Braving fears today---submitting

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Today I am submitting my second novel to the small press publisher I want to be published by. I've been focused on this press because I like it...it's the one I want. I came so close to being accepted by them this past year...and yet so far away. I got the chop in September and I've been putting off getting the next manuscript to them out of...I don't know what? I guess I feel the promise of being championed is scary. The promise is better, I suppose, than another rejection. But today...I think I've worked up the courage to click send and get this second manuscript into their hands. Below...I have pasted the publisher's last correspondence with me.

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry to leave you waiting so long. I drafted an email to you, trying to decide exactly what to say and I guess hanging on a little longer to see if there was any change of heart. As you know, we only publish a couple titles a year so a lot of consideration goes into which will be next. Sebastian's Poet was my first choice to publish, so I'm sad to say the review team has decided to go in a different direction. I wish you all the success with this amazing story, even if it isn't with
insert Publisher's name here. Also, I would love to see what else you have done as I think you are a very talented writer. I would suggest you submit to multiple publishers to increase your overall chance of being published; I would hate to see you miss any opportunity. But if your other work is anything like Sebastian's Poet, I'll be pushing for it here.

I think I should have sent them my next manuscript right away...but I think the offer will still stand. I hope it will. I'm off to send it in now. Yes...this is an accomplishment for me. I really thought I was going to let this one go and just live with the safety of having the promise.

Here goes...

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Aw Ktc,
Congratulations for your submission. It was a big step for you, so be proud of yourself!
Best of luck!
*hugs*

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and best wishes with this.

You know. I don't understand why you get so scared. You enter all types of your work to places that 'judge' your work and you win prizes. Why does this freak you out so much? If your work is good enough to win prizes....it must be good enough to be published when it comes to fiction.

Shake off this lack of self esteem and stand tall. You are a good writer....now....let the world know it. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
An author with your talent deserves to be published. When this comes out, and it will if you continue to bravely submit (or if this publisher takes you on), I'll be first in line for a copy.

Great good luck to you, Kevin!!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Fuck luck, and go with talent and perseverance. You have both.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Um, I don't mean to crap on anyone's "Good luck" I was trying to provide one of these
kick21.jpg

:D

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! I understand the need to take a break - the submission process is exhausting. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there again.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, KTC! It's tough to take that deep breath and push "send." Best wishes on a positive response.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
A: Good luck and B: remember that you are awesome.