PDA

View Full Version : More Spanish

Kathie Freeman
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
One of the characters in my WIP is an ersatz military man with a younger travelling companion who calls him "Sarge". Is there a spanish equivalent for this shortened title?

~*Kate*~
01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Jefe?

maxmordon
01-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep, I do agree "Jefe" quite fits, it's usually translated as "Boss" but also works as "Chief".

fadeaccompli
01-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I've seen people called "Jefe" when they're anything from an employer being addressed by employees to a pilot addressed by mechanics--usually in a very friendly manner--so it seems about right. The only caution I'd make is that it doesn't usually seem to be used without an article when referring to someone in the third person. That is, you'd say "Hey, Sarge!" to the guy and maybe "Sarge wants us to do something" to another person, but it'd be "Hola, Jefe" and "El jefe quiero que hagamos algo" in Spanish.

(Of course, since you're writing in English, and just having someone who speaks English call him a Spanish translation of the title, you could probably use it like a name/nickname, sans article. It wouldn't be all that weird.)

Kathie Freeman
01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Jefe. Of course, why didn't I think of that. Actually, fadeaccompli, I'm translating my English language book into Spanish. My reading/writing Spanish is fairly good, but every once in a while I run into an idiom that I don't want to translate literally and isn't covered in either of my E/S dictionaries. Thanks for all your help.