Are Contemporary Teen Films Dead?

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've been really into 80s movies recently, so I've been watching a lot of (mostly John Hughes) classic films, like Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc. And I find myself thinking, Geez, this is really good! This movie came out over twenty years ago and it's still accessible and fresh. And then I thought, why aren't there any contemporary teen films these days?

The only film I can even think of that was commercially successful that focused on a realistic high school plot (no, not High School Musical) is Mean Girls. Everything else I can think of is Disneyfied (Princess Diaries) or Paranormal/Fantasy (Twilight).

So why aren't there any bitingly honest, well written teen films around these days? Is there still an audience for them? Or are we doomed to having shallow teen films like Twilight and The Hannah Montana movie for the rest of humanity?

ETA: Okay, I've looked at a few lists, and there are some other examples. But they are all extremely awful movies (John Tucker Must Die, anyone?).

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Film seems to be following the book trend, in that paranormal is really hot right now in both mediums.

But last year there was Fired Up!, the Bring It On meets Wedding Crashers comedy, although I can't say it was bitingly honest, and before that, Superbad. Right now we have Youth In Revolt, and not too long ago was I Love You, Beth Cooper, but admittedly I've seen neither.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist is probably the most recent movie (I've seen) to match what you're describing, but then there are the ones that cast a wider net, like Juno or Adventureland, and so aren't necessarily "teen."

I think because teens are coming out in droves for fare like Spiderman, Dark Knight, Transformers, Avatar, etc., studios aren't pushing money on teen-specific movies despite the fact they make up a huge chunk of ticket sales.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
And then I thought, why aren't there any contemporary teen films these days?

I wonder if it's because film culture has become more...teenified....in general, along with some blurring of generational boudaries outside of movies, and there isn't really a need for that niche.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Juno, Saved, New Waterford Girl. Maybe Adventureland if you don't mind going into the 20 range.

They are out there -- they're just few and far between.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Most films are aimed at teens, twentysomethings and early-thirtysomethings -- the markets have become one except for occasional exceptions like Twilight.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much anything with Michael Cera. :D But yeah, there's also that new one, Youth in Revolt that came out that was awesome. And it was based off a book.