PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful movie endings

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 08:32 AM
This isn't my all-time favorite movie, but it's my all-time favorite movie ending.

Not in terms of pleasure, but in terms of how it affects me emotionally.

What's yours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVN-xcDujB4&feature=related

AryaT92
01-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I just bought that book actually..

I really liked V is for Vendetta's ending.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a wonderful book. That and "Sometimes a Great Notion."

firedrake
01-16-2010, 08:41 AM
This ending kills me. It's heartbreaking.

It's still one of my favorite films of all time.

Gallipoli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ)

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 08:42 AM
V for Vendatta is really cool?

Death Wizard
This ending kills me. It's heartbreaking.

It's still one of my favorite films of all time.

Gallipoli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeijbtbnjQ)

Tears me up every time.

dgrintalis
Seven has a great ending. (Well, it's rather horrible, but great.)

As far as emotions, Braveheart kills me every time.

Don Allen
01-16-2010, 08:53 AM
"Godfather" Michaels lie. "Gone with the Wind" "Frankly my dear".
"It's a Wonderful Life" zuzu's pedals. "Jaws". "Angels with dirty faces" Cagney, turns yellow in the chair.

Kaiser-Kun
01-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Dragonheart's ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uq03hTWpE) was amazing. I always picture the final scene in my WiP with the same music.

Don Allen
01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Brand new: Clooneys latest, "Up in the air" Thought provoking..

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Dragonheart's ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uq03hTWpE) was amazing. I always picture the final scene in my WiP with the same music.

Good point. It's this kind of emotional power that affects us long after. And music always plays a big role.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Brand new: Clooneys latest, "Up in the air" Thought provoking..

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm gearing up for it.

AryaT92
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Hard Candy had an amazing ending.

Garden State was also VERY powerful.

Blow is also up there..

Don Allen
01-16-2010, 08:58 AM
No spoiler here, just to say you will be intrigued, good thread idea DW.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Hard Candy had an amazing ending.

Garden State was also VERY powerful.

Blow is also up there..

Agreed on Blow, for sure.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 09:04 AM
No spoiler here, just to say you will be intrigued, good thread idea DW.

Thanks! I've always been fascinated by endings, both in books and movies. For instance, John Updike was a master of endings.

I'll never read the ending of a book that I plan on reading, but if I'm in a bookstore and am looking at books that I probably won't read, then I'll read the ending just for the pleasure of that.

kayleamay
01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I watched World's Greatest Dad the other night. I loved the ending and found it, and the entire movie for that matter, impressive. Here's a phrase I never thought I'd write. I have developed a new appreciation for Bobcat Goldthwait. He wrote and directed it. Very dark, disturbing comedy that you can't help but see some reality in, even if you don't want to.

Best line:
Lance Clayton: I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.

Kathleen42
01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Night of the Living Dead springs immediately to mind. I also (in a completely sappy way) love the ending fro Some Kind of Wonderful.

tiny
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
The end of Hair when they're standing in Arlington.

Don Allen
01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I'll never read the ending of a book that I plan on reading, but if I'm in a bookstore and am looking at books that I probably won't read, then I'll read the ending just for the pleasure of that.

I'll bet Borders loves you hanging in the aisles, lol..

As much as I love good strong endings, I detest total bullshit endings that make you feel like you wasted your money and time, my theory is that if you can't end it, you didn't have it in the first place.

dgrintalis
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
The ending of Forrest Gump was a tear-jerker, too.

CatSlave
01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Once Upon a Time in America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_America

JoeEkaitis
01-16-2010, 09:59 AM
So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too.

To God, there is no zero. I still exist!

--The Incredible Shrinking Man

Wavy_Blue
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Uh, um, well...I sort of...completely lost it at the end of Return of the King.

Seriously, when they were all saying goodbye to Frodo...well, gah. I thought the end of Two Towers was very well done, as well.

</geeking>

Canotila
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Zulu is amazing all throughout, I get all anxious every time I watch it and then cry at the end. I have loved that movie since I was a little kid.

The Last Samurai made me cry, and so did the end of The Notebook. Sheesh. I cry at everything.

Grave of the Fireflies was another one. Do not watch it without an uplifting backup!

aquacat
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
I watched World's Greatest Dad the other night. I loved the ending and found it, and the entire movie for that matter, impressive. Here's a phrase I never thought I'd write. I have developed a new appreciation for Bobcat Goldthwait. He wrote and directed it. Very dark, disturbing comedy that you can't help but see some reality in, even if you don't want to.

Best line:
Lance Clayton: I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.

That is a great movie - one of my favorites of 2009. Bobcat is a really smart guy who ended up in some lousy stupid movies, but his early comedy was really quite intelligent. I hope he makes more films soon.

Films with endings I love:

Dark City and Fight Club both have that "people in love watching
the formation of a new world" thing going
Harold and Maude
In the Bedroom
The Princess and the Warrior

regdog
01-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Braveheart
Gladiator
Galipoli
Glory
Cry Freedom
Blackhawk Down

The Color Purple-Everyone ended up with Ceily and Mister finally does right by her

aadams73
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I prefer happy endings, but...

Casablanca.

Silent Rob
01-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes, I love Casablanca.

Any of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. They're the perfect combination of evocative score, landscape and an actor who's perfect for the part without ruining it by talking all the time. The endings seem to encapsulate all of that.

It's not an ending but I really liked the trailer for the Watchmen film. It was incredibly atmospheric, with the rain, the Smashing Pumpkins track and the growling narrative (it's on youtube but I'm too inept to post links). It really made me want to go and see the film which turned out to be disappointingly feeble.

Wayne K
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I posted this in the Derail thread yesterday. The greatest Prose on Film of all time. It's beautiful

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJkzmS_WTQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJkzmS_WTQI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Fran
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Life Is Beautiful and Dancer In The Dark.

AlterEgox5
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I am a complete freak when it comes to White Fang. I can't even watch that movie anymore.

I also have to say the endings to The Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King.

slcboston
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Lots of movies mentioned here I'd agree with, but to add:

Dances With Wolves - pretty much that whole final act from where he goes back for the journal. It's one of those movies where, even though I *know* it's coming because I've seen it so often... it still gets to me. Especially when they shoot the horse AND Two Socks.

Glory - the history's a little less than accurate, but it's another one of those endings where even though I can sit and quote the film...

and in terms of just blow me away endings the first time I saw it? Presumed Innocent. You just *don't* see it coming. or at least I didn't.

Cella
01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Life Is Beautiful
not only does this movie have a powerful ending, but beginning and middle as well.

I would also have to add Finding Neverland...

AryaT92
01-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Donnie Darko

aadams73
01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
The ending to Primal Fear blew me away. I sank into my seat and said, "Oh. My. God."

I never saw that one coming, and I almost always do.

AryaT92
01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
If they ever make an Ender's Game movie correctly, it will have the most epic ending in the world.

regdog
01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Lots of movies mentioned here I'd agree with, but to add:

Dances With Wolves - pretty much that whole final act from where he goes back for the journal. It's one of those movies where, even though I *know* it's coming because I've seen it so often... it still gets to me. Especially when they shoot the horse AND Two Socks.

Thanks, I meant to list Dances With Wolves.

I can't watch them shoot Two Socks.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Night of the Living Dead springs immediately to mind. I also (in a completely sappy way) love the ending fro Some Kind of Wonderful.

I first saw that movie when I was about 10 years old at a drive-in theater. I was with my best friend and his 16-year-old sister. Scared the living crap out of me for weeks.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 10:52 PM
The ending of Forrest Gump was a tear-jerker, too.

Another extremely good movie.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too.

To God, there is no zero. I still exist!

--The Incredible Shrinking Man

This is exactly what I'm talking about! I love great endings -- to books or movies. The ending to Rabbit Run still makes me shiver. The first time I read it it blew my mind. I believe it took Updike more than a week to write the last 50 words or so.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I'll bet Borders loves you hanging in the aisles, lol..

As much as I love good strong endings, I detest total bullshit endings that make you feel like you wasted your money and time, my theory is that if you can't end it, you didn't have it in the first place.

They do look at me rather suspiciously ... :)

Dawnstorm
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
How about atom bombs blowing up to sentimental farewell-song: Dr. Strangelove (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls).

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Uh, um, well...I sort of...completely lost it at the end of Return of the King.

Seriously, when they were all saying goodbye to Frodo...well, gah. I thought the end of Two Towers was very well done, as well.

</GEEKING>

Me too! The "You bow to no one" scene makes me cry every time. My avatar's Tumhe na koci puujetha means You bow to no one in Pali.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Zulu is amazing all throughout, I get all anxious every time I watch it and then cry at the end. I have loved that movie since I was a little kid.

The Last Samurai made me cry, and so did the end of The Notebook. Sheesh. I cry at everything.

Grave of the Fireflies was another one. Do not watch it without an uplifting backup!

Zulu was/is amazing, I agree.

Crying is another issue. I rarely cry, overall. But I'm a sucker for crying at movies. I cried like a fool at the end of Babe! I once even cried during an episode of Andy Griffith.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I prefer happy endings, but...

Casablanca.

Yes ... an all-time classic.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The ending to Primal Fear blew me away. I sank into my seat and said, "Oh. My. God."

I never saw that one coming, and I almost always do.

One I didn't see coming for some reason was The Sixth Sense. I went to that movie not expecting much and just started watching, and it really caught me by surprise, even though in retrospect it was so obvious.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, I love Casablanca.

Any of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. They're the perfect combination of evocative score, landscape and an actor who's perfect for the part without ruining it by talking all the time. The endings seem to encapsulate all of that.

It's not an ending but I really liked the trailer for the Watchmen film. It was incredibly atmospheric, with the rain, the Smashing Pumpkins track and the growling narrative (it's on youtube but I'm too inept to post links). It really made me want to go and see the film which turned out to be disappointingly feeble.

I do love the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. And the end of Unforgiven also was amazing.

Fran
01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
One I didn't see coming for some reason was The Sixth Sense. I went to that movie not expecting much and just started watching, and it really caught me by surprise, even though in retrospect it was so obvious.

I had that with The Others. My best friend and I went to see it and didn't see the ending coming at all, but most people who've seen it say it's really obvious! I think we just got sucked in and didn't really think about how it was going to end.

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I had that with The Others. My best friend and I went to see it and didn't see the ending coming at all, but most people who've seen it say it's really obvious! I think we just got sucked in and didn't really think about how it was going to end.

You know, I tend to do that with movies anyway. I like to just watch and enjoy rather than try to play Sherlock Holmes. Figuring everything out in advance takes at least some of the fun out of it for me.

The Others was a cool movie too. Underrated, I thought.

dgrintalis
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I forgot about The Others. I'm usually good at figuring out movies like that, but not that time. I just sat there open-mouthed in shock. :)

Death Wizard
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Did anyone else besides me cry at the end of Babe? There's something about standing ovations that get to me.

Fran
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
You know, I tend to do that with movies anyway. I like to just watch and enjoy rather than try to play Sherlock Holmes. Figuring everything out in advance takes at least some of the fun out of it for me.

The Others was a cool movie too. Underrated, I thought.

I like to just watch films too without speculating. It's like people who go to films just to spot continuity errors. Just watch it! :D

CatSlave
01-17-2010, 02:34 AM
I forgot about The Others. I'm usually good at figuring out movies like that, but not that time. I just sat there open-mouthed in shock. :)
Oh yes, that was awesome.

Kaiser-Kun
01-17-2010, 03:59 AM
I thought the ending of Narnia: Prince Caspian was excellent as well, specially for the music.

Also: Not movies, but videogames. I loved the endings for Final Fantasy IX and Kingdom Hearts.

Canotila
01-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Did anyone else besides me cry at the end of Babe? There's something about standing ovations that get to me.

I admit it. Not just the standing ovation part, but where farmer Hogget sings to him too.

It wasn't a very good movie or ending, but the newer Godzilla made me cry when they killed godzilla and her babies. I think it was because they reminded me of my old iguana.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I admit it. Not just the standing ovation part, but where farmer Hogget sings to him too.

It wasn't a very good movie or ending, but the newer Godzilla made me cry when they killed godzilla and her babies. I think it was because they reminded me of my old iguana.

Ha! I have to admit that I never cried at Gozilla. But for the most part in movies, when it comes to the part where you're supposed to cry, tears will come to my eyes. I find myself staring at the walls and pretending that I'm an electrician rewiring the exit signs or something like that.

Don Allen
01-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Holy Shit!!! I thought about this at the store today...."Field of dreams", how could we miss that.....

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Holy Shit!!! I thought about this at the store today...."Field of dreams", how could we miss that.....

Man, you're right ... a mind-blower.

And Blade-Runner!

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Schindler's List

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Schindler's List

Another awesome one!

One of the all-time weirdest endings was The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea.

aadams73
01-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I liked the ending to Siesta. Such an odd movie, yet I enjoyed it a great deal.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Somehow I missed that one.

aadams73
01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
It's with Ellen Barkin, Gabriel Byrne, Isabella Rosselini, and Julian Sands--definitely worth a look if you can find it. I'm not sure it's ever been released on DVD, which is a pity.

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Another awesome one!

One of the all-time weirdest endings was The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea.

At the end when all the real people place stones on Schindler's grave, the last person to go is Liam Neeson, but you can only see his shadow.

I know someone who was really in that camp. The scene in the movie where the Nazi is on the hill just shooting Jews randomly is 100% accurate according to her.

ETA: It's cheesy, but I like the ending to Gladiator.

slcboston
01-17-2010, 07:49 AM
... It suddenly occurs to me no one's mentioned the original "Planet of the Apes."

Or am I the only one of my generation who watched it without knowing how it was going to end?

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 07:50 AM
I didn't know how it was going to end. The poor cinematography killed the effect it would have had on me though.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:51 AM
It's with Ellen Barkin, Gabriel Byrne, Isabella Rosselini, and Julian Sands--definitely worth a look if you can find it. I'm not sure it's ever been released on DVD, which is a pity.

Now I'm thinking I might have seen it. How long ago did it come out? Seems like a long time ago.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:53 AM
... It suddenly occurs to me no one's mentioned the original "Planet of the Apes."

Or am I the only one of my generation who watched it without knowing how it was going to end?

For its time, the original Planet of the Apes was excellent. Chuck at his best.

aadams73
01-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Wow, about twenty years ago?

Yup, 1987. (Siesta, that is.)

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 07:54 AM
At the end when all the real people place stones on Schindler's grave, the last person to go is Liam Neeson, but you can only see his shadow.

I know someone who was really in that camp. The scene in the movie where the Nazi is on the hill just shooting Jews randomly is 100% accurate according to her.

ETA: It's cheesy, but I like the ending to Gladiator.

I don't think anything was cheesy about Gladiator.

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't think anything was cheesy about Gladiator.

The ending was kind of obvious, and the last words in the movie were pretty cheesy. But it fit the movie, and I absolutely love it. The soundtrack is brilliant. Hans Zimmer rocks.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 08:03 AM
The ending was kind of obvious, and the last words in the movie were pretty cheesy. But it fit the movie, and I absolutely love it. The soundtrack is brilliant. Hans Zimmer rocks.

I loved it too. I have a couple of friends who rank it as their all-time favorite.

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow, about twenty years ago?

Yup, 1987. (Siesta, that is.)

1987 ... you know, I think I saw it way back then.

Slushie
01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
There Will Be Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yb1GmvIxxw&feature=related) has a great ending. Really, click that link. It's got to be one of the best ownages ever and Daniel Day Lewis is an awesome actor, so convincing. I drink your milkshake!

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 09:24 AM
There Will Be Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yb1GmvIxxw&feature=related) has a great ending. Really, click that link. It's got to be one of the best ownages ever and Daniel Day Lewis is an awesome actor, so convincing. I drink your milkshake!

Wow. Amazing. Another movie I never saw.

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Ugh, that movie was terrible. DDL is awesome, but that movie was waaaaaaaaay too long and unsatisfying.

Silent Rob
01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I can't remember which star wars film is which, but I'm thinking of the one where darth vadar gets killed. The scene with his body on the funeral pyre is really quite atmospheric, I think. One of the scenes I always remember.

regdog
01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I can't remember which star wars film is which, but I'm thinking of the one where darth vadar gets killed. The scene with his body on the funeral pyre is really quite atmospheric, I think. One of the scenes I always remember.

Episode 6-Return of the Jedi

Jersey Chick
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Field of Dreams - I choke up every time Costner asks his dad to have a catch.

Ugh - I've got to have a few more, but I'm blanking out. Perhaps after a little more coffee.

(I read Dances with Wolves and the book wrecked me when they killed his horse and the wolf. Bastids)

regdog
01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Saint of Fort Washington
Raise the Red Lantern

Death Wizard
01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Saint of Fort Washington
Raise the Red Lantern

Raise the Red Lantern is another one of those movies that everyone says is great and I've never gotten around to watching. This thread has turned into a movie list for me.

Slushie
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Raise the Red Lantern is another one of those movies that everyone says is great and I've never gotten around to watching. This thread has turned into a movie list for me.

Same. My to-be-watched list keeps growing. But I really should be writing. Well, after football I will. . .

semilargeintestine
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Field of Dreams is another movie I hated. Kevin Costner was just so 1-dimensional in that movie (and many other ones).

I like the ending to The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. The scene at the bottom of the ocean with the shark is awesome. So many good scenes in that movie.

dolores haze
01-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Dancer In The Dark.

It was so embarassing to be crying so hard in a movie theatre.

Same thing happened with his 'Breaking the Waves.'

Now I only watch his films at home.

rhymegirl
01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
First of all I think "powerful" can have different meanings; it depends on what you consider powerful. If it means explosive or shocking, that's one thing.

If we think of it as simply something that had a big impact on you as the viewer, that's another thing.

In that way of looking at it, I would choose a film like Gladiator because every time I watch the film, it still has the same emotional effect on me at the end.

I also like the ending of Fried Green Tomatoes. Evelyn and Mrs. Threadgoode have a nice scene together, talk about friendship and walk off as we see what the town used to look like.

It's a Wonderful Life has a really happy ending, maybe corny, but it always makes me smile.

For powerful surprise endings I'd pick The Others and The Sixth Sense.

For powerful, sad/serious-type endings I'd say Platoon when Charlie Sheen's character kills Sgt. Barnes and later is lifted into the helicopter and you see his face as he is leaving, the death scene at the end in Tombstone when Doc is visited by Wyatt, the freedom scene at the end in Braveheart.

Oh and I love the ending of Rocky. It gets to me every time.

regdog
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Curse of the Golden Flower

Death Wizard
01-18-2010, 03:06 AM
First of all I think "powerful" can have different meanings; it depends on what you consider powerful. If it means explosive or shocking, that's one thing.

If we think of it as simply something that had a big impact on you as the viewer, that's another thing.

In that way of looking at it, I would choose a film like Gladiator because every time I watch the film, it still has the same emotional effect on me at the end.

I also like the ending of Fried Green Tomatoes. Evelyn and Mrs. Threadgoode have a nice scene together, talk about friendship and walk off as we see what the town used to look like.

It's a Wonderful Life has a really happy ending, maybe corny, but it always makes me smile.

For powerful, sad/serious-type endings I'd say Platoon when Charlie Sheen's character kills Sgt. Barnes and later is lifted into the helicopter and you see his face as he is leaving, the death scene at the end in Tombstone when Doc is visited by Wyatt, the freedom scene at the end in Braveheart.

Oh and I love the ending of Rocky. It gets to me every time.

The original Rocky was a truly excellent movie.

Canotila
01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Water by Deepa Mehta was a very powerful film, all the way through to the end. It made me cry several times. Her set was burned down by a mob while filming, and she was getting death threats so ended up having to cancel production and finish the film in secret in Sri Lanka.

It's about an Indian child bride who is widowed at 8 years old and sent to live in an impoverished ashram with other widows. Very sad movie, but one that everyone should see. The cinematography is really beautiful too.

Mela
01-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Agreed on Blow, for sure.

Blow, great movie - sad ending.
Revolutionary Road - I think there's only 5 minutes of happiness in the entire movie
Sophie's Choice - never saw that coming (the choice between the son and the daughter)
Atonement - because there's something haunting about it
Thelma and Louise - well, what else could they have done?
Flashdance - because it makes you remember that you can always ask for a second chance
Gone With the Wind - because tomorrow is another day
Ben Hur - yay, lepers
Fiddler on the Roof - I like to think that Tevya struck it big in America

Mela
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM

Oh yeah, The Others - did not see that coming

Death Wizard
01-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Blow, great movie - sad ending.
Revolutionary Road - I think there's only 5 minutes of happiness in the entire movie
Sophie's Choice - never saw that coming (the choice between the son and the daughter)
Atonement - because there's something haunting about it
Thelma and Louise - well, what else could they have done?
Flashdance - because it makes you remember that you can always ask for a second chance
Gone With the Wind - because tomorrow is another day
Ben Hur - yay, lepers
Fiddler on the Roof - I like to think that Tevya struck it big in America

I knew Sophie's Choice because I already had read the book. That is a rare example of a movie and book being very close in terms of overall quality.

Yeshanu
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Another vote here for Return of the King (anyone really surprised? :tongue).

And Life is Beautiful is a powerful film all the way through.

Slushie
01-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Just remembered one I've watched recently. The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas. Very very good ending. Highly recommended.

Death Wizard
01-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Just remembered one I've watched recently. The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas. Very very good ending. Highly recommended.

Another one I haven't seen. Damn!

Wayne K
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z48Y0sQzxxs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z48Y0sQzxxs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wayne K
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dH4p9BQ3V9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dH4p9BQ3V9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Canotila
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
To Live. Another movie with a powerful ending, and just a really good movie overall. It's directed by the same person who made Raise the Red Lantern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZUbjttUPc

Slushie
01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
How do you put youtubes directly in the post? I can't figure it out. Help! I suck at 'puters.

ETA: Thanks Wayne.

darkprincealain
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I haven't read all of the thread yet, but the two that first came to mind when I read the thread title were Brokedown Palace, and White Oleander.

I wouldn't say that every good movie I've seen has a powerful ending. Often, it's the so-so ones that have a final scene that just sets the movie right.

Another one that just occurred to me while typing this: The Five Senses.

Hittman
01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDave%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht mlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDave%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht mlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDave%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht mlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:12.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-add-space:auto; text-indent:.25in; line-height:150%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p.MsoNormalCxSpFirst, li.MsoNormalCxSpFirst, div.MsoNormalCxSpFirst {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-style-type:export-only; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; text-indent:.25in; line-height:150%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p.MsoNormalCxSpMiddle, li.MsoNormalCxSpMiddle, div.MsoNormalCxSpMiddle {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-style-type:export-only; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; text-indent:.25in; line-height:150%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p.MsoNormalCxSpLast, li.MsoNormalCxSpLast, div.MsoNormalCxSpLast {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-style-type:export-only; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:12.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-add-space:auto; text-indent:.25in; line-height:150%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:12.0pt; text-indent:.25in; line-height:200%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:12.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; text-indent:.25in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->
The original Rocky was a truly excellent movie.
<o:p> </o:p>
So was his Horror Picture Show.

kayleamay
01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
I love the scene in Love Actually where the little kid runs through the airport. I don't know why, but that scene made the movie for me. Probably because he's such a cute little bugger.

Wayne K
01-21-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't want to spoil an ending. But for sports movies, the winner is North Dallas Forty.

dgrintalis
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Twelve Monkeys had an awesome ending, too.

Mela
01-21-2010, 01:33 AM
I watch it every time it's on: Airport
Dean Martin, Burt Lancaster, Helen Hayes, George Kennedy.
They can drive a dinky station wagon all over the airport during the blizzard of the century but can't get a Boeing off the runway.

Cheesy final ending: Burt and secretary go back to her place for scrambled eggs.
But there's still a lot of tension build up in landing the plane and for some reason it never gets old.

DrummerGirl
01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
The Empire Strikes Back. Love that it ended with the empire and not the rebels winning. Love the Han/Leia thing too.

I loved The Beach, love the crazy scene with the gun on Leonardo's head and then everyone disbanding the cult colony (even though it didn't go down that way in the book...) the tension building up to it was fab too, with Leo as a crazy ninja in the woods.

Back in the day ;) I loved White Squall and Dead Poet's Society. Was a young teen for both of these and completely in awe of the endings.

Braveheart: really, what can compare? I still feel it just as powerfully as the first time. William Wallace FTW.

And, these aren't movies, but The David Tennant Dr Who's - end of season 2 with Billie Piper - tragic. And end of season 4 with Catherine Tate - I SO wanted to change it, that she would never remember him or any of their adventures...killed me.

DrummerGirl
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Twelve Monkeys had an awesome ending, too.

Oh, yeah. Awesomeness :)

regdog
01-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Tsotsi