PDA

View Full Version : Any west coast cops out there?

sheadakota
01-17-2010, 03:08 AM
In Pennsylvania State cops are commonly referred to as "Staties"

My question is, is this a universal nick-name? Particularly I am looking for information regarding Nevada. Apparently my google-fu is in disaray.

Pthom
01-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Three kinds of police departments in the State of Nevada.
1) Those police departments in each city. Some smaller towns have none, rely on
2) County Sheriffs. Each county has its own sheriff department. Then there is the
3) State Department of Public Safety, which includes the Nevada State Police and the Nevada State Highway Patrol.

I don't know if they have a nickname peculiar to Nevadans. My guess is the Highway Patrol guys might be referred to as NHP (similar to how in California the highway patrol is CHP [or CHiPs as in the old TV series of the same name--have no idea if the Nevada Highway Patrol are called NiHPs, but they should be ;) ]). I found this information in Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nevada+state+police&aq=0&oq=Nevada+state+po&aqi=g8). And I did that for a story I was writing (and have completed since--just) that involved both the Nevada Highway Patrol and the Las Vegas Police Department (in the mid 1950s, no less).

I live in Oregon (neighboring state) and our system is almost identical. We call the Oregon State Police just that: State Police. Whatever county you're in, in Oregon, you call the County Sheriff the County Sheriff or just "the Sheriff". Most of the officers in any County's Sheriff department are "deputies" but I wouldn't ordinarily call one that in a casual conversation, and maybe not even to his face. He's with the Sheriff's department, he's the "Sheriff."

sheadakota
01-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Thank you! this helps a lot- the character in question is a nevada homocide detctive referring to the state police in a less than favorable manor ;)

I know in Pa, staties is common slang- but wasn't sure about other states- I think I'll just stick with the more formal version so I don't get called on it- thanks again for the info!

Canotila
01-17-2010, 04:45 AM
My brothers are cops here in Washington State. Here people call the state police "state troopers". I've never heard of "staties". When we lived in Arizona people also called them state troopers.

sheadakota
01-17-2010, 05:02 AM
it must be regional- my editor called me on it and I admitt, I never thought about it- thanks!

Pthom
01-17-2010, 05:44 AM
It occurs to me that pretty much everyone everywhere and no matter their language, calls police a word that translates to "cop."

As in: "Cheese it, the cops!"

sheadakota
01-17-2010, 06:15 AM
LOL- very true-