PDA

View Full Version : Nevermore?

LOG
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah I ripped it off Yahoo. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_poe_mystery_visitor)

So basically, some person who left roses and a bottle of cognac on Edgar Allan Poe's grave every year didn't show up this year. I figure it's because they're dead, they been at it for sixty years.

The only question that remains is...what did the gravekeepers do with the cognac? >.>

semilargeintestine
01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Someone needs to take up the mantel!

Is that the right phrase? I dunno.

Cella
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
The only question that remains is...what did the gravekeepers do with the cognac? >.>
:crazy: obviously they poured it over the ground so that he could absorb it. :D

Fran
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I played a hidden object game (obviously an excellent historical reference) that said Poe was murdered. Gasp! I know! I can't remember who was supposed to have done it, though. All I remember is they were brothers.

My next historical treatise is going to be based on a Tomb Raider cutscene. :D

lucidzfl
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
:crazy: obviously they poured it over the ground so that he could absorb it. :D

Here's one for my homeys.

Snowstorm
01-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I saw this on the Internot, LOG. I agree with you that whoever did it is dead. Such a intriguing thing, and now it's gone. Alas.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
One of my favorite authors... Ol' Boy and I will lift a glass to him tonight.

shakeysix
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
probably got detained in a cellar looking for a cask of... no. this is too lame even for me--s6

CACTUSWENDY
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
So, you going to tell me that in the last ten or so years that no one EVER had a camera set up to see who this person was? I just don't believe it...not in this day and age. (Think nanny cam here.)

Bet they finally died off.

Snowstorm
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I think, Cactuswendy, that finding out who was doing this would be a travesty. I'm glad it's a secret, now likely for all time.

shakeysix
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
maybe not. i am pretty sure it was fortunado behind the visits. i think a tape recorder left running on the gravestone once picked up a faint jingling sound--almost like ghostly bells on a jester's cap.

ad_lucem
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm with shakeysix ;)

Of course, in my weird way I think the whole story is so appropriate for Poe, just as the disappearance of Ambrose Bierce suited him.

Although, my sarcastic side can't help saying that dropping off liquor at the tombstone seems a strange tribute for a man who quite possibly died as a result of his alcohol addiction.

Makes one wonder if a similarly inspired person in walking distance of Jim Morrison's grave might consider dropping off a little heroin or a needle on one of his anniversaries (birth, death, etc).

semilargeintestine
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm with shakeysix ;)

Of course, in my weird way I think the whole story is so appropriate for Poe, just as the disappearance of Ambrose Bierce suited him.

Although, my sarcastic side can't help saying that dropping off liquor at the tombstone seems a strange tribute for a man who quite possibly died as a result of his alcohol addiction.

Makes one wonder if a similarly inspired person in walking distance of Jim Morrison's grave might consider dropping off a little heroin or a needle on one of his anniversaries (birth, death, etc).

Doing it.

Fran
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
It's why I don't think the Parisian authorities would be even the teeniest tiniest wee bit unhappy if Jim Morrison was exhumed and returned to the States, as I believe one of his ex-girlfriends is trying to get permission to do.

backslashbaby
01-20-2010, 02:15 AM
I love Poe :)

I am also named Lenore and ravens love me. I think they love everybody, but Hey are you named Lenore? I think not :D

LOG
01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
ravens love me. I think they love everybody
I've never met a raven, don't know what they think of me.