PDA

View Full Version : Is Peyton Manning actually a god?

robeiae
01-25-2010, 02:52 AM
It's friggin' unblievable. I don't know how anyone can watch him without having their jaw hit the floor at least three or four times a game.

mscelina
01-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Peyton Manning is not only a GOD but he's a ROCKY TOP GOD.

Go Peyton! Go Peyton! It's your birthday! It's your birthday!

Of course, having a defense really helps too--but Garcon has had a hell of a game and Peyton...man...what can I say about Peyton? He is the man.

Only problem with him is that if he hadn't have gotten them to the point where they could kick that last field goal, I would have correctly pegged the score and won 5Gs, but I'm willing to overlook that tiny flaw.

Snowstorm
01-25-2010, 03:13 AM
He can pull off some amazing stunts. And that's just in the commercials!

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2010, 03:25 AM
I thought he was just the son of Archie Manning.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Peyton Manning is to football what Wayne Gretzky is to hockey.

MattW
01-25-2010, 03:33 AM
He's a god. Unless they pull him out of the last game where he could make a difference for a particular fantasy league...

Perks
01-25-2010, 03:38 AM
He's on my list. I don't know if he's a god, but I have negotiated with my husband for hookup rights should the situation ever arise.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 03:50 AM
What did you have to give up for those rights?

Jersey Chick
01-25-2010, 04:00 AM
Isn't he Eli's brother? ;)

Perks
01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
What did you have to give up for those rights?Halle Berry.

KTC
01-25-2010, 05:24 AM
i know all the gods and i never heard of this peyton manning girl, so i don't think she could possibly be one.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm not an Indy fan, but I like Peyton. That said, I'd say he's among the top ten QB's in my life, but not the best. It's not fair to compare "best of" in sports because there are so many things to factor in.

If you go by accomplishments, he's got one ring. His brother has that many, and Peyton is a far better QB than Eli.

Joe Montana wasn't the best athlete, but as far as being a winner, the man was the best to play the position. Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Fran Tarkenton,they were all as good, but I wouldn't put them in the same class as Peyton because combined, they have no championships.

Joe has what three? With less talent. That's a god in my opinion.

ETA: It was four rings, in four tries. That's pretty godlike

brokenfingers
01-25-2010, 06:53 AM
It's obvious this Peyton Manning person has made a dastardly pact with the devil.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Halle Berry.

I can see that. Many moons ago, I got the rights to Halle Berry for Pierce Brosnan.

Alpha Echo
01-25-2010, 07:48 PM
I can see that. Many moons ago, I got the rights to Halle Berry for Pierce Brosnan.

Once my SO and I started the List conversation, but my guy changed his mind b/c he said that as a female, if I actually ever ran into anyone on my list, would most likely have no trouble getting him in bed. My SO, however, said that as a guy, it would never ever work with anyone that would be on his list. And he hated the thought that it even might possibly work out for me one day, so we just had sex with each other instead of continuing the conversation. ;)

As for Payton Manning...even though I'm not rooting for his team, he is pretty incredible and pretty hot.

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
If he really was a "god," wouldn't he be undefeated and his enemies all smited dead with a lightning bolt? I haven't seen either.

But... he is a damned fine quarterback. A THINKING quarterback who probably wouldn't throw a key interception in the waning moments of a football game that ended up causing his team to lose.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I thought God didn't work on Sunday

Jcomp
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
He's gone into that zone where if he has the ball and the game is on the line, the other team has to be thinking "we're completely screwed." You just can't be confident if you're the defense and Peyton is running the 2-minute drill to win the game.

That said, he's a very mortal 9-8 in the playoffs, has experienced an inordinate amount of first round exits and still needs to get a 2nd ring before he can quite get into Football Olympus. At this point though, an eventual 2nd ring for Peyton seems inevitable. From there then he's jockeying for his place in the pantheon.

Wayne K
01-26-2010, 05:31 AM
In his defense, he ran into some damn good teams.

I think he's going to pick up number two this year.

robeiae
01-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Look at his career stats. He's matching all the greats, 'cept he's doing it with a higher completion percentage.

And he's a horse. Hasn't missed a start, yet.

Perks
01-26-2010, 06:08 AM
All that and this (http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603/saturday-night-live-united-way)? Why is there even a question in this thread title. Declarative statement, baby. All the way.

Jcomp
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
In his defense, he ran into some damn good teams.

I think he's going to pick up number two this year.

I think so too. But some of those teams weren't that good. Certainly not outright better than the Colts. They lost to a wildcard Steeler team at home. They lost last year to a 9-win San Diego team in the first round. In those years where they seemed incapable of getting past New England I'd wager the Pats were less "talented" overall. He's a phenomenal talent but up until that win against the Bears a few years ago he was the current incarnation of the "guy who can't win the big one."

I love the guy. He's phenomenally talented, seems personable and funny. I'm a huge Manning fan. Part of me wants him to win his 2nd ring, although another part would love to see New Orleans win one for the Gulf Coast. But you can't be a football "god" at quarterback unless you win multiple rings, or in rare cases unless you clearly didn't have the team around you to win it all. Peyton's had the teams and talent, they've just been stopped for one reason or another.

cray
01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
I think so too. But some of those teams weren't that good. Certainly not outright better than the Colts. They lost to a wildcard Steeler team at home. They lost last year to a 9-win San Diego team in the first round. In those years where they seemed incapable of getting past New England I'd wager the Pats were less "talented" overall. He's a phenomenal talent but up until that win against the Bears a few years ago he was the current incarnation of the "guy who can't win the big one."

mcnabb was kind enough to take over that role. :D

I love the guy. He's phenomenally talented, seems personable and funny. I'm a huge Manning fan. Part of me wants him to win his 2nd ring, although another part would love to see New Orleans win one for the Gulf Coast. But you can't be a football "god" at quarterback unless you win multiple rings, or in rare cases unless you clearly didn't have the team around you to win it all. Peyton's had the teams and talent, they've just been stopped for one reason or another.

agreed.
and with their defense this year,.....they really should win another.

Jcomp
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
agreed.
and with their defense this year,.....they really should win another.

I think so too. Not only that, but I think the whole "bend don't break / live and die by turnovers" style of New Orleans defense will get exposed by Peyton. I expect a good game but I don't see New Orleans keeping up unless they make some big plays on special teams or get quite a few breaks on the turnover front...

Perks
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
It's going to be difficult for me, because I love the precision of the Colts. They've made it difficult for me to watch ugly football (Baltimore Ravens, I'm looking at you.) And I just love Peyton Manning in general, but my heart, for this game, is likely to be with the Saints.

Technically I don't think there's much question that Indy's the better team. Hopefully I can find a way to have fun with my ambivalence that doesn't require the sacrifice of a nasty Monday morning hangover.

Jcomp
01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Can somebody please just make the monday after the super bowl a holiday already? I'm willing to give up Columbus Day for Super Bowl Monday. Make it so...

Perks
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Lol! I second the motion. Does that mean it passes?

SirOtter
02-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Even if he is divine, his receivers and the Colts' secondary don't appear to be. Congrats to the Saints.

And how about the Who, proving once again that m-m-m-my generation's music is better than anything current.

blacbird
02-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Even if he is divine, his receivers and the Colts' secondary don't appear to be.

I dunno. I thought that pass he threw so accurately to Tracy Porter was pretty divine.

caw

poetinahat
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
But... he is a damned fine quarterback. A THINKING quarterback who probably wouldn't throw a key interception in the waning moments of a football game that ended up causing his team to lose.

Wow. Talk about prescience.

robeiae
09-06-2013, 08:31 PM
A god reborn?

Seven TD passes in the opener for this season. That's pretty godlike...:D

mirandashell
09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
He's the most boring QB I've ever seen in my entire 30 years of watching NFL.

Snowstorm
09-06-2013, 09:09 PM
He is amazing!

And to think he makes all these amazing plays and TDs ALL by himself. /sarcasm

cornflake
09-06-2013, 09:15 PM
We won't really know until Tim Tebow starts talking about him all the time.

Orangetober
09-08-2013, 11:32 PM
One of my favorite QBs of all time...but as a 49ers fan, no one is above Montana.

Manning is infinitely more likable off-the-field though.