PDA

View Full Version : Rejection! Hurrah!

fadeaccompli
01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
After years of writing and fearing actual submission, I finally (insert cliche here; maybe something involving biting bullets? or taking bulls by the horns?) and submitted one of my short stories to my favorite magazine.

Today, I got my very first rejection. It was friendly, specific, helpful, and encouraging. It hurt like a terrible simile in the middle of a good sentence. I was fully expecting it, and I still had to sit there in stunned "ow" for a moment before moving on.

I feel all grown up now. An actual rejection! It's a rite of passage. Sort of like paying the first student loan bill after graduation. Now I just need to go find more places to submit to, so that I can build up a proper author-like folder of real, authentic rejections.

(Ow. Does it always hurt that much? Or does it get easier after the first one?)

Vespertilion
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
The first one hurts like hell, then you start to get degrees of pain.

Form R--meh (unless it was a dream agent)

Form R for a submission with pages--Oh, crap, can I just not write?

Personalized R for a submission with pages--Ouch, but also, Yay! I have enough talent to take the time. What did she say that I can use?

Form R for a Full--Why do I bother? I'm obviously crap. I should just trunk it---
OR
What the Hell?!? They didn't even read this! This is BS!

Personalized R for a Full--Why do I bother? I'm obviously crap. Ah, well, I guess I should read this... Okay, okay, I can use this. This is good. Can I resubmit...?

R for your last full out--Goodbye, my love. Maybe someday I can take you out and polish you off. *single tear*
OR
Okay, Okay! I can fix this! It just needs work! I don't have to trunk it yet! This is too good to give up on! All you bastards will choke on it when I sell this! You'll see! *shakes fist at the heavens*

Silence--Is my email working? Should I send again? If I send again and she has it, is she going to reject me? But what if she never got it? I'll go check her blog and twitter and see if she's mentioned me....

Vespertilion
01-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Oh, and congrats for sticking your neck out there!

That's huge, truly.

thothguard51
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Once is never enough...

Keep at it, I am up to 50 various rejections, from form to personalized. I keep them in a binder. So I know who to shove the bird too when I get published. Naaa, I deserved to be rejected then, the stuff was crap...

PoppysInARow
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
I remember getting my first R. -le sigh- So many memories.

Welcome to the big kid game. It's full of ouchies, booboos and redos. But hey, that's life, right? :D

Calla Lily
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Congrats for getting it out there! Break out the champagne--you are now a member of The Club!

Now--send that puppy out again!

kellion92
01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Good for you! Keep at it!

IHeartWriting
01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Good for you!

Send it out again.

Toothpaste
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
There's a gentleman in another thread who admitted he was simply too scared of rejection to submit his work. In my mind the first rejection represents so much more than crossing into "all grown up" territory. It signals that you are willing to take a risk, that you realise your work is worth publication, and that you aren't going to let fear hold you back. It also most importantly makes you realise that, guess what, you don't die when you get rejected. Even more importantly - that you can get over it. That life can carry on, what's more you as an author can carry on. When you realise that despite rejection you are still going to submit your work, be vulnerable, take risks . . . well it's a very freeing experience.

So congratulations! You've accomplished something that actually very few do.

Greenwolf103
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the club. :)

fadeaccompli
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Aw, thanks, y'all. It really is encouraging to be, uh, encouraged. (I suppose that goes without saying?) I'm now waffling on whether I should send the same place another short story that I thought wasn't quite as good as the one I sent them, but is stronger in the specific areas they mentioned as needing work.

Time to go look for another venue for the first story. I'm not nearly as familiar with short story markets as I ought to be. I guess I can now use my lack of knowledge as a procrastination excuse: instead of writing, I can be researching!

Ken
01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
... good going with starting to sub. Best way to deal with rejection, I find, is to always have more than one thing out. That way when/if you get a rejection you can always think of your other submission(s) which are still pending at other pubs. And it's okay if they sting. What matters is continuing to get things out, while always trying to make each submission better than the previous one.

Bushdoctor
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
it doesnt get any easier with time

Saba
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
It's good to that you started submitting. I always feel bad when I get rejected, but it helps to have a few things sent out at once, and working on other projects while I wait helps too. Keep sending out your work.