Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No, or hardly ever

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I really like crosswords, just wish I had the time to do it more often. It's my favorite on-a-plane pasttime.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Crossword puzzles annoy the heck out of me. I try to avoid them, although I occasionally get suckered into working on one if someone else is, especially if they leave a half-finished one lying around.

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
I really like crosswords. Usually I do crosswords when I'm traveling or on vacation, but not so much at home. When a 'tip' suddenly changes meaning in my mind and I get the word, it's a great feeling. Helps you think about things differently. But that doesn't happen all the time. I have a big of crosswords at home, but they're the really easy ones...those get really boring after you solve four or five of them.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I like to do the easier ones in those books you get in the variety stores. I'm never able to do the ones in the newspapers for some reason.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I love doing crosswords too. They've definitely increased my vocabulary and knowlege of things which is great and people have noticed!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, on the computer ever since I discovered the Hoyle Puzzle Games crossword puzzle has the option to highlight incorrect letters in red and lock correct letters. Purists might consider it cheating, but I like the instant feedback of knowing whether I have the correct word.

I love word games of all sorts. The Hoyle games package has a couple of other games similar to Scrabble, and another which is like Yahtzee where you have to type in words rather than roll dice. Fun stuff, but I swear the computer cheats sometimes.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a certifiable crossword puzzle nut. I do one online and one on a daily calendar every day.

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I enjoy c
r
o
s
swords
on occasion.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Occasionally, despite the fact that I'm rubbish at 'em. ;)

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
Love 'em, especially the cryptic ones that make no sense.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I've made a few by hand, just to see what it's like. I didn't use any software to create the puzzle other than Excel to manage the grid. I have three 22x22 grids, "Cars Named After Animals", "Stately Phrases", "Mind Your Ps and Qs" and one 33x33 grid with the 50 state capitals. I think they're on par with a typical Sunday puzzle. If you'd like to try these, drop me a message.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've gone so far as to create crossword puzzles. I like the New York Times Sunday edition, but now that I'm in CT. I don't get to it as much as I used to.

I've started hundreds, but only finished one. I don't cheat, so I'm very proud of it.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Love 'em. I'm one who does them in pen as well.

The NYT is my favorite - I can usually do the ones during the week - but as far as the Sunday Times goes, I've only ever completed one. Ever. I consider it my greatest crossword puzzle achievement to date. :D

And I don't cheat on them. I'd rather walk away than peek.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the New York Times puzzle, until my local paper sabotaged me. They no longer run the Sunday puzzle at all, and damned if I'm going to buy the whole paper just to get it.

I used to do the puzzles at the dining room table while our kids did their homework there. In time, they no longer needed me to keep them on task, and we often did them together, each kid bringing something different to the table, literally.

You all know the NYT puzzles get harder through the week, right? Monday's is pretty easy, Tuesday's a little harder, and so on. I consider the Sunday one the equivalent of Wednesday's, only much bigger.

I allow myself to look things up on Saturday's, but only in print, not online, so it's still a challenge--one I rarely meet.

My very favorite are the ones with a gimmick of some kind--some letters are circled and form a big hint to many of the clues (such as ALL CHEVROLET CARS), or the digit "1" is to be written into a single box and counts as the letters ONE [so you fill in things like the novel AT1NEMENT], like that.) I'll nearly always try to find time to do the puzzle if I see circles or a weird pattern suggesting something special.

Maryn, word freak

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I love them and try to do them every day. My favorite are the ones in the St. Pete Times. Really good.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've just rediscovered crosswords. Good times.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
They're my favourite way to waste time.