British military bed-making

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean in the present or the past? For inspections and stuff like that?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I recall seeing a documentary on TV following a set of recruits through basic training. The NCOs had to teach them to wash properly so I would expect bed-making got taught too.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
In the past. And I'm specifically wondering about the hospital corners (unless there is another giveaway technique for military bed making!)

Interesting! I suppose where the particular regiment was based may have an influence on how the beds were made. I would suggest you contact the National Army Museum http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/ who may be able to help you.

akmacca

Wants to get it right
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tommytippett.blogspot.com
I think that it would be safe to say that military bedmaking is an art. And hospital corners are mandatory when making a bed for inspection.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ain't no way in hell you're not going to get serious training, and reinforcement, in bed-making in any disciplined military in the world. It's right up there with learning how to stand at attention and salute. And God help you if you don't get it right.

caw

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
The BBC has a website http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/ that is basically people writing about what they went through and is very informative.

I have found many references to mattresses being in three sections and every morning after rising the sections were stacked on the bed and sheets folded. No mention at all of the U.S. hospital corners or anything like that.

I'm sure recruits were shown how to make the bed, but I received the impression from reading the stories that the Brits weren't as anal about the beds as the US was.