PDA

View Full Version : A question on hairstyles.

LOG
01-25-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any medium/long, low-upkeep hairstyles that don't introduce any untoward stress on the hair. Like the kind of stress that leads to hair loss.

Stlight
01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I use a sort of loose scrunchie and keep checking to be sure it's there during the day. The scrunchie ends up riding between your shoulders for awhile before it falls out, but it keeps the hair out of your eyes and doesn't pull on the hair.

Matera the Mad
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Uh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh....

Libbie
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I was under the impression that it's hormones (specifically androgens), not hair styling, that leads to hair loss. If you're having trouble with thinning hair, you might want to consider making an appointment with a dermatologist and/or an endocrinologist to have your androgens checked.

sunandshadow
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
If you want your long hair not to break:
1. Wash it every other day, not every day. Use a fortifying/strengthening conditioner or leave-in conditioner.

2. Do not twist it, twisting a lock of hair around itself or a small object is about the most stressful thing you can do to hair.

3. Use a bristle-brush, not a pick brush or a comb. Brush from the bottom to the top, patiently working out tangles, no yanking. If you must yank, hold your hair right above the snarl with your other hand so you're not pulling on the roots.

4. Take a multi-vitamin and/or a vitamin specifically for strengthening hair and nails. Don't eat a super low-fat diet.

5. As far as hairstyle goes, I find that wearing my hair in a bun on top of my head keeps it cleaner, but I'm not sure it actually affects breakage. It might, because it can't get tangled when it's neatly bound, and brushing out tangles is one of the more violent things we regularly do to our hair. Also when it's on top of my head the hair isn't being pulled on by its own weight, or getting caught on things.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any medium/long, low-upkeep hairstyles that don't introduce any untoward stress on the hair. Like the kind of stress that leads to hair loss.

Given that you're a guy, the reasons for hair loss may be markedly different than for a woman. You've got that Y chromosome doling out fun things like male pattern baldness. About the best thing you can do for your hair, in terms of a hairstyle, is to leave it down. Don't pull it back into ponytails. (If you must, don't use rubber bands; they cause serious breakage.) Skip hats--they can tug at the hair. When it's wet/damp, don't brush; use a wide-tooth comb instead.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
A question on hairstyles.
Yes, mullets are cool.

LOG
01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
My hair is not currently falling it out... I'm being pre-emptive about this.

Mullet: Hmmmmm >.>
Ponytail: Kind of like the look, but I hear that they're stressful.
Short French braid: Not really a french braid, cause it'd be way shorter, basically a twisted ponytail, if that's any less stressful than the traditional one.
Short back and side: Seems to be the most stress-free, but also the most dull.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
This (http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens5830272module45367632photo_1247264056rat e_my_mullet.jpg) is Quickwit's mullet. That's just smokin' hot.

lucidzfl
01-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I prefer skullets over mullets.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Skullet.jpg

robeiae
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
That's hot, too. Looks like Haskins...

Libbie
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Okay, good. :) Well, it's androgens that make your hair thin/fall out, not hairstyles. Though hairstyles and brushing can cause breakage, as sunshadow pointed out.

If you don't have a family history of women with thinning hair, you really don't need to worry about this. Enjoy your hair without worrying.

If you do have a family history, you can be proactive about getting your androgens tested, and if they do begin to rise, you can take steps to correct that with medication, with a doctor's supervision.

rhymegirl
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I've had very long hair and find the longer it is, the more it breaks. My hair was always getting into knots/snarls and when you go to comb it out, you get breakage.

It's better now that I had it cut shorter. Layers are good, I think. And I agree about using a good conditioner.

jennontheisland
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I've got very long hair. I wash it once a week, and use oil on the ends (usually lavender and rosemary in a carrier) in addition to a high quality conditioner.

Pulling it tight will cause breakage (using chopsticks to create a bun resulted in enough breakage that it almost looked like I had really long bangs), but if you need it out of your face, and you're a guy, ponytails are just about the only socially acceptable means. If you're hanging at home and doing the dishes or something, a stretchy band of fabric used as a headband, or a bandana will keep it out of your eyes.

I also use combs to hold my hair back. 2 or 3 inches wide and curved... you lay the hair in one direction and put the comb in the other and it holds everything in place. You can get them near the hair ties, but they're a little rare these days.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I've had very long hair and find the longer it is, the more it breaks.

Ooooh yeah. Mine was waist-length for a while, and it was a pain to maintain. Split ends, breakage, and it was heavy--major stress on the scalp.

scarletpeaches
01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Ooooh yeah. Mine was waist-length for a while, and it was a pain to maintain. Split ends, breakage, and it was heavy--major stress on the scalp.Well hello nurse!

*cough*

I once went from a waist-length perm to a crop in one go, 'cause it was too much hard work to maintain it.

Also...even something as simple as a ponytail meant a huge strain on my neck. The weight of my hair kept pulling my head back.

cray
01-25-2010, 09:39 PM
If you want your long hair not to break:
1. Wash it every other day, not every day. Use a fortifying/strengthening conditioner or leave-in conditioner.

2. Do not twist it, twisting a lock of hair around itself or a small object is about the most stressful thing you can do to hair.

3. Use a bristle-brush, not a pick brush or a comb. Brush from the bottom to the top, patiently working out tangles, no yanking. If you must yank, hold your hair right above the snarl with your other hand so you're not pulling on the roots.

4. Take a multi-vitamin and/or a vitamin specifically for strengthening hair and nails. Don't eat a super low-fat diet.

5. As far as hairstyle goes, I find that wearing my hair in a bun on top of my head keeps it cleaner, but I'm not sure it actually affects breakage. It might, because it can't get tangled when it's neatly bound, and brushing out tangles is one of the more violent things we regularly do to our hair. Also when it's on top of my head the hair isn't being pulled on by its own weight, or getting caught on things.

pffft.

i just take prenatal vitamins.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
What's hair?

CaroGirl
01-25-2010, 09:45 PM
What's hair?
Check under your pits. See that stuff? Hair.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I shave my pits.

Cella
01-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Cray told me that pulling it out makes it grow fuller and thicker.

Sophia
01-25-2010, 09:50 PM
That advice also applies to testicles.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Well hello nurse!

*cough*

The Chi gods have been very good to my hair this morning.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Cray told me that pulling it out makes it grow fuller and thicker.

You should know by now that anything Cray says is wrong, and therefore wrong.

lucidzfl
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
If a man who never tells the truth says "I never tell the truth" What is the truth?

robeiae
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
He's a virgin.

lucidzfl
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
He's a virgin.

Am not! I've had had intercourse. With a person!

A GIRL PERSON!

scarletpeaches
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
...who came with her own puncture repair kit.

brokenfingers
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I still say you can never go wrong with a mohawk.

lucidzfl
01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
...who came with her own puncture repair kit.

Hey I'm fairly well off. My real doll does not puncture.

rhymegirl
01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
This (http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens5830272module45367632photo_1247264056rat e_my_mullet.jpg) is Quickwit's mullet. That's just smokin' hot.

Look at quicky.

Jersey Chick
01-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Who knew Quicky and Joe Dirt (http://miund.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/joedirt2ay.jpg) were the same guy???

I'm getting my hair (almost waist length) cut, and most likely short, in about an hour. I'm a-skeeered...

Sophia
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I loved getting my hair cut from long to short. It felt like washing it now took 5 seconds in the shower; it dried almost instantly and I could walk around without it becoming a bushy, frizzy mess from the air. I felt smartly turned out for the first time ever.

It took me nearly ten years to feel feminine again, though. My mental image of myself was still with longer hair, and all my clothes suddenly felt ridiculous, like I was dressing up. But I'm over it now. :) Short hair rocks! :D

Wayne K
01-26-2010, 12:03 AM
He's a virgin.
Where is Bunnah, anyway?

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Who knew Quicky and Joe Dirt (http://miund.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/joedirt2ay.jpg) were the same guy???

I'm getting my hair (almost waist length) cut, and most likely short, in about an hour. I'm a-skeeered...

Don't be scared. I did it in August.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 12:29 AM

I tried to cut all mine off last week(to a chin-length slanted bob) and my hairstylist wouldn't let me.

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 12:37 AM
I tried to cut all mine off last week(to a chin-length slanted bob) and my hairstylist wouldn't let me.

My daughter did that. She had very long hair prior to the haircut. I thought she looked very cute.

She says it has taken her a year to get back to long hair again. (she had one haircut in between to make it all one length).

William Haskins
01-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I loved getting my hair cut from long to short.

me too. the opposite, however, is often startling.

Sophia
01-26-2010, 01:33 AM
me too. the opposite, however, is often startling.

Yeah, yeah. :) I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

I meant it as opposed to long to medium, but thought it would be hil-hair-ious not to add that.

writeronfire
01-26-2010, 02:22 AM

Post a pic. We wanna see it.

LOG
01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
If a man who never tells the truth says "I never tell the truth" What is the truth?
Le gasp, Liar Paradox.

Jersey Chick
01-26-2010, 03:40 AM
I did it - almost 10 inches of hair gone. My stylist cut it to my shoulders, I looked at it, and did a "shorter, please."

And I discovered I have a neck. And a face! And my husband looked like a bus hit him when I walked in the door.

He thought I'd chicken out.

:D

We'll see how I like it tomorrow, when I have to style it instead of having the person with the know how and the license styling it. :D

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Good for you, JC.

We MUST see a picture!

robeiae
01-26-2010, 04:16 AM
That's not it in her avatar?

LOG
01-26-2010, 04:39 AM
That's not it in her avatar?
Shockingly, no.
I just learned from this post that she is a she.

robeiae
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
The "chick" wasn't a tip off?

Jersey Chick
01-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Whoa...

It's a good thing I don't have my heat miser avatar up any more, huh? ;)

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Rob, who is that in YOUR avatar?

Jersey Chick
01-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Wait... you mean that's not Rob-o-vowels??????

aadams73
01-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Wait... you mean that's not Rob-o-vowels??????

I just figured he'd been popping too many of Cray's prenatal vitamins.

robeiae
01-26-2010, 05:02 AM
It's our very own CeliaCyanide!

rhymegirl
01-26-2010, 05:31 AM
It's our very own CeliaCyanide!

I thought it was her, but wasn't sure.