Annoying Eh*rm*ny Ad

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Anyone else keep accidentally scrolling over that Eharmony ad and start it playing? Totally not expecting any sound to randomly start playing.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
No I haven't seen any eHarmony ads on my computer. On this site there's an ad for Creative Writing 101 but no eHarmony. But I really dislike their commercials.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that advert but eHarmony's only just started up here and their adverts are really irritating. And it's expensive - £12 a month. :eek: (Roughly $US18.) I'm not on the market just now but that'd really put me off.

Deleted member 42

You know by mentioning e*h*rm*ny you're making it display, right?

I'm going to go edit the thread title. I'll let MacCannister know it's there--Google has just changed their ad policy to allow sound in ads.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Hell, it didn't seem to matter, Medi. It was on like 9 out of 10 pages that loaded. I just kept accidentally scrolling over top of it.

I have nothing against online dating services, but I don't need one, lol.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good I found this thread again ... yes, I saw this last night and just now, and this time I got screen shots (in a smaller browser window - I actually run Firefox fullscreen at 1600x1200).
start of video ad (it's full-motion video, though it appears to not be showing the whole screen - if you run the mouse cursor over the ad, the audio comes on - easy enough to do accidentally):
ad_audio1.jpg

end of ad:
ad_audio2.jpg

"Normal" ad banner:
ad_normal.jpg

I have noscript installed in Firefox. I run it more for an attempt at safety than to block ads. I have everything enabled for AW except doubleclick, and I'm not sure why that comes up, I see all the ads, but Doubleclick is the ORIGINAL cookie-tracking cross-site-analysis evil banner business, so IMO they need blockin'.

Deleted member 42

A lot of companies keep changing URLs so you have to keep blocking the ad at the server if you run Google Ads. I've passed the new URL up the line.

I'd also like to point out that sites that run Google ads do so because clicking the ads may generate revenue (even a couple cents) to defray the cost of running a big friggin' server and licensed forum software. Just sayin'

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this has been happening to. I don't mind the other ads at the top of the page but if you don't pay attention and accidentally mouse over it, and your house is dead silent in the middle of the night and you're paying so close to what your doing, it scares the crap out of you, you know? Especially when the sound is cranked up really loud because while you were cleaning earlier, you left the room to clean but wanted to hear music, well...you get the idea.

*sigh*

don't mind me, it's just a bad day.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of companies keep changing URLs so you have to keep blocking the ad at the server if you run Google Ads. I've passed the new URL up the line.

I'd also like to point out that sites that run Google ads do so because clicking the ads may generate revenue (even a couple cents) to defray the cost of running a big friggin' server and licensed forum software. Just sayin'
What, you mean the advertisers can't feel my eyeballs scraping back and forth over their content?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Just clicking, not buying anything generates money for site?

Yeah, google adsense is based on a pay-per-click setup. Anytime someone clicks on a google ad, it generates money (which varies from a few cents to a quarter or more depending on the ad that gets clicked on).

Of course, the website hosting the ads aren't supposed to mention that or tell you to click on them in any way or google will ban the account.