PDA

View Full Version : Second book, Different Genre - What to do?



PrincessVader
01-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I looked through some threads and the FAQ's, but I'm not finding anything on this.

I have a second book that is almost complete. It is a completely different genre. One is YA Fantasy and one is Women's genre.

Can I send queries to the same agents I'm sending my YA Fantasy to? I'm finding that many agents represent both.

Suggestions anyone?

jvc
01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Porting this to Ask the Agent, good luck :)

Danthia
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Most agents handle multiple genres, so if you know you enjoy writing in several, targeting agents who handle both is a good idea. But until you actually have an agent and sold a book, you aren't locked into anything. Send your queries to the best agents for that book and worry about the rest later. You might consider skipping agents who specifically say "no X" of a genre you write in if you know you're going to do more books in that genre.

Don't send two queries for two different books to the same agent at the same time though. (just hit me your question could be taken this way) Send the best book to each agent and let them make a decision on it. If they reject one, wait a while and and send the other. Length of time varies, I've read 3 to 6 months and 1 to 3 months. I'd say 3 months would be a good middle ground.

PrincessVader
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Most agents handle multiple genres, so if you know you enjoy writing in several, targeting agents who handle both is a good idea. But until you actually have an agent and sold a book, you aren't locked into anything. Send your queries to the best agents for that book and worry about the rest later. You might consider skipping agents who specifically say "no X" of a genre you write in if you know you're going to do more books in that genre.

Don't send two queries for two different books to the same agent at the same time though. (just hit me your question could be taken this way) Send the best book to each agent and let them make a decision on it. If they reject one, wait a while and and send the other. Length of time varies, I've read 3 to 6 months and 1 to 3 months. I'd say 3 months would be a good middle ground.


Thank you very much for the information! That help me decide what to do.

:Sun: