What should I do with this extra character?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
In my current WIP, my ten year old protagonist is visting his aunt and uncle, and is spending time with his cousins who are 12 and 14.

Although I'm building a good rapport between the main character and his 14 year old cousin, I haven't found anything for the 12 year old to do. In all the scenes I've been working on, it's like the 12 year old is invisible. He never speaks or does anything. Truth is, I can't figure out what to do with him.

I put two kids into this family to make it more of a family-family, but I'm torn about this character. I'm thinking about cutting him out completely, but that would make the familiy smaller. Now the 14 year old wouldn't have a brother.

Is the 12 year old crucial to the story? Not yet, but I planned to put him into jeopardy later on. Just right now, he kind of just stands around, waiting for me to put words into his mouth. If he's not in the scene, he hides in his room waiting for his cue.

Ideas?

underthecity

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
underthecity said:
Is the 12 year old crucial to the story? Not yet, but I planned to put him into jeopardy later on. Just right now, he kind of just stands around, waiting for me to put words into his mouth. If he's not in the scene, he hides in his room waiting for his cue.

Ideas?

underthecity

Maybe you could send him off to summer camp.

Or maybe he's kind of an odd boy who spends all his time in his room inventing things, drawing ligers and playing RPGs on his computer. Perhaps he's just antisocial.

On the other hand, if the 12 year old ends up in jeopardy later, do you even need the 14 year old?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm not sure how you plan to put this character into jeopardy later on--is he going to be the object of the situation or the cause of it? If he's the cause, you may want to have him pulling little stunts on the 14 year old to get him into the picture. If he's the victim of the situation, maybe try to show his "quiet" character so the situation has more impact later. Maybe try some dialogue between the parents about how different the boys are.

Just a suggestion. :)

Last edited:

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
If you really do need him (that is, if the jeopardy bit later is vital, and this scene could not be shoved onto the fourteen year old) then find something about him that is unique. Anything. He rescues birds with broken wings, he likes to lie on his back watching clouds, he sings Britney Spears songs in the kitchen while making toast...anything. One scene in which he and the protagonist interact should be enough, if it's well done. Then cut him from the rest of the scenes where he isn't being used and follow the other good suggestion above and have him off doing voluntary work at the animal shelter, day-dreaming in the garden or listening to Britney Spears in his room.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks for the comments. I need to point out that the story takes place near the end of World War II. This is historical fiction, very immersed in its time and place. Part of the goal of the story is to show modern young readers what it was like to have lived during the war.

So, no rpgs, etc. Radio, though, plays a major part.

Later in the story the 12 year old will be the object of a situation, i.e. he is going to get lost in a huge huge crowd.

However, I'm building a relationship between my main character and his 14 year old cousin. The 12 year old should push himself in the middle of them. I just haven't gotten it all worked out yet. This is my first children's story, after having written three local history books. I'm developing it as a chapter book.

I have a basic outline, but I can easily deviate from it. I know exactly where I'm going with the story, but along the way characters could change or disappear, or their ages could change, who knows.

Zolah, you responded while I was typing the above. The 14 year old is the truly unique character. He is what was called a "hep cat" and his language is sprinkled with hepster lingo. And at 14 years old, in reality he probably would have.

Almost forgot one other thing. After the main character arrives at aunt's and uncle's house, uncle had to take aunt to the hospital because she is having a baby, which will be born about seven hours from then. So the cousins have the extra tension of having a newborn on the way. The main character's mother is in town to help out while all this is going on.

Maybe I should make the 12 year old younger, say about 5 or 6. That would definitely make things more difficult for everyone involved.

Oh, and the kids are definitely not like those in the movie "Overboard." The 14 year old is one responsible hepster.

Thanks again! Wonderful suggestions.

underthecity

Last edited:

Niesta

Canada's sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
If your protagonist is 10, and he's more interested in the 14-year-old cousin than in the one closer to his age, that could create some useable tension. There might be jealousy; there would almost certainly be competition. If the 12y.o. is wedging himself into the middle of the other two, they might find him dorky and annoying, which would lead to some "why weren't we nicer to him?" regrets when he goes missing.

Just my initial thoughts.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Have you considered deleting the character from the story and shifting the jeopardy that character experiences onto the 14 year old instead? How does that affect your story's outline? Improve it or make it worse?

It'd be hard to pull off convincing the reader to care as much about a character in peril when there isn't much emotionally invested in that character.

Rather than trying to force this character into a story which he/she may not (objectively) fit (and I'm not saying that's necessarily what you're doing), try to see if the story can still work, and possibly work better, without him/her (commonly referred to as "killing your babies.")

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
character

Just an opinion based on the way I work, but when faced with something like this, I finish the story and then make the decisions. It's often easier to see who needs to stay, who needs to go, and what to do with those who stay, after the story is finished.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It's been a few days since I posted, and I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. This is what I've decided, and all subject to change, of course.

My main character is 10. I'm aging him to 12 so he'll have slightly more sensibility and maturity, and so he'll be closer in age to his 14 year old cousin.

The character I mentioned who is 12 is now 6. He can be the bratty cousin who gets in the way and wants the attention.

And Jamesaritchie, I am going to remember your advice and possibly delete the 6 year old, but will wait until the end to see how he works out. A 6 year old getting lost in a crowd could have more dramatic possibilities than a 12 year old.

Til then, it's writing, rewrites and more rewrites.

Thanks again!

allen

watcher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
askthepsychic.blogspot.com
Why don't you write the scene that he's in now and see if some of his character comes out?

I think you have him for a reason and you just haven't got the whole puzzle piece figured out yet. Younger siblings tend to follow the older ones around and want to do what they're doing; they feel a great desire to keep up. Have you asked him what he thinks of what his brother is up to? Ho he's do it differently? What he's be scared of? What he has that his brother doesn't? What you want the reader to feel when he's in jeopardy?