What new computer should I get?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be one of those guys who actually knew what kind of computer to get. I'm still not the kind of person who'll buy from a big manufacturer but I have fallen out of the hardware game.

I only buy a new PC about every 10 years, so whatever I get needs to last me for a while.

I know I want a min of 6 gigs of ram, possibly 8. I know I want a quad core (minimum) system... I don't really care about hard drive space...

Now here's the thing. I don't really play games on the computer. I have an xbox 360 but I only play it on the weekends. During the week, I write only. However, I do have a bunch of movies I watch from my computer, so I def. want HDMI output to my tv in the living room. It seems like those cards are pretty expensive though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It feels like buying a used car. "For X $ I can get this. But for THIS much more I get this..."

I've settled on an i7-920 at 2.66 ghz, with a cooling system that allows 20% overclocking. 6 gigs of ram, 1tb of storage, and an ati radeon 5770 card.

Unfortunately that puts me at like 1200 bucks not shipped...

Is this overkill for what I need? I do plan to do video editing, compositing, and load Adobe CS and perhaps a few other apps, but no games.

Help me nerds, you're my only hope!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
If you really plan on keeping it for 10 years, then you need to go top of the line in areas of RAM, hard drive space, and processors.

Yes, it'll definately be overkill for you right now, but in 10 years it'll be so far behind that you'll be bashing your head against the wall in disgust.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
So do you recommend just getting something in the 500 dollar range?
and upgrading every few years?

My current pc is a p3 2.00 ghz with 2 gigs of ram and like 100 gigs of storage. It needs to be launched into space.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
My friend suggested you to get PC with Win 7 Home premium, basically anything new pc would do, you just need to buy editing programs and such separately.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So do you recommend just getting something in the 500 dollar range?

My first two computers were in the $3500 range. Both were obsolete within a year. Both were dog slow after 2 years. Neither lasted more than 5.

Now I just buy the best computer I can for $500 and upgrade every few years.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My first two computers were in the $3500 range. Both were obsolete within a year. Both were dog slow after 2 years. Neither lasted more than 5.

Now I just buy the best computer I can for $500 and upgrade every few years.

My computer really has been around for about 9 years so I really do keep it a while.

I'm definitely going with windows 7 also. I hate spending money so much, I'd rather spend a few hundred more, and be done with it and know I've got something thats going to last.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Avoid the ones that are empty cardboard boxes painted to look like computers. They almost never work properly.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I bought it. I pulled the trigger.... 1300 fucking dollars. I haven't spent that much money on myself since........

Well I guess since I bought my tv 2 years ago. Jeebuz. I'm having a panic attack!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I have one I bought last year for $500. Love it. Yes, it'll be obsolete in a few years, but the first few computers we bought (and this was starting back in the eighties) were $2500 each, and lasted only four or five years. So even at $1300, you're ahead of the game.

Have fun with it. What's spent is spent. :)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I bought it. I pulled the trigger.... 1300 fucking dollars. I haven't spent that much money on myself since........

Well I guess since I bought my tv 2 years ago. Jeebuz. I'm having a panic attack!

I think that's great! I need to do the same thing this year. Buy something new, top of the line, and just completely F the cost of it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

I bought it.
You should take it back. Some of the keys look stuck...

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score

I was in same boat. My Dell dimension desktop is 8 years old. Starting to show its age and was time to get a new desktop PC. I felt the same why. I did everything online. First for that. I said about a thousands fucks as I hit SEND.

By the by-don't feel bad, mine cost 1,425 all totaled. I can see where a percentage of my tax return is going!