Could a mini-crossbow work as a deadly weapon?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to design one of my major antagonists, and I thought of giving him a small projectile weapon that he can whip out quickly and surprise people with.

On an 11th century tech-level, can a crossbow be created that would be effective at short range, but also small enough to either strap to the forearm, or hide with relative ease under a cloak or whatever?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it could be, and one hand crossbows have been made. They were never a common item, but they were effective short range weapons. The power would be more a matter of the spring (bow) than anything else.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
You're counting on puncturing someone with a small, sharp object. Think perhaps four to six inches long. THAT'S your question. Sure, people have been stabbed with knives and killed by them - so its PLAUSIBLE to shoot someone with a 4-6inch long quarrel (Fins will prevent some penetration) - but KILLING them as in 'drop dead' killing them? A VERY lucky heart shot might do it - but not likely. Most likely piss them off - and have them come at you.

As a threatening device? Sure - make your enemy a coward.

BudMan

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a link to a mini (very mini) cross bow that folds up and is easily concealed and fires a six inch quarrel (or bolt the "arrow")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBn7NJg6grw

Here's a link to an 80 lb mini crossbow that is more than adequate for short range hunting. It demostrates the power of the weapon. Good video, poor audio, but notice the penetration power of the arrows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGALLy_V-s

Hope it helps

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
If you shoot the bow and miss, you can always throw the weapon at your target.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
If you shoot the bow and miss, you can always throw the weapon at your target.

Or tie a bowie knife to it and use it as a bayonet. :D

Maybe the bolts could be coated in a powerful venom substance?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As a offensive weapon, you would have one shot, so element of surprise might work for an assassin.

As a defensive weapon, again, one shot, but it might make your opponant pause, thus giving you time to make good an escape or go for a more defensive weapon.

I don't see this as a main weapon...