Most powerful movie endings

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I just bought that book actually..

I really liked V is for Vendetta's ending.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This ending kills me. It's heartbreaking.

It's still one of my favorite films of all time.

Gallipoli

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
"Godfather" Michaels lie. "Gone with the Wind" "Frankly my dear".
"It's a Wonderful Life" zuzu's pedals. "Jaws". "Angels with dirty faces" Cagney, turns yellow in the chair.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Brand new: Clooneys latest, "Up in the air" Thought provoking..

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Hard Candy had an amazing ending.

Garden State was also VERY powerful.

Blow is also up there..

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
No spoiler here, just to say you will be intrigued, good thread idea DW.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
No spoiler here, just to say you will be intrigued, good thread idea DW.

Thanks! I've always been fascinated by endings, both in books and movies. For instance, John Updike was a master of endings.

I'll never read the ending of a book that I plan on reading, but if I'm in a bookstore and am looking at books that I probably won't read, then I'll read the ending just for the pleasure of that.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched World's Greatest Dad the other night. I loved the ending and found it, and the entire movie for that matter, impressive. Here's a phrase I never thought I'd write. I have developed a new appreciation for Bobcat Goldthwait. He wrote and directed it. Very dark, disturbing comedy that you can't help but see some reality in, even if you don't want to.

Best line:
Lance Clayton: I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Night of the Living Dead springs immediately to mind. I also (in a completely sappy way) love the ending fro Some Kind of Wonderful.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I'll never read the ending of a book that I plan on reading, but if I'm in a bookstore and am looking at books that I probably won't read, then I'll read the ending just for the pleasure of that.

I'll bet Borders loves you hanging in the aisles, lol..

As much as I love good strong endings, I detest total bullshit endings that make you feel like you wasted your money and time, my theory is that if you can't end it, you didn't have it in the first place.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too.

To God, there is no zero. I still exist!

--The Incredible Shrinking Man

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, um, well...I sort of...completely lost it at the end of Return of the King.

Seriously, when they were all saying goodbye to Frodo...well, gah. I thought the end of Two Towers was very well done, as well.

</geeking>

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Zulu is amazing all throughout, I get all anxious every time I watch it and then cry at the end. I have loved that movie since I was a little kid.

The Last Samurai made me cry, and so did the end of The Notebook. Sheesh. I cry at everything.

Grave of the Fireflies was another one. Do not watch it without an uplifting backup!