A Completely Typical UK Local Newspaper

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Framley Examiner. A sterling example of professional editing, journalistic research and quality local interest articles.

It's very well done. :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Aaah, like "We turn your business ideas into crisps!". :ROFL:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Rats. I was hoping they would explain exactly how the parrot rescued the psychic.

I seriously love things that are so bad they are good. Well, some of them.

There's a tabloid in North America called World News or some similar nonsense that is very similar to this. If you read the fine print, they do make it clear that the publication is for entertainment purposes only. But for years I thought it was just a particularly bad tabloid, they do such a good job of spoofing them.

The cover with Hillary Clinton making out with an alien was particularly memorable. As was the one claiming that the sharks attacking bathers on Florida beaches were sent there by Fidel Castro. :D

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been prouder to be British. Have you seen Newsbiscuit? (Sorry, too inept to work out how to do links)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
There's a tabloid in North America called World News or some similar nonsense that is very similar to this. If you read the fine print, they do make it clear that the publication is for entertainment purposes only. But for years I thought it was just a particularly bad tabloid, they do such a good job of spoofing them.

Where is Bat Boy?!

The Weekly World News. We used to get it over here but I haven't seen it for quite some time. My favourite made-up story in that was about a cat who'd lost his back legs. His owners put wheels on him and said "He loves doing wheelies up and down the driveway!". My friends and I were in the pub and could not. Stop. Laughing. It's just as well we knew the owners or there might have been polis involvement. :D

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Ah yes. Bat Boy. I never actually read the thing, but I see the covers sometimes when I'm standing in the grocery line. I finally deigned to touch one a couple of years ago and discovered the fine print, which tickled my funny bone. I had spent years thinking, "I can't believe anybody takes this stuff seriously!" It scares me to think that there are probably people who buy it without reading the fine print and who do indeed take it seriously. But as parody, it's magnificent.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That has to be a wind up. That first sentence! :ROFL:

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where the heck is Framley anyway? I'm an ex-Berkshire girl myself :tongue.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. OH! It IS a wind-up! Pour me another...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Rats. I was hoping they would explain exactly how the parrot rescued the psychic.

I seriously love things that are so bad they are good. Well, some of them.

The cover with Hillary Clinton making out with an alien was particularly memorable. As was the one claiming that the sharks attacking bathers on Florida beaches were sent there by Fidel Castro. :D

Weekly World News it is. Only online now.