Ocean gender

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Can oceans be described as a "she?" Or should I use "it" at he end of the following sentence:

The only sound was the swish of the sea as the bow cut through her.

Thanks!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Off hand I think the ocean is more often referred to in the feminine (Mother Ocean and The sea is a cruel mistress.) Or, from my last Atlantic crossing, "She's a cold bitch."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The ocean gods are typically male, but the ocean itself is usually referred to as feminine in literature, and in sailor parlance, just as ships are feminine.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All that was pre-political correctness. Now each hurricane can also be a himmicane, so as a group they should be itticanes. Thus, the sea can no longer be a harsh mistress or even a harsh mister, but must be asexualized to "a harsh neuter."

Seriously, you could drop the last word and have a meaningful sentence without all the jokes: The only sound was the swish of the sea as the bow cut through.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
I can't think of any instance where the ocean is referred to as either he or she, unless someone is personifying. If you're personifying you can take your pick. There's no personification in the original post, so I'd stick with it. All the other examples (mother, mistress, bitch, Oceanus) first personify and then use the appropriate gender.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Bodies of water and storms--also having to do with water (think huricane)--are oft times referred to as 'she'...same goes with their ships...but they think it bad luck to HAVE a female on board.