PDA

View Full Version : Hi, my name is James and I have an addiction...

James81
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
This is the hardest post I've ever had to write here, but I know I need to do it. I know that if I don't admit my problem openly, it will eventually chew away at me until there is literally nothing left.

But, yes, I am addicted. And this addiction intertwines into my daily life. Everyday I take it up, like a mantle, and every night before I go to bed, I lay it down with regret.

And that addiction is:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KGE0KV9SL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

These frikin pop tarts. Sweet mother God they are so frikin tastey. And not the fruity ones. I am talking specifically about the hot fudge sundae ones. They are like little sheets of heaven and I can't get enough of them.

semilargeintestine
01-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I love the strawberry frosted ones. I used to loooooooooooooove them. They're not kosher. :(

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I thought kosher had to do with meat (specifically how an animal is slaughtered) and not pop tarts. Pop tarts aren't kosher? Not to be a neb, but, hows come?

And, I can sympathize. I'm not addicted to Pop Tarts, specifically, but I do have an unhealthy love of all things made with or of highly processed sugar.

Kind of like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhWgQxKg4g

semilargeintestine
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I thought kosher had to do with meat (specifically how an animal is slaughtered) and not pop tarts. Pop tarts aren't kosher? Not to be a neb, but, hows come?

And, I can sympathize. I'm not addicted to Pop Tarts, specifically, but I do have an unhealthy love of all things made with or of highly processed sugar.

Kind of like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhWgQxKg4g

Any food or anything (foil, cleaners, utensils) that touches food has to be kosher. Pop Tarts aren't kosher because there is no supervision on their products; therefore, there is no way to know if their equipment is kosher, so it is assumed that they are not.

The slaughtering of the animal is just the second step in a long list of what makes meat kosher. The list is shorter for other foods, but it doesn't just apply to meat and fowl.

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Any food or anything (foil, cleaners, utensils) that touches food has to be kosher. Pop Tarts aren't kosher because there is no supervision on their products; therefore, there is no way to know if their equipment is kosher, so it is assumed that they are not.

Okay. Makes sense.

Yeah, I imagine there's a lot of unholy stuff in what the average American consumes.

I tell people that I won't be have to be embalmed when I finally bite the dust. I've already ingested enough preservatives and additives to do the job over a lifetime :)

AryaT92
01-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Wow... I need some now!

LOG
01-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Sundae ones are my favorite, along with s'mores.

Alpha Echo
01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
You know, I used to love poptarts as a kid. My dad would toast them for us and then melt butter over them. Ooooh, yeah.

But now, every once in awhile, I'll crave one only to be massively disappointed. Sad really b/c sometimes I really want a poptart!

brainstorm77
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
They have Smores pies at Mc D's

semilargeintestine
01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Okay. Makes sense.

Yeah, I imagine there's a lot of unholy stuff in what the average American consumes.

I tell people that I won't be have to be embalmed when I finally bite the dust. I've already ingested enough preservatives and additives to do the job over a lifetime :)

Just in case anyone was interested, and to avoid a further derail, I started a thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168569) about kosher stuff.

stormie
01-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Didn't know there's Hot Fudge Sundae. Thanks for cluing me in, James. I just grab the S'mores Pop Tarts off the shelf.

bclement412
01-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I love the Strawberry Poptarts-- actually, I have some in my backpack right now for exam fuel lol. Now I want to try those chocolate ones!!

Bubastes
01-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I used to adore the cherry and blueberry frosted ones. Now I can't bring myself to eat them. Alton Brown showed how to make homemade Pop Tarts on one of his Good Eats episodes, so I'll have to try that out instead.

bettielee
01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Whatever you choose to do, James, I hope you know you have support here.

Now, where can one score these? I ain't seen 'em...

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 12:07 AM
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Whatever you choose to do, James, I hope you know you have support here.

Now, where can one score these? I ain't seen 'em...

I have kind of an opposite thought...

Which stores are promoting these so I can avoid them with my children... :D

Seriously, it's like the rules with mogwai you don't feed them after midnight. And with kids, you don't feed them poptarts in the morning unless you want to hear unhappy things from the teacher at the end of the day.

They look yummy, though. Even if they are probably evil incarnate in terms of (lack of) nutritional value.

Shadow_Ferret
01-16-2010, 12:19 AM
When I'm in the store buying Poptarts I always feel obligated to tell the cashier, "They're... um... for my kids." I don't think she believes me.

But I'm really addicted to Suzie-Q's.

backslashbaby
01-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Just never buy them. Ever.

I can't have any Nutella. I lose all control around that stuff!

KTC
01-16-2010, 12:40 AM
yuk. preservative-laden cardboard rectangles. how gauche.

aadams73
01-16-2010, 01:10 AM
I can't have any Nutella. I lose all control around that stuff!

Oh me either! I'd be sitting on the floor cross-legged with a spoon and the whole jar. For some reason I like licking it off the back of the spoon. Weird.

I used to make Nutella danishes. One spoon for the recipe, one for me, one for the recipe, two for me...

bettielee
01-16-2010, 02:18 AM

way to use fancy words none of us understand, Kevin!

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 02:36 AM

Hey, I'm an Amurkin and in my natural habitat, my diet consists of little more than cardboard fashioned into various shapes/textures. All of which is laced with copious amounts of high fructose corn-syrup, msg, and various preservatives (which I cannot even begin to pronounce thanks to my lack of training in inorganic chemistry).

I find your comments completely culturally and species-insensitive.

:wag:

Tepelus
01-16-2010, 02:37 AM
My cat loves the blueberry Poptarts. I open up a package and he comes up to me begging. He rarely begs for food, but Poptarts, yes.

Judg
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM
I find them totally and utterly resistable. My last Pop Tart was decades ago.

So I won't be much help in answering your agonized cry for help. Unless "Why on earth do you want to eat that crap?" somehow lodges deep in your psyche.

But then, I have reached the point where I can look at a pastry cart and not have my mouth water. I have no clue why this is, but I take it as a positive development. Lot easier to keep the weight off that way.

Shadow_Ferret
01-16-2010, 03:04 AM
I find them totally and utterly resistable. My last Pop Tart was decades ago.

I wouldn't judg them by what they tasted like decades ago. They've improved them. They're chocolate and delicious now.

Judg
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Alas, I have forsworn chocolate. When I found out that 70% of the world's cocoa is harvested by slave labour, I just couldn't justify buying it anymore. Except for the occasional bar of fair trade chocolate. And I love chocolate, but... There's just no way I can help fund slavery. Especially not for a luxury item.

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 03:38 AM
When I'm in the store buying Poptarts I always feel obligated to tell the cashier, "They're... um... for my kids." I don't think she believes me.

But I'm really addicted to Suzie-Q's.

damn you all! You're making me. . .drool.

I love these things. People at work look at me like I'm insane. (but, that's off-subject)

and my t-shirt says: I'm like a chocoholic. . .but for beer.

rhymegirl
01-16-2010, 04:28 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about being addicted to AW.

I can't have pop tarts.

aadams73
01-16-2010, 04:34 AM
I can't have pop tarts.

I won't have Pop Tarts. Is there any actual food in them or is it all just cancer-inducing chemicals?

Not that I'm fanatical about healthy food, but I do stop to consider what I'm shoveling into my body.

KTC
01-16-2010, 04:35 AM
way to use fancy words none of us understand, Kevin!

i'm sure that is not the case, beetle. (-;

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 04:42 AM
I won't have Pop Tarts. Is there any actual food in them or is it all just cancer-inducing chemicals?

Not that I'm fanatical about healthy food, but I do stop to consider what I'm shoveling into my body.

Nope, just carcinogens and artificially sweetened radioactive goo.

Who knew death could be so tasty?

KTC
01-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Who knew death could be so tasty?

Ronald.

McDonald.

jennontheisland
01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Nope, nothing in there that could be called food if it was sitting in a pile in front of you.

You'd have to pay me a significant amount of cash up front for me to eat a poptart.

Nutella.... spoon please.

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Ronald.

McDonald.

Tru dat.

aadams73
01-16-2010, 04:57 AM

Oh yeah! Bring it on!

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Nope, nothing in there that could be called food if it was sitting in a pile in front of you.

You'd have to pay me a significant amount of cash up front for me to eat a poptart.

All the Pop Tarts that you don't want, I'll eat.

It's vegetables that I can't eat. Well, I tried to eat them once, but my body rejected them.

KTC
01-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Oh. The yuck. The sheer yuckage. Toss hazelnut into a thing and that thing automatically becomes the grossness. Oh. The yuck.

aadams73
01-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Oh. The yuck. The sheer yuckage. Toss hazelnut into a thing and that thing automatically becomes the grossness. Oh. The yuck.

Oh goody, more for us!

AlterEgox5
01-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Aaaaaaaaw now I want some. D:

rhymegirl
01-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Yogurt tastes good. And it's good for ya.

stormie
01-16-2010, 05:24 AM
As long as it has chocolate in it. :D

rhymegirl
01-16-2010, 05:26 AM
As long as it has chocolate in it. :D

I like vanilla yogurt. And peach.

But I can be talked into having some chocolate yogurt.

aadams73
01-16-2010, 05:29 AM

I love yogurt, as long as it doesn't have High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Cassiopeia
01-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Oh. The yuck. The sheer yuckage. Toss hazelnut into a thing and that thing automatically becomes the grossness. Oh. The yuck.Awesomeness...now I know what to put in my coffee at the conference so you won't swipe it. :D

MaryMumsy
01-16-2010, 06:19 AM

The slaughtering of the animal is just the second step in a long list of what makes meat kosher. The list is shorter for other foods, but it doesn't just apply to meat and fowl.

My favorite, available over the interwebs, brownies are kosher. Both the owners of the company are Jewish, although she, at least, doesn't keep kosher at home.

MM