How could I find a doctor?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
From a long time ago? There must be a way to find your old records and find out their current status, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Records are only kept for seven years I think. (Might be ten years.) At least by law. Not sure a Dr. office would have them longer then that.

Each state might keep records of Dr.s that have held lics. in that state.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
How long ago?

If they are living, you can check with the AMA to see if their license is current. That would at least let you know what state they are in.

Now, if you mean a long long time ago, there are other ways. I needed to track down a doc who quit practicing in the 70's and died in the 80's. I looked back through newspaper archives, got the name of his last office manager, and got a hold of her. She was able to put me in touch with the doc's son.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Vaccination records would include the signature of the doctor, no matter how long ago. Some include typed names. This is the best route to go if you remember getting your shots at the doc's office. Some people just went to a health department, so this might not work all the time.

Birth certificates - back in the 70's and 80's most pediatricians were also the delivering doctor. (Family Practices and all)

School records, if you can locate them.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The American Board of Medical Specialties (here) has links to the various individual specialty board sites. Most of them have search functions to find individual doctors, along with current addresses. Of course you would have to know that the doctor was board-certified in something (pediatrics, family practice, etc). I know at least the American Board of Pediatrics database is very up-to-date.

Regarding the AMA, many doctors don't belong -- I don't, and never have (politics).

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
I had to get me medical records from the doctor a few years ago for a tribunal and simply every minor medical issue was in there, almost 40 years of records.

That is the UK National Health Service though where we have a system of making sure records are passed from doctor to doctor.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
State medical boards have records of doctors that go back to the beginning, but finding your own medical records is trickier. A lot of doctors throw away records of patients they havenot seen in 10 years because medical conditions change so much over that amount of time.