PDA

View Full Version : Roll up, roll up to buy a hole in the ground

Fran
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8470382.stm

A big ol' granite quarry is up for sale. I always knew Aberdeen was stuffed full of exciting tourist attractions (;)) but this could be the best one yet! I think it'd be an ideal bungee-jumping centre. And only 30,000 (roughly $US45,000)! Bargain!

What would you do with it?

bettielee
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
My ancestors did this in Oklahoma already.

I'm not falling for it again.

Fran
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
If anyone from AW buys it I'm going to demand an estate agent's fee. :D

Mr Flibble
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
What we do is, we buy it, load it with beer and bungs to lure all the MPs in, then when they're scarfing down all the free stuff, we get it filled in.

Tada!

Fran
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
What we do is, we buy it, load it with beer and bungs to lure all the MPs in, then when they're scarfing down all the free stuff, we get it filled in.

Tada!

Ooooh. And it's big enough to take the Scottish Parliament too...

aadams73
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd fill it with the bones of my enemies. But I don't have many of those, so I'd fill the rest with clowns.

BenPanced
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Annoying coworkers qualify as "clowns". I'm certain of that.

bettielee
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
and the idiot customers that complain about the price after the fact.

Fran
01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
This is taking an unexpectedly homicidal direction.

I like it. :D

Xelebes
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
The architecture and geography nut in me would convert the quarry into a stadium or a lake.

KTC
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
i know a whole bucketful of assholes i'd like to see in that hole. i'd buy it to put them in it, too...if it weren't Thursday.

BenPanced
01-22-2010, 01:49 AM
i know a whole bucketful of assholes i'd like to see in that hole. i'd buy it to put them in it, too...if it weren't Thursday.
Wimp.

KTC
01-22-2010, 01:55 AM
Wimp.

don't make me buy that hole.

Fran
01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Hmmm... it seems like there's general consensus.

Throw every arsehole in the world down there in a Thunderdome-type experiment. The last person standing gets a prize. The prize is a two-foot rope ladder and half a loaf of bread.

KTC
01-22-2010, 02:05 AM

Throw every arsehole in the world down there in a Thunderdome-type experiment. The last person standing gets a prize. The prize is a two-foot rope ladder and half a loaf of bread.

i like that. they're still gonna die down there...but the bread will keep them alive long enough to make them sick of the stink of rotting corpses. nice.

Mr Flibble
01-22-2010, 02:11 AM

And we post the video on youtube and get famous, right?

CACTUSWENDY
01-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Goodness. I am surprised that you all have so many bad folks you have to deal with. You really need to get out more and change the folks you don't like much.

If I could buy a hole in the ground???? Hum. I would use it for a lake also. We could buy/rent/concoct a 'monster' of sorts and sell front row seats to view it swimming along. One of you could write a neat 'story' to go along with it. It could become the next 'urban myth. Just think of the millions we could make from that. I want the T-shirt sales. I see big bucks in this for everyone.

Fran
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
And we post the video on youtube and get famous, right?

Well, yeah. And if we can get Wendy's monster in the video, that's a whole other cash cow right there. The money-making potential is endless.

Mr Flibble
01-22-2010, 02:57 AM
We could get the monster to hide until there's only one person left and then CRUNCH!

I am hearing the Kerching right now. This time next year Rodney, we'll be miwyonaires.

Fran
01-22-2010, 03:06 AM
The monster will also help dispose of the bodies, um, evidence, em, losers.

I wonder how much of a sense of humour Grampian Polis have got...

Ambrosia
01-22-2010, 03:17 AM
I am thinking "lake" is a no brainer since it's already filled with water. Add some fish and you are good to go.

aadams73
01-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Ok, seriously now, because it seems like a waste of a good hole to throw in the bones of fewer than a handful of people...

I'd drain it and use it for climbing. That sounds like fun to me. I've committed to going ice climbing at the end of the year anyway, so it would be a great place to build up my strength and stamina.

Fran
01-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I am thinking "lake" is a no brainer since it's already filled with water. Add some fish and you are good to go.

Megalodon! :D

Raaaaaahr!

Mr Flibble
01-22-2010, 03:50 AM

Lake where we drown politicians in their own greed before they get eated by the monster and we post it on youtube, thankyouverymuch

williemeikle
01-22-2010, 06:17 AM
I remember going to see that quarry as a lad, long before they filled it with water. The sheer size of the hole made a big impression on five-year old me.

kayleamay
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm thinking giant water feature. Something like the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, but ten times bigger and only set to the toe tapping melodies of David Hasselhoff. It could serve a dual purpose. Gawdy display of westernized fabulosity AND final resting place for those who have wronged IRUS, aadams and Fran.

Fran
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm thinking giant water feature. Something like the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, but ten times bigger and only set to the toe tapping melodies of David Hasselhoff.

Is it big enough to hold Hasselhoff's ego, though?

It could serve a dual purpose. Gawdy display of westernized fabulosity AND final resting place for those who have wronged IRUS, aadams and Fran.

Don't forget those who have wronged KTC. We're leaving no one behind... :D

Rarri
01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
But if you drain the quarry, you have to consider what you'd find at the bottom... I can't even remember where the damn thing is in Aberdeen.

Fran
01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
But if you drain the quarry, you have to consider what you'd find at the bottom...

Great big scary sharks! :D

I can't even remember where the damn thing is in Aberdeen.

The BBC article says it's in the heart of Aberdeen's west end.

Priene
01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
We had a hole in the ground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SinkingBusEarlhamRoad.jpg) in Norwich once.

Fran
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM
We had a hole in the ground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SinkingBusEarlhamRoad.jpg) in Norwich once.

And I thought nothing exciting had ever happened there...