Interpol question

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, Interpol has no investigators of its own, it merely exists to facilitate international cooperation among various law enforcement agencies.

Is that correct?

If so, what agencies in the UK, France and Germany would be most likely to work through interpol to bust up things like international gambling, smuggling or related activities?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what is meant by international gambling.

Smuggling, is it people smuggling or alcohol etc? Is it getting stopped as they get to Customs and Excise or breaking up the gangs?

Not completely up to date with EU regulations, but EU countries have their own control over these areas. If it is gangs, I would suspect it would to do with MI6 in the UK.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

The particular criminal activity here is going on in international waters, and is a mix of gambling and illegal fighting (people betting on fights to the death, that sort of thing).

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
JustAnotherWriter, I'm going to take this thread over to the Experts forum. You'll get even more great responses, I'm sure. :)

BudMan

Registered
Reaction score
Interpol is an information cleariung house. They have no arrest powers or investigative authority in any country.

Gambling in international waters is not illegal, per se. If it is done on a flagged ship, that is, a ship registered to a particular country, that country's laws pertain and if their laws were violated they would have jurisdiction.

It is quite common to have a perfectly legal gambling operation or other "criminal" enterprise beyond the 12 mile limit off shore. There have been many cases of operations like that being done. One of the more famous was the illegal pirate radio stations transmitting rock and roll into Britain during the late fifties of the last century. (I love saying that. Am I dating myself?)

Smuggling would come under the laws and investigative agencies of wherever the smuggling was occurring. Here in the US it would be the Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) unit of the Department of Homeland Security.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Budman,

Yes, I had gathered that much about Interpol. What I need to know is what agencies in the UK (got that one, SIS or MI6), France and Germany would investigate an international crime. In the US I'm assuming it would be the FBI.

The crime in this case is not the gambling, it's what they're gambling on...fighting to the death.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
J.A.W.

If you're looking for France, you might like to check this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_centrale_du_renseignement_intérieur

There's been quite a bit of re-shuffling recently, same as with the United States and its Department of H.S.

As far as the situation goes: unless the ship is flagged, there isn't really any operating jurisdiction in international waters. What happens on the pirate ship, stays on the pirate ship, so to speak. Now if the citizens of a particular country are involved, i.e. it's known that a U.S. citizen is being held hostage, then that can become a military/Navy operation such as happened recently with the hijacking of the Maersk Alabama.

If such a ship is in international waters, but still reasonably close to, let's say China or North Korea, the navies of either country might decide to round it up on general principles. Not because they had jurisdiction, but just because they could.

Hope that helps.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
justanotherwriter, as Budman has said, there are plenty of ships that go out into international waters for gambling purposes. It's MASSIVE, MASSIVE (did I mention it's big?) business here in South Florida, with at least five or six ships that I can think of offhand.

Of course, fighting over people dying, well that hasn't been really legal in the Western World since the gladiator days.

But I would say this to you, write the story first. Don't worry about legalities, or laws, or anything like. Get the story first, then see what the law is. If it matches up, great. If not, fudge it up to fit the story. As my wife always tells me when I have this issue, "It's fiction, right? So make it up!"