My Biggest Critic

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest son reads my WIPs from time to time, or part of them anyway. Normally his critique is similar to my husbands; "It's good. Finish it."
Good to know, but not terribly helpful.

That isn't to say he doesn't point out flaws when he sees them. In some cases he takes delight in it. Which brings me to the fateful example of the story I was working on that involved a tungsten golem.

Fresh from writing a scene I was very happy with, I had the sudden need to share it. The only fresh victim available was my son.
He agreed, and sat down at my computer to read.
Several very long minutes, and a few misinterpreted snickers later, he turned to me.

"So, the indestructible golem comes after the heroes, and falls through a burning draw bridge?"

"Yeah."

"That is so lame."

"It's not lame."

"Yes it is. Why didn't you just have the hero throw a coin off the bridge? The golem is so stupid it would go, "Oh, look, shiny!", and jump after it." He went through a great show of panamiming my lumbering golem skippig like an idiot onto the bridge, and flinging himself off it with ignorant bliss.

Choking on my pride, and laughter, because it was funny as hell, I tried to remain indignant. "That's lame."

"Not as lame as falling through the bridge. Why didn't you just make him out of cheese. A cheese golem. That would be cool."

"I'm not making my golem out of cheese."

Anyway, the argument continued like that for several minutes until he said he could write it better. So I dared him to.

A half-hour later he ran into my room, and plugged a flash drive into my computer.
"OK, I'll show you how that scene should've went."

He rewrote my scene as he had suggested. Cheese golem and all.

Once I stopped laughing, and dried the tears running down my face, I still persisted in defending my original scene, that he was now totally mocking. Cheese golem. Hmmph.
To clear up our dispute, I emailed both versions of the scene, his and mine, to my best friend back home. (Clearly thinking she would take my side.)

Her response came as a phone call. With sadistic glee she told me through her laughter that his was better, and mine was indeed- lame.

Two years later he still makes fun of that scene. The word "golem" is now forbidden in my house. :roll:

Thankfully I was able to redeem myself with another character from a separate story.
He heard my laughing the other day and came to investigate.
"What are you doing?"
"Reading an old story I'd forgotten about."
"Which one?"
"One of my old Zareck stories."
"Wait . . . you've got another Zareck story? Why haven't I seen it?"
"Because I never finished writing it."
"Well get to writing woman!"

Ok, there's hope for me yet.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D Made of cheese :D And he wrote it out, lol!

My dad teases me any time he can tease me, really, but he is a gem as a reader. I let him read my 1st drafts because he can see through things [just makes a little note and moves on]. Except one:

Dad: I want to ask about this word...
Me: I know the word you mean. I'm changing it.
Dad: You aren't in England you know...
Me: It was just a perfect word for what I meant, but we don't say it; I know!
Dad: Pip pip cheerio, eh?

Continue the pip-pipping longer than necessary and you get the gist :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think that was THE best golem story I have ever heard! Thanks for sharing it. Kids have a way of samurai swording past the ego-shit, don't they. Great story...I see an essay for a writing magazine here.

PS...this thread would do well in ROUNDTABLE.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I would have paid to see him act it out like that. Kids! :D

Dad: I want to ask about this word...
Me: I know the word you mean. I'm changing it.
Dad: You aren't in England you know...
Me: It was just a perfect word for what I meant, but we don't say it; I know!
Dad: Pip pip cheerio, eh?

Continue the pip-pipping longer than necessary and you get the gist :D

My agent does that to me all the time. I have a bad habit of tossing in Aussie-isms without thinking. (Although I've gotten better at weeding them out.)

I'll get emails like: "You know we don't say that here, right? RIGHT? What does that even...MEAN?" At which point I'll claim I was just testing her to see if she really reads what I write. :D

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Kids can be hard on the ego.

I think that was THE best golem story I have ever heard! Thanks for sharing it. Kids have a way of samurai swording past the ego-shit, don't they. Great story...I see an essay for a writing magazine here.

PS...this thread would do well in ROUNDTABLE.

Thanks.
I wasn't really sure where to post it. :eek:

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
An old story has been on my mind. Wrote it in 2007, but due to the split in opinion between my first readers, who at that time were my husband and oldest son, I set it aside.

My husband didn't like the style I wrote it in. He said the beginning was choppy. The rest of the story he didn't have much comment on. I got the distinct impression he didn't like the story. It was heavy, with a horror of war theme.

On the other hand, my oldest liked it. Though his reaction to my antagonist was pretty strong. I believe his exact words were, "What an asshole!"

It occurred to me then that he only associated elves and fae-like creatures as goody goodies. Where I had portrayed my "forest guardian" a little closer to what I thought of in mythology; an ancient demi-god who was less than sympathetic toward flesh and blood mortals.

The look on his face was priceless. Kind of like the time he learned boobs had an actual biological function.

Anyway, three years later, his reaction to my character has made me think it's worth reviving.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My boys usually tell me that I could improve my stories by adding more ninjas and bloodshed. Apparently the story doesn't even have to involve ninjas. They can just repel from the roof during any old scene and let the mayhem commence. That's right. You're writing a touching bit of historical fiction about the underground railroad? Boring. Add ninjas.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
A goat cheese golem has a +3 aura of stench. Characters that fail their saving throw are incapacitated for 1d4+2 rounds.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Everything is better with ninjas, Kay. :D

A goat cheese golem has a +3 aura of stench. Characters that fail their saving throw are incapacitated for 1d4+2 rounds.

Nien spreaken ze D&D geekish. :Shrug: