How Do You Choose Who To Submit To?

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I am finally now polishing my Query and trying to figure out who best to submit to. I am trying to compile my Top 25 List and am having a hard time choosing from the plethora of Agents out there.
I being from Canada will most likely try out the 4 or so here that are accepting Queries, however some seem to want exclusivity for 6 weeks (and only accept from Canadians) would that be a turn off for some of you? Any tips you might have one how to pick the best ones and what to look for would be great!
Thanks

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Alisha, you need to find agents who represent the genre you write in; and who represent writers who work in the same sort of area that you do. Book shops are a good resource: find books like yours, and check out the acknowledgements. Lots of writers credit their agents there, and it's a good way to find a few useful names.

ryewhiskeyjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Agents

AlishaS

You'll find that a lot of agents are going to want exclusivity when it comes to reading a complete manuscript, though most who ask only for a chapter or two would like to know out of professional courtesy if others are considering it.

But no agent would or should ask for exclusivity for a query. If you have a list of 25, send the letter to half of them now, then the other half in about a month. Particularly, if the agents will accept e-mail queries they'll get back to you rather quickly. You should get though the list of 25 pretty quickly.

But I agree with the rest of the advice in this thread, choose the agents who represent what you write. Don't send blind queries. Most good agents have websites and/or blogs. Read them. Find out what they're selling. Find out who else they represent and what they write. The more you know the better off you'll be and the easier it will be to find the right one.

Good luck!

ryewhiskeyjoe

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Relatively few agents even ask for exclusivity on a partial manuscript. It's more common on fulls, but even then, not all of them expect to be the only person reading it.

As for how to find them, you want to submit your queries to agents who represent books that are much like your own. A good way to start narrowing this down is to identify the genre of your book. For example, I wrote a book that can be described as historical fiction for its setting (ancient Egypt) or as literary fiction for its narrative style. So I looked for agents who represent historical and/or literary fiction.

AgentQuery.com is a great place to search. You can also search on Publisher's Marketplace -- you'll need to arm yourself with book titles or authors, though, and then you can use the "Who Represents" search feature on PM to find out who represents some of your favorite books and authors.

Once you have a nice, long list of people who represent the kind of book you've written, you need to research each one. You'll have your own criteria for your list. I kept agents on my list only if they'd had major sales in the past year, and only if they'd sold a debut novelist to a major publishing house in the past three years. (You can find all this out on AgentQuery, on agents' web sites, and on Publisher's Marketplace.) These criteria were important to me because my personal goals include getting a relatively large advance for my book and signing a contract with a big publishing house. You will need to adjust your criteria for agents based on your own personal goals.

Once you've pared your list down, then research all names again, this time checking Preditors & Editors to see whether there are any complaints against these agents; checking to see whether they charge any fees; and other red flags. Generally, if you've found agents who are successfully selling books within the past year, you've found reputable individuals who are serious-minded and are not defrauding their clients -- but it's always better to be safe than sorry, so double-check.

It took me about two weeks of research to put together a list of fifty agents to whom I submitted my query letter. So far, this has resulted in five requests (two partials, one partial turned full, and one full directly from the query package.) So you'll also need to be prepared to have a high rejection rate! That's just the way it goes -- agents are human, and not all of them will be keen on your idea. :)

Good luck! Let us know if you have more questions.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AlishaS

You'll find that a lot of agents are going to want exclusivity when it comes to reading a complete manuscript, though most who ask only for a chapter or two would like to know out of professional courtesy if others are considering it.

But no agent would or should ask for exclusivity for a query. If you have a list of 25, send the letter to half of them now, then the other half in about a month. Particularly, if the agents will accept e-mail queries they'll get back to you rather quickly. You should get though the list of 25 pretty quickly.

But I agree with the rest of the advice in this thread, choose the agents who represent what you write. Don't send blind queries. Most good agents have websites and/or blogs. Read them. Find out what they're selling. Find out who else they represent and what they write. The more you know the better off you'll be and the easier it will be to find the right one.

Good luck!

ryewhiskeyjoe

I'll disagree that a lot of agents require exclusivity on maunscripts - some do, but I'm not sure that it's many as most of the ones I queried and had on my query list did not require exclusivity at any stage.

But for the rest, I agree. Research the agents who represent your genre to see who they represent, what kinds of books they like, what they say they are looking for, etc. You can read their blogs, online interviews with them, their twitterfeeds and about them on AW, agentquery, querytracker, publishers marketplace, etc.

Look up books you think are similar to your book and writing style and see who represents those authors.

There is a lot of information available beyond the genre they represent.

Happy researching.

~suki

Danthia

Here's my Handy Dandy Guide to picking agents. This is pretty much what I did, with links to the sites I used.

The six-week exclusivity wouldn't bother me if those four agents were at the top of my wish list. I'd just use those four as a test for my query letter. It is unusual to see exclusivity with a query though. If you have other agents you're more interested in, you might think about skipping those for now. You really have to decide for yourself if it's worth waiting, or worth eliminating other potential agents if one of those four makes you am offer.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
AlishaS

Not true. Didn't have a single request for an exclusive from any of the agents who read my MS.

But no agent would or should ask for exclusivity for a query.

Also not true. There are agents who expect exclusives right from the start, but they tell you that up front so they're easy to avoid.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Hello and thank you for your help, it's all very straight forward and I think easy to manage with the handy Querytracker that has been suggested.

As for the Agents who request exclusivity, they say on their website that's what they want (you are to submit your first 50 pages with the query) and they are in Canada and only will look at Canadian Authors. So as it would seem this is not the norm which makes me feel better.
I will leave them for later.