Manuscript Format Questions

glion

Registered
Reaction score
I posted the following questions in the Basic Writing forum, but I hope this is not seen as a redundant double-post, as this seems to be the proper forum for such questions. In the following I am specifically asking about standard manuscript formatting for a novel--for submission to agents. On the BW forum, some responses told me to simply do as I please, which can't be right, given that all agents I've come across explicitly request submissions in standard manuscript form. I'm just not entirely clear on certains aspects of that form....

1) On page 11 of William Shunn's sample novel format webpage (seen here: http://www.shunn.net/format/novel.html), he presents a sample "Part" (as in Part I, Part II, etc.) manuscript page. Is this how it's properly done?

2) Second: Does the chapter count begin anew at each new part? In other words, should the first chapter of "Part II" be Chapter 1? Or should it carry over from Part I and therefore be enumerated as, say, Chapter 23?

3) Is "Part" the standard term today? For instance, what about "Section"? Is there a consensus or preference among agents?

4) Neither my novel's parts nor chapters have names...I assume to adjust my manuscript accordingly I would simply use Shunn's format but remove the names and attendant colon (after "Part I") and adjust the spacing?

Any advice (or links to other webpages with sample format pages) would be appreciated. Thank you.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I posted the following questions in the Basic Writing forum, but I hope this is not seen as a redundant double-post, as this seems to be the proper forum for such questions. In the following I am specifically asking about standard manuscript formatting for a novel--for submission to agents. On the BW forum, some responses told me to simply do as I please, which can't be right, given that all agents I've come across explicitly request submissions in standard manuscript form. I'm just not entirely clear on certains aspects of that form....

1) On page 11 of William Shunn's sample novel format webpage (seen here: http://www.shunn.net/format/novel.html), he presents a sample "Part" (as in Part I, Part II, etc.) manuscript page. Is this how it's properly done?

2) Second: Does the chapter count begin anew at each new part? In other words, should the first chapter of "Part II" be Chapter 1? Or should it carry over from Part I and therefore be enumerated as, say, Chapter 23?

3) Is "Part" the standard term today? For instance, what about "Section"? Is there a consensus or preference among agents?

4) Neither my novel's parts nor chapters have names...I assume to adjust my manuscript accordingly I would simply use Shunn's format but remove the names and attendant colon (after "Part I") and adjust the spacing?

Any advice (or links to other webpages with sample format pages) would be appreciated. Thank you.
Each "part" is specific to the manuscript being presented. For example, if you have a manuscript divided up into "morning", "noon", and "night", you'd divide it up "Part I: Morning, Chapter 1", etc., following the exampe he presents. Otherwise, ignore the business about "parts" and concentrate on dividing it into chapters, which don't really need any names beyond "chapter one", "chapter two", etc. "Do as you please" really is counterproductive, especially since you recognize there is a standard format; follow standard and you'll have an easier time formatting the manuscript and getting it read.

glion

Registered
Reaction score
Each "part" is specific to the manuscript being presented. For example, if you have a manuscript divided up into "morning", "noon", and "night", you'd divide it up "Part I: Morning, Chapter 1", etc., following the exampe he presents. Otherwise, ignore the business about "parts" and concentrate on dividing it into chapters, which don't really need any names beyond "chapter one", "chapter two", etc. "Do as you please" really is counterproductive, especially since you recognize there is a standard format; follow standard and you'll have an easier time formatting the manuscript and getting it read.

To be clear: My completed manuscript is partitioned into three sections/ parts by design and each part/section is accordingly divided into x number of chapters by design. So it is divided into both parts and chapters by choice, none of which are named. I'm trying to work out the fine details at this point--whether a chapter is notated as "chapter one," as you say, or if, for example, it ought to be "Chapter 1" as Shunn's manuscript indicates.

It is unclear to me whether

-I should call these partitions a "Part" or a "Section" at the header of each opening.

-I should begin each part/section's chapter count anew...I have seen both: A copy of Koestler's _Darkness at Noon_ before me begins the count anew at every new part/section (so there is more than one "Chapter 1") and a JM Coetzee novel before me has parts/sections but the chapter count runs continuously through each part/section.

-I should trust William Shunn's presented format.

Deleted member 42

1. This is a minor issue. You will not be rejected solely for tiny formatting errors.

2. Numbers, whether written numerically or spelled out, in chapter titles are usually consecutive, that is, there is only one chapter 1 or chapter one.

3. Part or section, your choice.

4. Mostly, just be consistent.

5. In general these decisions will be made by the book designer, once a book is contracted and scheduled.