Landlord wants to spray a bunch of bug poison in my apartment but I am skeptical

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I live in LA and our apartment is clean and also full of roach traps, but our neighbors are filthy creatures and roaches come from the other apartments to hang out with us. These are the little cute roaches, not the giant nauseating ones. But they are gross.

The landlord wants to have roach chemicals (three of them, i forget the names) sprayed in all the apartments. I'm nervous. We have to put away all the food and all the stuff in the bathrooms etc, and after they spray we are not supposed to clean the surfaces because it will get rid of the poison. Is this like, safe? To have poison on the counters and such when we cook?

I'm inclined to say no (preferring a couple of little buggies to a home full of weird poisons), but on the other hand, it was suggested that if every other unit is sprayed, the roaches may ALL come take up residence in my apartment. We have no kids or pets or anything, although we are both pretty sensitive to weird chemicals and everything in our place is "natural" or "fragrance-free" (everything gives my partner eczema, and everything gives me hives and headaches and whatnot). Can anybody offer any clever advice?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Move to Scotland. We don't have cockroaches here. :D

Seriously, if you're both sensitive to chemicals it might be uncomfortable, if not dangerous. I'd also ask for the names of the chemicals again and maybe Google them to see if there have been any reported cases of them making people ill.

Alternatively, is there anywhere you could stay for a couple of days? If your landlord's hell-bent but it's going to cause you and your partner health difficulties it might be worth asking him to either knock some money off the rent or help with the cost of a hotel for a couple of days (I don't know how nice he is! :)). If you say no and all the roaches DO move in with you, it could cause further disruption down the line and if all the other flats get infested again you might end up stuck with the bill for another round of spraying. It's definitely a tough one, but you and your partner's health comes first. :Hug2:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, I can't take those sprays and I'm not usually sensitive. There are awesome roach baits that work like a charm [I'm roach phobic, so I can't have them within 100 yards or so!].

I don't know what you do if the others are being sprayed. Use tons of the baits yourself and wait it out? It's quick. They carry it back to the nest. Nothing is sprayed around at all, although I'm sure the actual bait boxes are terribly ungreen!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alternatively, is there anywhere you could stay for a couple of days? If your landlord's hell-bent but it's going to cause you and your partner health difficulties it might be worth asking him to either knock some money off the rent or help with the cost of a hotel for a couple of days (I don't know how nice he is! :)).

The landlord isn't going to force us to get sprayed, I believe (they aren't totally evil). Even if we spent a few days away, I still feel weird about having the poison all over the place.

Ooooh, I can't take those sprays and I'm not usually sensitive. There are awesome roach baits that work like a charm [I'm roach phobic, so I can't have them within 100 yards or so!].

I don't know what you do if the others are being sprayed. Use tons of the baits yourself and wait it out? It's quick. They carry it back to the nest. Nothing is sprayed around at all, although I'm sure the actual bait boxes are terribly ungreen!

I dunno, I presume these poisons are "safe" for peoples' homes. But the tiny Rachel Carson in the back of my head is all like NO, KITTY, IT'S POIZIN!

We use the roach baits EXTENSIVELY, but the issue is still that when our roaches die, a new batch arrives from our filthy neighbors and then we have more roaches.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I say, spray. For reals. You WILL harbor the denizens of the other apts if you don't....

However... I would remove all the food if you can - except the stuff in your fridge. That's just me!

Unless they are fumigating, in which you should get a very extensive list of how to prepare.

Also - they might be using the natural poisons! The tree-stuff... it kills them naturally. :) So they die of natural causes not poisons.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd talk to your landlord and get the information, then go to your doctor and discuss your health problems with him/her.

Trust me - if you don't get the fumigation done, the problem will return. It's not that YOU are the problem, but that the roaches will find some place to hide from the nasty stuff and it may be in your place.

Definitely get some professional advice about what you can do and what you can't do, IMO.

and take care!