Professional Liability and Car Insurance??

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

A company that wants to work with me wants me to sign a contract that states that:

I have professional liability insurance and/or general liability insurance as well as automobile insurance (not less than $1 million dollars) etc.

Any comments??

Thanks!

Last edited:

michellek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.associatedcontent.com
Hi Scribette

Hi there,

A company that wants to work with me wants me to sign a contract that states that:

I have professional liability insurance and/or general liability insurance as well as automobile insurance (not less than $1 million dollars) etc.

Any comments??

Thanks!

Hi Scribette,
It sounds pretty strange to me! It almost sounds like that they want you to use a company vehicle,but use your insurance on it. This smells fishy! I wouldn't work with a company that requires something like that when you aren't even an employee.

I'm interested to what others have to say about this situation.

Michelle
www.visitmichelleonline.com

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I would not be driving their vehicle as I would be in Canada and they are in the US.

What about the liability insurance?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
It's their attempt to put a million dollar buffer between anyone who might sue you and their bank account. They'll likely require you to list them as an 'additional insured'. Same with the auto insurance requirement. If you were to have an auto accident in which you were at fault, the other side's lawyer would more than likely go combing through your business trying to find some affiliate with deep pockets to sue along with you.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I'm going to approach this from a different side--it's entirely possible they gave you an employee's contract, simply changing the wording to independent contractor. They may not have even READ the contract before sending it over. No one in their company may have read it since the lawyers drew it up 20 years ago. It could be the same contract they gave their truck drivers or delivery boys (which would explain the auto insurance thing.)

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, look it through for anything else "odd," and ask them if they might have a contract more suited for the (writing) work you'll be doing for them. If not, draw up your own and ask if they'll sign it, or cross out what you don't like in theirs and ask if they'll sign accept it.

I would bet your editor will be like, "That's in there? Really?"

As an aside, liability insurance -- or registering as an LLC and then doing your work under that LLC -- IS a good idea for writers. Check out the Rich Dad, Poor Dad books for more details on why... I'm not a lawyer or business expert, just a budding finance writer. :)

Dawn

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there - Thanks for the replies.

The company does know about this clause - and specifically phoned me about it today. And yes they want to cover their "butt". They do give this contract to all of their contractors - but the auto insurance does not seem to apply to my situation. They just said that they need this info in the off chance that they give me an assignment in which I would have to travel - which is 99.99% highly unlikely - even if they did give me this type of assignment, I could refuse it. I do not even own a car.

I read somewhere though that it does not make sense for writers to incorporate - although I understand that if you are incorporated, a person could not come after your personal assets in the (highly unlikely) case that you are sued - . Is that correct?

BUT I think I need more info about liability insurance - I heard that it is expensive. Does anyone have this type of insurance? (or has a company ever asked you this question) Thanks!

Last edited:

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Also - what should I tell this company? They want me to reply asap. (help!) :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In all the years I worked as a real estate agent I had to prove I had such insurance. Like it has been said....it is for the buffer zone between the company and the client.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Can't answer on anything else, but regarding the issue of not being sued if you are incorporated, there are two things to know:

1. Anyone can sue anyone for any reason whatsoever. I can sue you right now because I think your handle infringes on a crazy trademark or because I think you caused me emotional distress by making me think I might need a million dollar liability insurance policy. The fact that no judge in his right mind would actually award me a judgement doesn't stop me from doing so. So, even though a corporation generally protects the personal assets of the writers and employees, you *can* be sued. It just means it's highly unlikely that they'd win.

2. Even though it is highly unlikely that they'd win, there are rare occasions when a court can say that there was malfeasance on the part of the corporation's employees and hold them personally liable.

I'm not an attorney and this should not be construed as legal advice, but I happened to do some reading up on it years ago when I was incorporating my own software company.

The other (non legal advice) thing to think about is that unless you have something worth going after, no one is likely to sue you anyway.

Eric

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Huh??

Are you a freelance writer? What kind of job is this? Will you be required to drive in order to get the info you need for writing this assignment?

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
No driving is involved - they are in the US and I am in Canada. They have specifically phoned me about these points.

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
OK - I can understand having that type of insurance as a real estate agent where one is "out and about", but with freelance writing, I do not leave my home office and no clients come here. I will not be in a car at all. I also do not own a car as I do not need to commute - and I do not own the space I work from either.

Thanks Eric for the info too.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Is this for freelance work, or is it a book publisher? Though in all honesty, having done both, I would refuse to sign such a contract.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Tell them, "Sure. Sign me up with your insurance companies."

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
It is with a manufacturing company - I would be writing articles for their company newsletter for their internal employees.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
It is with a manufacturing company - I would be writing articles for their company newsletter for their internal employees.

Okay, I can kinda sorta see why they might be interested in personal/general liability insurance, so that if one of their employees sued them over something you wrote, they could turn around and sue you. Which is precisely why I wouldn't sign a contract like that.

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Realistically - would an employee sue them over an article or profile highlighting one of their employees? Seems like an odd occurance - in Canada at least.

Also - they are also asking for personal injury and property damage liability.

Additionally, they are also asking for auto insurance - which does not make sense.

Last edited:

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I'm thinking this is something they may ask for from all of their sub-contractors, no matter if they write, or are involved in work that tends to be a bit more physical.

If I were you, I might try to get a hold of their H/R person and see if an exception could be made.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Realistically - would an employee sue them over an article or profile highlighting one of their employees? Seems like an odd occurance - in Canada at least.

Also - they are also asking for personal injury and property damage liability.

Additionally, they are also asking for auto insurance - which does not make sense.

I'll bet they're wanting you to take photographs, which would require you to travel to where the employee is. They also might consider that you'll want to do personal interviews, which also involves travel, as well as the possibility of hitting another driver or a mailbox or something. I've had this requirement made of me when I was doing freelance secretarial work--even though I did it out of my house and never went to the office in question.

But yeah, people do tend to sue down here in the States, and for really stupid reasons. I'm often amazed by the sheer audacity of people who are offended by people trying to do something nice.

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
No I do not need to travel to take photos or do personal interviews. I am in Canada and they are in the US. :)

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
Cindy - good point! However, all of their business associates are in the US and I am in Canada - I highly doubt that they will pay for my road trip by car or flight to the US to take photos or conduct a personal interview. If they are a bit "crazy" and want me to, I will refuse the job. :)

Last edited:

Scribette

Registered
Reaction score
The Addster: I did contact the company and told them that I think that the car, personal injury and property damage insurance is not applicable in my situation.

They did say that they request this type of insurance from all of their consultants - but it does not make sense to request the same insurance of a freelance writer as a contruction consultant for instance.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
In terms of what to do about it, anytime something in a contract makes me uncomfortable, I will strike it out, initial it, and then ask them to initial it. it has never been a problem, usually it's the way-out-there cases such as this where you don't know why it's there to begin with.
Contracts are a two-way street, you can make changes/deletions as you need.
Good luck!