PDA

View Full Version : How many times did you fail your road test?

DustyBooks
01-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Because I just failed mine for stupid reasons for a second time and I feel really bad about it. It's like I can do everything but drive.

Wayne K
01-24-2010, 01:02 AM
It's dangerous out there. I think, even though it's disappointing, you're better off. I have at least a million miles under my belt, and I hate to drive now.

Study, take a defensive driving course of some kind, and get it the next time.

Sophia
01-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Chin up, DustyBooks. I think it's good to make mistakes early on like this, because it makes you more determined to never do them again. And you have stories now to share with other people when they go through what you just have. Be easy on yourself today, and then roll your sleeves up for next time. You'll get there!

kuwisdelu
01-24-2010, 01:09 AM
What was the stupid reason?

I've known people who've failed for some pretty stupid reasons...

Don't feel bad about it.

Wait... shouldn't this be in Office Party or something??

Rhoda Nightingale
01-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Once. No....actually, twice. Oh well, too late to change my poll answer now. For legitimate reasons, though. You really can't "cram" for a behind-the-wheel test.

Parametric
01-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Oops. The poll is probably making you feel even worse. :tongue

I passed first time - but I came within an inch of failing spectacularly. My driving instructor always taught me to put the car into first when I stopped so I could pull away easily. Unfortunately, I forgot. So I ended up pulling away from stationary in second gear. Nearly stalled in an intersection. :tongue

My mother bombed out of her driving test like 4-5 times in a row. She still blames her examiner.

Shakesbear
01-24-2010, 01:15 AM
DustyBooks you'll do it next time!

I passed first time because I had a brilliant neighbour who for the three months before my test took me out for a drive everyday and tested me on the highway code. He also gave me a love of driving - which I still have. A great freedom!

gothicangel
01-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Just starting this summer. Yes I'm 28!

So you have one up on me. :D

Polenth
01-24-2010, 01:51 AM
You didn't have an option for "I've never taken it". I tried to learn to drive, but I come from a car-free background. After two years of lessons, it was clear I'd never be good enough to pass the test. Driving for an hour a week wasn't enough for me to learn and feel comfortable driving (and I couldn't afford to pay for any more practise time).

It's probably for the best. I couldn't afford a car anyway.

Mechasa
01-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Learning to drive didn't come naturally to me at all. I had to give up on my lessons for a while because I just wasn't making any progress, but I went back to them about a year later and things kind of clicked into place then. It still took me three attempts to pass the test, though. I absolutely hated the whole process, but I got there eventually and I'm glad I stuck with it.

So don't feel too bad about it, I'm sure you'll pass it on your third go too :)

Chasing the Horizon
01-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I failed my driving test the first time for a very stupid reason. I can't parallel park. Couldn't when I was 16, and can't now. I'm a fantastic driver in every other way and had driven over 20,000 miles before I even took the stupid test. I would probably still be driving without a license except the second time I took the test I had a different instructor and he talked me through the parallel parking because he liked my car, lol.

The drivers licensing system in my state is a joke anyway. They make you parallel park but don't make you merge onto the highway or do anything else that actually counts.

icerose
01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
I thought the instructor wasn't going to pass me because I'd put a nail in the tire. Imagine that, a nail on the road and I hit it. It was obviously my fault for not seeing the nail sitting on the road. He did pass me, barely. Sad thing is the person in the car with me passed with flying colors (He was a coach she was a cheerleader) totaled her car in less than a week. Go figure.

My mom taught me how to drive and spent a lot of time with me going through it all so the actual test was no big deal, the instructor was just a total jerk because I wasn't on any of the sports or support teams. That's a whole other story though.

gothicangel
01-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Don't know if this will make you feel better, but my sister failed the first one. The instructor said she was dangerous :D

She passed second time with only three minors.

KellyAssauer
01-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Twice, the second time I had learned what to wear. Time and modesty won't let me comment too much further, except to say
damn it was low cut...

kayleamay
01-24-2010, 04:24 AM
I passed mine the first go round. My husband failed his. He swears this is proof of an unfair universe, because I drive over curbs on a regular basis. Don't worry DB. You'll pass. Just stay calm and go by the book.

Xelebes
01-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Haven't even attempted my drivers license. I don't feel too bad about it. I feel worse about my absolute phobia of driving, even though I know I have to factor in my sensory issues.

Fran
01-24-2010, 06:23 AM
I thought Americans were born with driving licences. ;)

I tried to learn but I can't reverse. Can. Not. Reverse. It makes no sense to me. I've never had the means to run a car anyway so even if I had passed I'd never have driven.

As an aside, Americans settling here have to pass the British test before they're allowed to drive. They can hire cars on their licences, but if they tried to buy a car here they'd need a UK licence. Seems our government doesn't rate the American licence. Oh, and if this happens to you, don't phone directory inquiries and whinge about it at length - they give out numbers, they don't make government policy. ;)

LaurieD
01-24-2010, 06:31 AM
My personal story won't cheer you up, but my grandmother's might...

When she was about 30 she decided she needed to learn to drive and my grandfather agreed to teach her.

She was doing ok on her first lesson, until he told her to turn.

"Turn right."

"Right?"

"Yes, right?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Turn right?"

"Yes! For God's sake! Turn right!"

She turned right.

Right up the middle of someone's front yard.

End of Grandma's driving lessons.

Shadow_Ferret
01-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Well, it could be worse. You could fail it 949 times (http://babyboomeradvisorclub.com/2009/11/10/woman-fails-drivers-license-test-949-times/).

regdog
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Passed first time. Haven't driven since. Someday I'll figure out why everyone I know insisted I have to have a license.

Parametric
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
As an aside, Americans settling here have to pass the British test before they're allowed to drive. They can hire cars on their licences, but if they tried to buy a car here they'd need a UK licence. Seems our government doesn't rate the American licence.

Is this not because Americans typically drive automatics and over here everything is manual?

brokenfingers
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I started driving at 14 but didn't take a road test until I was around 22.

And when I did, I only had one point deducted. I took it in my Trans Am and I was used to driving using only my thumb, so the DMV person took a point off for not having my hands at the ten o'clock and two o'clock positions. Until she told me that, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing.

Fran
01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Is this not because Americans typically drive automatics and over here everything is manual?

From what the nice American lady told me when she phoned 192 looking for the DVLA, our government doesn't consider the American test to be 'up to British standards'. Which is a polite way of saying they think it's too easy.

Jersey Chick
01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I passed on the first try, but back then, you either took your road test on a track in Princeton, or on the streets of Plainfield (not a city, but kind of close to being one). Everyone prayed to get Princeton and I did. The test was a piece of cake.

After 20 years of driving on NJ's hghways, I haz mad driving skillz. Having a Kamikaze mentality helps as well. :D

Yeshanu
01-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I failed first time, when I was sixteen. Took another driver's ed course when I was in my twenties, and passed.

I do recommend everyone take a certified driver's ed course, though. It's the one thing I would never teach my kids.

Adam
01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Passed first time.

If it makes you feel better though, it was a VERY close run thing. 24 faults out of a max of 25. The instructor counted them 3 times just to "make sure." The bastard wanted to fail me.

Day O'
01-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Failed the first one. Very nervous. Past the second one almost perfectly, probably because I was quite pissed about the whole thing. I tend to concentrate better in that state. :)

Susie
01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
None, I never took it. :D

rhymegirl
01-25-2010, 02:05 AM
I only took the road test once and passed.

I took lessons through a driving school. He showed me exactly where I would be taking the road test in the city and I practiced a number of times before the test.

Thank God I didn't have to parallel park for the road test. I still can't do that. But I've been driving for about 30 years and I've never been in an accident.

Charlee
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I hated driving I really didn't take to it. I used to get so worked up and feel ill in the car and I couldn't see myself ever getting the hang of it. Then a friend suggested I try an automatic to get used to being on the road without all the gears head ache and bang just like that it was easy.

I drive a lot now but I will never go back to manual it's too stressful.

Do American's only drive automatics then?

Cella
02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I passed the road test the first time but had to take the written 3, I think.

aadams73
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
As an aside, Americans settling here have to pass the British test before they're allowed to drive.

I moved from Australia to the US and had to do the same after a certain period of time. The American test was a total joke, or maybe they were just easy on me. I did little more than drive around the block. I did have to force myself not to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand, which is how I tend to drive.

I drive a lot now but I will never go back to manual it's too stressful.

No, they drive both.

I learned to drive in a manual and loved it. Actually, I never did drive an automatic until I moved to the US. And the only reason I did that is because I just can't drive a manual with the gear stick on my right. I don't know if it's because I'm left-handed or if my brain just doesn't want to adapt, but...I just can't get that coordination going. So I drive an automatic now.

KellyAssauer
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM

No, my parents insisted that I learned to drive anything, so that I could manage my way out of what ever emergency might befall me.
So I drive a standard (and some pieces of farm equipment! )

-of course that was back a few years weeks (cough - cough) before cell phones were invented =)

Silent Rob
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
What's a road test? I'm going to drive down to the library and check this out.

aadams73
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
No, my parents insisted that I learned to drive anything, so that I could manage my way out of what ever emergency might befall me.

My folks said the same thing. Wise, they were.

semilargeintestine
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Passed it the first time, but I learned to drive when I was very young, so I had a lot of practice before the test. My father taught me to drive stick on his police car when I was 8 or 9. Parallel parking and driving in general has always come easy to me. I enjoy being in the car.

ad_lucem
02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
None, I passed the first time.

BUT....

1. I was driving an automatic.
2. I went to the city founded by a retirement community (the place all the crappy drivers go to pass--they didn't even test on parallel parking).
3. More than once the driving test lady requested that I try NOT to kill her in a fiery autocrash (particularly after I blew through a 4 way stop).

So, sometimes passing is kind of like real estate in that it's all about: location location location.

:D

semilargeintestine
02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
It's way too easy to get--and especially keep--a driver's license in this country.

Fran
02-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I moved from Australia to the US and had to do the same after a certain period of time. The American test was a total joke, or maybe they were just easy on me. I did little more than drive around the block. I did have to force myself not to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand, which is how I tend to drive.

Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians don't have to sit the British test if they move here. I don't know if it's a Commonwealth thing. Anyway, the nice American lady nipping my ear about it was from Michigan or somewhere and saying if she'd been born 30 miles further north she'd have been fine. :D

ad_lucem
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
It's way too easy to get--and especially keep--a driver's license in this country.

In my defense, I'm a much better driver now than I was at 16 and my driving record is clear. :)

I can even parallel park, now.

At 16, though. That retirement community MVD was a godsend. Mainly, because my nerves always get me on tests.

DustyBooks
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians don't have to sit the British test if they move here. I don't know if it's a Commonwealth thing. Anyway, the nice American lady nipping my ear about it was from Michigan or somewhere and saying if she'd been born 30 miles further north she'd have been fine. :D

That's strange. It makes sense with Australians and New Zealanders because they drive on the left, but Canadians drive on the right, so why shouldn't we have to do the test?

otoh, it sounds like our driving tests are harder than in the US. And I drive an automatic. ETA: accompanied by my dad.

ETA: I also took certified driver's ed. I've had my learner's for 4 years. I'm 20.