Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
For your word count figure, do you include:

1 - title page
2 - table of contents
3 - foreword (written by someone else)
4 - glossary
5 - footnotes (which are sometimes just citations, but other times contain text I've written)

Thanks!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
The glossary and annotated table of contents together are 1,100 words. The foreword is 500 words. My footnotes are pretty darned extensive (20,300 words). So we are beyond rounding error.

Perhaps given the length of my book it doesn't make any difference. It would make my book not seem overly long, though, if there were some accepted rule that one doesn't include certain things. Counting everything is easy but it makes my book sound longer than it actually reads.

Would it be goofy to have two word counts: one with and the other without footnotes? (Or give the total word count and add "including 20,300 in footnotes") I'm thinking that if I do it this way the reviewers can count the footnotes however they want.

Jeez, when I first posted I hadn't checked how much I'd footnoted!

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone just round to the thousand? I mean, if mine ends up being 75,631, I'd probably just say 76,000... I highly doubt the agent really cares about those extra 369 words... After all, that's not even 1% of the entire manuscript, it's like .4% ..?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is nonfiction. I'm also assuming this is very academic. With this amount of words in your footnotes, I'd include both a word count for the narrative and a word count for all the footnotes. Glossary and table of contents numbers are not that high that they'd cause problems.

The reason you want to separate this out is because you fit a lot more words in footnotes than in regular writing. Books are put together in signatures, which consist of say 16 pages. Normally you figure 250 words per page. At 250 words per page, this means something like 80 pages, or 5 signatures. But because footnotes can be printed smaller, a publisher can figure more words, for example say 400 words per page. By doing this, we bring you down to about 50 pages, or 3 signatures. Think a publisher would notice the difference in cost?

For EQUINE LIABILITY, I faced limitations on print size for footnotes, endnotes, and indexing to get rid of a signature. But both the editor and I could live with that limitation there as opposed to the main text.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone just round to the thousand? I mean, if mine ends up being 75,631, I'd probably just say 76,000... I highly doubt the agent really cares about those extra 369 words... After all, that's not even 1% of the entire manuscript, it's like .4% ..?

I do that. More words are likely to be removed during the editing process than any rounding would eliminate. Agents are looking for accurate ballpark figures. I agree the agent doesn't care about those extra 369 words, and if they see a big round number they realize it's (in all likelihood) an estimate.

Of course, agents all have different opinions and quirks. I'm sure there are some out there that like the exact figure... I've just never encountered them.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Jim,

Since you wrote a book with footnotes, may I ask you a formatting question for my manuscript also? Right now I am putting the separate files together (which for some reason my word processing program sees as an excuse to change the formatting randomly, grrrr), switching to a standard manuscript font rather than one I wanted to see when working on the computer, and so on.

It looks better to me to put the footnotes in 10 point rather than the 12 point of the regular text, but to still double space for ease of reading. Is this correct or, at least, acceptable? Footnotes seem so rare these days in regular books; it isn't a manuscript format issue I've seen addressed. I know that is the way briefs to the Supreme Court are done, but then courts of appeals may have their own different rules. If 10 point is a no-no, maybe 11? It is just having the same font as text just looks wrong to me.

Yes, my book is nonfiction. Even I am not obsessive compulsive enough to write fiction with 20,300 words of footnotes! But now I wonder about what one rounds to ... I've been thinking the nearest hundred. But maybe the nearest 500 is better. (Who knows, I may reread my book when I am busy querying and decide on some modest revisions. I don't want to have to change my cover page or my book proposal ...)

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. After six months of revisions and rounds of beta reads, I am so anxious to just start querying already.

Diane

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I did both footnotes and endnotes. Endnotes were used for the legal citations, while footnotes were used were I needed to clarify things in the text. For instance, I comment on state supreme courts, and have a footnote that New York's state supreme court is called the Court of Appeals. Ultimately, footnotes went on the pages that they applied to, while the endnotes were all at the end of the book (the could also go at the end of each chapter).

Mainly for the sake of both my eyes and my editor's, footnotes were done in the normal font during the editing stage. They pretty much read as normal text. The endnotes were done in 14pt type during editing. This enabled us to see them a lot clearer. The proofreader especially appreciated it. Then when the book was put onto proofs, my editor just switched everything around to the type faces that she wanted. My editor was experienced with nonfiction and knew had to calculate the end size of this stuff, although she was not familiar with the weird quirks of legal writing.

If you're relying on Word to correctly count legal citations, especially with people who aren't familiar with them, don't. For example, Smith v. Jones, 110 NH 143, 423 A2d 564 (NH) counts as ten words. Normally words average five letters, and if you count this that way, you only get seven words. Problem is this will mean you'll need 30% less space than you estimate based upon word count.

I took a look at the final version (although not the actual book) for EQUINE LIABILITY. I have 10,390 words in endnotes, although only a little over 50,000 characters. It ran for about fifteen pages. That runs nearly 700 words per page, which is one reason why endnotes and footnotes need to be separated for word count.

However, depending on the book proposal, any publisher is going to automatically assume footnotes and endnotes. I didn't discuss them at the proposal stage. Towards the end of the process, the editor and I had disagreements about the indexing. I wanted a detailed state index and she wanted none. Compromised on a reduced state index that runs less than a page.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I do that. More words are likely to be removed during the editing process than any rounding would eliminate. Agents are looking for accurate ballpark figures. I agree the agent doesn't care about those extra 369 words, and if they see a big round number they realize it's (in all likelihood) an estimate.

Of course, agents all have different opinions and quirks. I'm sure there are some out there that like the exact figure... I've just never encountered them.

Yes the loss of words to editing was kind of what I was thinking too! Good to know rounding is generally allowed... I don't know why, it just bothers me to put in my query letter "65,430" words.. it feels like TMI or something...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
If you're relying on Word to correctly count legal citations, especially with people who aren't familiar with them, don't. For example, Smith v. Jones, 110 NH 143, 423 A2d 564 (NH) counts as ten words. Normally words average five letters, and if you count this that way, you only get seven words. Problem is this will mean you'll need 30% less space than you estimate based upon word count.

So how would one count them, total number of characters then divide by 5, or something like that?

Actually, while I have legal citations I cite academic literature more often. (I am dealing with special education, in case anyone wonders how I have a subject calling for both.) So I would have to go out and separate out what is legal, change that word count, and then figure out what to do with the rest? Seems like more trouble than it is worth. (Then I would probably have to explain to potential agents what I have done, I suppose.)

Heck, the best way for anyone to estimate the number of pages my book would take would simply be to look at my manuscript.

I do realize that I am obsessing about minutiae to avoid thinking of the bigger issue, namely, will anybody want to represent my book, whatever the word count or choice of font.

Oh well, I'm going to watch some basketball and then some football, as I laboriously try to fix the formatting that Word has so helpfully screwed up.

Diane

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Because of your subject matter, I think any agent or publisher will assume you're going to have quite a few footnotes. Personally I don't think in this case I'd put down the word count for the footnotes. I'd have the information available for when asked, but other than that, I'd figure on the publisher dealing with the mechanics of this.

Word count is what determines page count. That's why it matters to agents and publishers. But here, anyone familiar with publishing can do some quick calculations. Let's say your word count is 75,000 words for the main body of the book. That's 300 pages, more or less.

But we're going to need room for footnotes, a table of contents, index, forward, acknowledgments, and maybe some pictures. So let's call the page count 350 pages. That's going to cost X to produce, which means the publisher has to charge Y to make a profit. But will the market support a price of Y for your book. That's going to be the question a publisher has to answer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe