Galactic FreeTraders Association keeps a few of us here as a forward base, but even our most optimistic projections say it's going to be decades before we can openly visit here without bringing along a couple of battle cruisers, just to prove we're badass.

Frankly, there's nothing here worth letting a planet filled with bloodthirsty natives know that we exist. We figure the first reaction would be to launch a mission to "civilize" us.

Way to let the so called cat out of the bag, dingus. :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Sounds like a Star Trek episode...

I prefer the one where an alien race comes here--after we're extinct--and finds a few bits of stuff in cave, that somehow survived the nuclear holocaust. In there is a film that the aliens decide shows what the extinct race was like and how it lived. The film was a Disney cartoon...

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
How ironic, I just finished Cosmos, the television program by Carl Sagen.

It always bums me out to think that he died before we made contact.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And that's just from the Vatican.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Way to let the so called cat out of the bag, dingus. :D
Nah, it's fine. Even here, among some of the most intelligent of the species, they'll blow it off as a joke. Watch. I'll bet you 20 fretars.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it's fine. Even here, among some of the most intelligent of the species, they'll blow it off as a joke. Watch. I'll bet you 20 fretars.
What if I think you're lying in an attempt to make us think you're lying?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they'll be bringing my rocket pack which I was promised back in 1962!

I'm still waiting!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
How does the line go?

Oh right

"I hold in my hand a device that can communicate with anyone anywhere, instantly give me directions from anywhere to anywhere, and can hold and play back multiple kinds of media and it is smaller than a media player of but a decade ago. We're living in the goddamn future already and you would have just crashed your stupid flying car anyway."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
We've got women. And cows. And cell phones. And rocket packs. The U.S. Patent office has been setting on our application since 1960, and the National Transportation Safety Board has already told us if we ever get a patent the rocket packs won't be approved for sale because the oil companies and automakers all swear they'll cause cancer.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
We've got women. And cows. And cell phones. And rocket packs. The U.S. Patent office has been setting on our application since 1960, and the National Transportation Safety Board has already told us if we ever get a patent the rocket packs won't be approved for sale because the oil companies and automakers all swear they'll cause cancer.

With good reason. Rocket fuel can cause cancer.

A chemical that interferes with normal thyroid function may cause cancer and persists indefinitely in the environment, but is currently unregulated by state or federal authorities.

Perchlorate, the explosive main ingredient of rocket and missile fuel, contaminates drinking water supplies, groundwater or soil in hundreds of locations in at least 43 states, according to Environmental Working Group’s updated analysis of government data.

Yes, I googled "rocket cause cancer". :D