• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using real places and names

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I'm using a real company in a story, I thought I'd be true to reality, but I'm going to have to fib a little to make it work. Also, my description of this company isn't all that flattering.

Should I just make up my own name and setting, but otherwise keep it as it is? I realise that even if my story had been flattering to this company, it might still annoy people. Is there a value in using the real names and places?

I'm not worried about getting sued, even if that is a possibility. What would you do?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Use as many real names and places as possible, but create a fake name for the company at the center of the plot.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting that you're not worried about being sued. Do you think a potential publisher will be that nonchalant about lawsuits? I would advise you to change the name and location of the company and change the circumstances to ensure there is no unintended connection to companies or people, if you have anything negative to say about them.
Fiction's purpose is entertainment, not revenge.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
It's interesting that you're not worried about being sued. Do you think a potential publisher will be that nonchalant about lawsuits? I would advise you to change the name and location of the company and change the circumstances to ensure there is no unintended connection to companies or people, if you have anything negative to say about them.
Fiction's purpose is entertainment, not revenge.

Ha ha. I haven't worried about being sued because I just didn't when I was writing it. It's as simple as that. When it's just me and my text I will admit I am very cavalier about what is appropriate. This is stuff I sort out in editing :)

So, I am aware it might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.