How many scripts have you guys written?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
I was just curious how many FIRST DRAFT completed scripts everyone has wrote and how long it took them. Sure some of them may need an overhaul or be in the middle of a rewriting, but just curious to know what others are doing.

For me I started my screenwriting in april before I even barely knew what fade out meant, now i'm 1/4 done with my 4th screenplay and I have a new idea already ready to go and probably will have that one done also by the end of this month. So it looks like it will be for me 5 screenplays in less then my first 5 months of learning. None are final polishes yet.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Scripts

GonnaBeFamous said:
I was just curious how many FIRST DRAFT completed scripts everyone has wrote and how long it took them. Sure some of them may need an overhaul or be in the middle of a rewriting, but just curious to know what others are doing.

For me I started my screenwriting in april before I even barely knew what fade out meant, now i'm 1/4 done with my 4th screenplay and I have a new idea already ready to go and probably will have that one done also by the end of this month. So it looks like it will be for me 5 screenplays in less then my first 5 months of learning. None are final polishes yet.

I've written exactly five now, all taken to polished form. I can't write a second anything until the first is finished. I can do this with novels, do all the time, but some some weird reason, not with screenplays.

I've had none turned into movies, but I have had two and a half options. I say "half" because one of the deals was really more of a "let me hang onto this for three or four months" deal that didn't pay much. I also have one that's making the rounds, and one that I'm not sure is ever going to see the light of day because I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not at all sure I'd like to see a movie made from it. Right now I'm seriously considering hitting "delete" and writng somethign else.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I've written exactly five now, all taken to polished form. I can't write a second anything until the first is finished. I can do this with novels, do all the time, but some some weird reason, not with screenplays.

I've had none turned into movies, but I have had two and a half options. I say "half" because one of the deals was really more of a "let me hang onto this for three or four months" deal that didn't pay much. I also have one that's making the rounds, and one that I'm not sure is ever going to see the light of day because I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not at all sure I'd like to see a movie made from it. Right now I'm seriously considering hitting "delete" and writng somethign else.

How long did it take you to do this? Probably faster then most since you have novel experience.

Id rather let the thing sit gain some objectivity and then go back to it later while I work on something else in the meantime. Scrreenplays take a lot of polishing, so thats why I could never work on the same thing day in and day out for months till its perfect. I'd go crazy.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've STARTED many and only finished one but it's not quite worthy of posting... Well not yet that is!!! I'm waiting for the right time...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Speed

GonnaBeFamous said:
How long did it take you to do this? Probably faster then most since you have novel experience.

Id rather let the thing sit gain some objectivity and then go back to it later while I work on something else in the meantime. Scrreenplays take a lot of polishing, so thats why I could never work on the same thing day in and day out for months till its perfect. I'd go crazy.

The first draft is moderately fast. Usually two to three weeks. Then, just like a novel, it sits for a month and gets a second draft which takes anywhere from two weeks to a month. It sits again for a week, and then gets a final polish that takes a week or so.

But I put a lot of hours in when I'm working on a screenplay. Usually five hours per day, six days per week. When I work on a screenplay, I work only on that screenplay, which is a big reason why I don't write more of them. I can stop in the middle of a novel, write a second novel, and pick up where I left off on the first novel with no problems at all. I can't do this with a screenplay. Once I start it, I can't work on anything else until I finsih it.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GonnaBe:

I have no idea how you finished (or will soon be finished with) five screenplays in five months. Are you independently wealthy and have all this free time to write? Cuz if not, what is your secret? I work sixty hours a week and when in the middle of a screenplay, put in about 18-20 hours a week on writing. I consider myself fast if I finish just the first draft in a month. But the subsequent rewrites take anywhere from two to six months. Granted I'm never completely happy with the finished product, but when I'm finally satisfied with the damn thing I'm so mentally drained, I can't even consider starting another one right away. So how do you do it? Are those five screenplays revised to the point that you're confident enough to send them out? Or do you finish a first draft only, then move onto something else? And if so, why don't you see one through to the end of vast re-writes? Where do you get the stamina? The time? You're really Bill Gates, aren't you? Tired of ruling the world with your O.S. so you've decided to take on Hollywood.

Very clever, Bill.

And don't assume novelists have that much an easier time writing screenplays. Sure, they have a head start with basic story-telling skills, but screenplays and novels are such different animals, most can't handle it. F. Scott Fitzgerald may be the biggest example of this. He wallowed in Hollywood to no avail after a couple of successful novels (though the novels became more popular decades after his death). If it was easier for novelists to write for the screen you'd see them turning their own best-sellers into screenplays. But it doesn't happen often. I think part of the problem is they have to show not tell even more with screenplays than with novels, and have little room for character introspections they put in books. In other words, they can't tell us what's going on in the charcaters' minds the way they do in their novels, unless they use VO's, which are apparently Hollywood's least favorite bastard children.

Last edited:

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Member of the script a month club?

Good for you.

I assume you just get them down in a first rough draft only ( final draft is three rewrites/polishes takes around 4 months for most people) and then worry about rewrites later.

Anyone working at a modest pace of 4 pages a day (a few hours), 30 days isn't hard to get to 120 pages. But where is your time to get the idea, rough out an outline? Or do you just wing it?

I usually toy around and spend a few weeks thinking about the idea before I start writing and when I do, usually get a first draft in a month. So you could say a first draft takes me 6-7 weeks.

As for me. I wrote my first script in 1975 (age 10) after meeting Spielberg (long story but I'll tell it sometime), shot my first short film in 1976, started working (actually paid!) in the industry by 1983, made my own first feature in 1986 (didn't make post), sold my first feature script in 1988 and although I took a few years off in the nineties (to go back to college and finish off a degree in Film, I have written regularly until 2001, when I started writing exclusively and full time.

I have more scripts, outlines, synopsis' in my back pocket than I care to tell. But let's say I could sell one a year for the rest on my life and never have to write anything new.

Since 2001 I've been hired several times to do rewrites of other's work, optioned twice, consulted, and I moderate this board-- all this and I am a stay at home dad with a 4,3,and 2 year old. Luckily this fall two go to school. My days will be free to do much, much more.

JustinoXXV

Banned
Reaction score
Since 2003, I've written 7 scripts. To do the first draft, it takes me about two weeks. 4 of my screenplays are in first draft form. 3 of them have been through a couple of rewrites and are basically in Final Draft form.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Since May when I started writing scripts, I have written 2. One was an adaption of my first novel, I worked with a co-writer who had more experience in script writing than I did and together it took us about 4 weeks from finish to end. We were on a very tight schedule as my agent needed it by June 1st.

The second Six Days, I wrote in 6 days ironically enough. I came up with the idea for it on Friday had 22 pages and the outline done on Saturday and was finished by Thursday. I have no idea how long the rewriting process will take, but I definately have my work cut out for me as it seems I have a problem with dialog lol. Moving from novel writing to script writing is like learning how to write all over again. Sure the storytelling is there, but how you tell the story is completely different. Once I finish rewriting this one and finish my current co-writing script, I have two novels that need their time in the rewriting phase, and then hopefully they will either be off to my agent or a publisher (haven't decided if I want to try submitting on my own first or not) then onto the other story ideas banging at my creative doors.

Dang, this makes me tired!

And of course I have to factor in the newborn factor which will most likely put my writing on hold for a good 4 months until I start sleeping again, if not longer because of lack of free time. So who knows when I will get to my next script or how long it will take!

The ImagiNation

Registered
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to screen writing. I started about 3 years ago and have written 5 completed screenplays(the first being more of a short than and actual screenplay). All are in their first draft except two, the one I'm currently working on and another that will get heavy rewrites in the near future.

I also have atleast 3 screenplays that's never made it past page 50, and a few short treatments that may get developed into ideas soon.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Novels

gp101 said:
GonnaBe:

I have no idea how you finished (or will soon be finished with) five screenplays in five months. Are you independently wealthy and have all this free time to write? Cuz if not, what is your secret? I work sixty hours a week and when in the middle of a screenplay, put in about 18-20 hours a week on writing. I consider myself fast if I finish just the first draft in a month. But the subsequent rewrites take anywhere from two to six months. Granted I'm never completely happy with the finished product, but when I'm finally satisfied with the damn thing I'm so mentally drained, I can't even consider starting another one right away. So how do you do it? Are those five screenplays revised to the point that you're confident enough to send them out? Or do you finish a first draft only, then move onto something else? And if so, why don't you see one through to the end of vast re-writes? Where do you get the stamina? The time? You're really Bill Gates, aren't you? Tired of ruling the world with your O.S. so you've decided to take on Hollywood.

Very clever, Bill.

And don't assume novelists have that much an easier time writing screenplays. Sure, they have a head start with basic story-telling skills, but screenplays and novels are such different animals, most can't handle it. F. Scott Fitzgerald may be the biggest example of this. He wallowed in Hollywood to no avail after a couple of successful novels (though the novels became more popular decades after his death). If it was easier for novelists to write for the screen you'd see them turning their own best-sellers into screenplays. But it doesn't happen often. I think part of the problem is they have to show not tell even more with screenplays than with novels, and have little room for character introspections they put in books. In other words, they can't tell us what's going on in the charcaters' minds the way they do in their novels, unless they use VO's, which are apparently Hollywood's least favorite bastard children.

Novels and screenplays are indeed very different animals where the writing is concerned, but I've found that story structure and dialogue are pretty much the same. I do think it's easier for a novelist to learn to write screenplays than it is for a script writer to learn to write novels, only because one is leaving out and the other is putting in. Once I read a couple of dozen screenplays, I got the point. Keep the story structure and leave out the narration and most of the description. Ninety to one hundred and twenty pages isn't much writing, especially when many pages have very few words on them.

But you still have the beginning, the end, the basic storyline, and the necessary dialogue. That part was a cakewalk. The really tough part of learning to write a screenplay for me was teaching myself how to make sure character growth made its way into those pages. That was tough. I'm used to taking four to seven hundred pages to get in character growth. Figuring out how to put that same growth into no more than 120 very sparse pages took awhile. I think I studied screenplays and watched movie after movie for almost four months before the light came on.

Once it did, writing a screneplay proved a lot easier, for me, than writing a novel.

There have been quite a few good novelists who also proved to be good screenwriters, but I think the reason there aren't more is because most of us prefer writing novels. Or maybe more exact, we greatly prefer the way the publishing world works to the way Hollywood works. When I write a novel, it's my novel. An editor may make suggestion here and there, do a bit of clean up editing, but for the most part, she leaves my work the hell alone, and that's how I like it.

Right or wrong, I think a lot of us get the feeling that Hollywood is flat full of people who can't tell good writing from bad, who have no skills at all for writing, but still have the power to change whatever they want to change.

In publishing, it's the writer who is or isn't the hack, and if you're a good writer, there's no one above you to say otherwise. In Hollywood, even a great writer can have a dozen hacks above him, all of whom have the power to turn good writing into crappy movies.

When I write a novel, then good or bad, it's on my shoulders, and if it is good, it stays good. It's published as what it is, and that's that. In Hollywood even a great screenplay can be turned into horrid mush by other writers, directors, and producers. Or even by illiterates who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the written word. Hollywood is far too often writing by committee, and this is not how most novelists want to operate.

This certainly isn't true of the upper tier of Hollywood, but the maze of no talent, no training, no brain hacks many have to wade through to get to that upper tier can be frustrating to any writer. I can't remember who it was, but one screenwriter once described life in Hollywood as "Life in a Rabbit Hole," or something like that. I've found it's true.

The horror tales of Hollywood are the kind of things you would never have happen in the world of publishing.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Calabrese said:
Member of the script a month club?

Good for you.

I assume you just get them down in a first rough draft only ( final draft is three rewrites/polishes takes around 4 months for most people) and then worry about rewrites later.

Anyone working at a modest pace of 4 pages a day (a few hours), 30 days isn't hard to get to 120 pages. But where is your time to get the idea, rough out an outline? Or do you just wing it?

I usually toy around and spend a few weeks thinking about the idea before I start writing and when I do, usually get a first draft in a month. So you could say a first draft takes me 6-7 weeks.

As for me. I wrote my first script in 1975 (age 10) after meeting Spielberg (long story but I'll tell it sometime), shot my first short film in 1976, started working (actually paid!) in the industry by 1983, made my own first feature in 1986 (didn't make post), sold my first feature script in 1988 and although I took a few years off in the nineties (to go back to college and finish off a degree in Film, I have written regularly until 2001, when I started writing exclusively and full time.

I have more scripts, outlines, synopsis' in my back pocket than I care to tell. But let's say I could sell one a year for the rest on my life and never have to write anything new.

Since 2001 I've been hired several times to do rewrites of other's work, optioned twice, consulted, and I moderate this board-- all this and I am a stay at home dad with a 4,3,and 2 year old. Luckily this fall two go to school. My days will be free to do much, much more.

1st script was inspired by real life, so I didn't need an outline.

2nd script was inspired by real life, but a lot of it was dramatized, minimal preparation

3rd scriptw as a horror film and needed major outlining and thinking

4th script was an idea that had been brewing for a couple months and then a member here helped me refine my idea into something "better"

5th script idea is something that has been brewing also for a few months, and finally I've tuned it into something workable, haven't thought of the ending yet though becasue I want to get done with my 4th script before i worry about the 5th ideas.

I could easily have 6 or 7 scripts done by the end of this year. But I wont, I want to get the others polished and done before I do anymore then 5.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
GP01, of course they aren't finished draft. They are merrely a crappy draft. I don't put anymore hours then you. Probably about 14 hours a week and it takes me anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to finish a script, depending on the genre etc etc.

Id rather throw out at least 5 scripts and pick and maybe find 2 or 3 that I find marketable, then do 2 or 3 and find out only one is marketable(maybe).

Last edited:

JustinoXXV

Banned
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Right or wrong, I think a lot of us get the feeling that Hollywood is flat full of people who can't tell good writing from bad, who have no skills at all for writing, but still have the power to change whatever they want to change.

In publishing, it's the writer who is or isn't the hack, and if you're a good writer, there's no one above you to say otherwise. In Hollywood, even a great writer can have a dozen hacks above him, all of whom have the power to turn good writing into crappy movies.

When I write a novel, then good or bad, it's on my shoulders, and if it is good, it stays good. It's published as what it is, and that's that. In Hollywood even a great screenplay can be turned into horrid mush by other writers, directors, and producers. Or even by illiterates who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the written word. Hollywood is far too often writing by committee, and this is not how most novelists want to operate.

My, you show a lot of disdain for people in film.

Movies are totally nothing like publishing and with good reason. You watch a movie. You read a book.

It takes an entire team of people, from screenwriter to director to director of photography to actors and other crew, producers, and studio heads to make a movie.

What seems okay in a screenplay may not look good on the screen. The director will know this and will make appropriate changes. The dialouge or action in the script may have to be tweaked for the actor playing the part. Screenplays are rewritten because certain locations cannot easily be obtained, because certain effects would be too expensive, and for a million other reasons.

It has nothing to do with illiterates wanting to ruin someone's so called masterpiece. And keep in mind if you are asking people to put up millions to tens of milllions of dollars to produce your work, you'd better believe that they'll want influence. Actors and directors have their careers potentially on the line every time they accept a project, so they too DESERVE a say.

If a writer can't collaborate with people, then obviously he/she can't be a screenwriter. Also, novelists are writing things which are meant to be read. Screenwriters write things which are seen. They really do have very different agendas.

nganok

Life is Just a Dream
Registered
Reaction score
aspiringwriter said:
I've STARTED many and only finished one but it's not quite worthy of posting... Well not yet that is!!! I'm waiting for the right time...

I'm in the same boat - but i feel as though I've grown as a writer ten fold and when I do finally finish this one - it will actually be marketabel instead just a throw away due to basic errors.

P.S - take the Godfather off your quote - if somebody doesn't know what movie that line came from- they should find a new hobby.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well for the time being i'm not working on any screenplays...The one I wanted to work on isn't marketable... So for now i'm sticking with novels...

Status
Not open for further replies.