PDA

View Full Version : thinking about doing something marginally evil...

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Perhaps it is because, once again, it is the middle of the night and I'm not asleep. Or, maybe it's just because evil comes natural to me the way flight does to little birds...

It looks like a local theatre troupe is doing a call for woman-centered 10 minute plays. So, I'm thinking about turning something that happened (of course, with lots of embellishment--names changed to protect the dignity of the guilty) at my former-obstetrician's office (former, because I quit going after a really uncomfortable experience in which she interjected her religious views into the appointment.

Do you think it would be too evil to use that experience, with some editing, for the purpose of a 10 minute play? I mean, there is the possibility it would be viewed by someone (if selected...which I wouldn't count on...at all).

Or is all fair in love and writing?

CACTUSWENDY
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
No clue what direction you are going with this or what it is...so hard to give insight to.

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
No clue what direction you are going with this or what it is...so hard to give insight to.

The internet ate my last post.

Basically just a discussion (no stirrups involved) in which the doctor gets pushy with religion. I thought it would be kind of interesting to try poking fun at that while bringing up some issues related to women's health choices (in particular, sterilization).

CACTUSWENDY
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
If done well, then you should give it a shot. It could come out as horror or humor...depending on your take.

kayleamay
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, as long as names are changed to protect the guilty and details are embellished enough to keep things hopping, I'm pretty sure that's called....what's that word again? Oh, yeah, WRITING! YEAH! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :D

Silent Rob
01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
EVIL! The choice of the professional.

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, as long as names are changed to protect the guilty and details are embellished enough to keep things hopping, I'm pretty sure that's called....what's that word again? Oh, yeah, WRITING! YEAH! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :D

I'm thinking husband, wife, and doctor in a discussion that kind of escalates from friendly Q&A into more trecherous territory between the two women. The husband would be kind of sitting there trying to blend into the fake ficus at the corner of the room in an "Oh good lord, I knew I should've just gone into work today" way.

kayleamay
01-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking husband, wife, and doctor in a discussion that kind of escalates from friendly Q&A into more trecherous territory between the two women. The husband would be kind of sitting there trying to blend into the fake ficus at the corner of the room in an "Oh good lord, I knew I should've just gone into work today" way.

I like it.

aadams73
01-15-2010, 08:25 PM
It seems petty to me to use real life situations in such a way that what you're really doing is exacting revenge. If that one event triggers something entirely new, it's one thing. But you're clearly concerned enough to a) ask, and b) be concerned that someone might recognize the players.

But then I've never been the type to cast my enemies as villains or victims in my stories. Yes, I realize I'm weird like that. :D

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I like it.

Thanks. Now I have to see if I can write it.

I generally tend to think dialogue is one of my strong points, so, maybe a play would be a good thing to write. Or not. I could suck at that, too.

Oh well, it gives me something to do other than piss and moan about all the fun I've been having lately. Might as well piss and moan in play format and try to get some amusement out of it. :)

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
It seems petty to me to use real life situations in such a way that what you're really doing is exacting revenge. If that one event triggers something entirely new, it's one thing. But you're clearly concerned enough to a) ask, and b) be concerned that someone might recognize the players.

But then I've never been the type to cast my enemies as villains or victims in my stories. Yes, I realize I'm weird like that. :D

:Shrug: Not really, I thought it would be an interesting topic.

I doubt anyone would recognize the players. It might not be popular with die-hard Roman Catholics in the general vicinity, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

aadams73
01-15-2010, 08:42 PM

I doubt anyone would recognize the players. It might not be popular with die-hard Roman Catholics in the general vicinity, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Oh, well, do proceed. :D

It's funny how often doctors pass judgment. When I was 19 or maybe 20, my usual doctor was away and his fill-in was a creep who I shall call Dr. Pixley, because that was his name. I went in for a refill on my birth control pill and he proceeded to give me a lecture on how all young women were irresponsible whores and disease-ridden sluts. My mother was with me. Both of us sat there aghast.

A few years later, one of my best friends happened upon this same doctor. She was there for a pregnancy test confirmation. She was married with one child already. He proceeded to give her the same whore/slut lecture.

Fast forward about six months--give or take. I was at the movies with a different friend and who do we see? Dr. Pixley, with what was very clearly his very male date. I just shook my head and laughed.

Maryn
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
[And now, as a grown woman, you'd report Pixley to the AMA as fast as you can type, I hope.]

I go to a lot of theatre, including short play readings. (Went to one Monday, in fact.) This idea could work, but like any play, it needs resolution. I would think that you might benefit from doing any of several things: Change the type of person the doctor is. If it was an older Jewish man, make it a younger Hispanic, for instance. Change the medical specialty to one which would ordinarily require face-time during the appointment (as opposed to stirrups). Change the nature of the the doctor's injection of personal views into the appointment. Maybe instead of religious views, it's social, or political views at odds with the patient's. (Or not.) Seek a resolution that both works and is not just a disguise for you being vengeful.
Maybe what you wish you'd done, should have done, is tell your doctor you don't care to hear her religious views and consider her insertion of them highly unprofessional. But your character isn't you but a character you can make say and do things far more unexpected and satisfying. Maybe unknown to the doctor, he's a rabbi or imam. Or maybe she rants back with her own well-rehearsed religio-socio-political views. Or gets a handgun from her purse and tells him to shut the hell up. Or has an absolutely perfect shutter-upper, like seeing him with his male lover at the movies.

This could be both fun, a decent short play, and better than revenge, if you ask me.

Maryn, hoping this helps

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, well, do proceed. :D

It's funny how often doctors pass judgment. When I was 19 or maybe 20, my usual doctor was away and his fill-in was a creep who I shall call Dr. Pixley, because that was his name. I went in for a refill on my birth control pill and he proceeded to give me a lecture on how all young women were irresponsible whores and disease-ridden sluts. My mother was with me. Both of us sat there aghast.

A few years later, one of my best friends happened upon this same doctor. She was there for a pregnancy test confirmation. She was married with one child already. He proceeded to give her the same whore/slut lecture.

Fast forward about six months--give or take. I was at the movies with a different friend and who do we see? Dr. Pixley, with what was very clearly his very male date. I just shook my head and laughed.

Dr. Pixley...*snicker* sounds very apt.

Oh, I've had all sorts of whacko obgyns. Over the course of five pregnancies, I think I've gotten to sample a good variety of medically trained looney birds.

As I've said many times before: you would think people with stirrups and KY in the office for regular use would understand, somehow, that the trip is already enough of a pain without any off-the-wall lectures about morality, religion, or politics.

I mean, you're sitting there, dressed in the standard paper dress and paper blanket, discussing your most personal of personals...and somehow this is invitation to make the situation even MORE awkward and unpleasant?

Then, as I've come to realize, Catholic owned/operated hospitals can and, more often than not, do limit women's healthcare options regarding matters ranging from emergency contraceptives to removal of ectopic pregnancies and beyond.

Here's an old article on the topic:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1295/is_n1_v62/ai_20106600/

Again, it's old, but not inaccurate from what I know of two local RC-owned hospitals.

Luckily, there are other places within a reasonable drive, but, the thing running through my head is... what if there weren't? What happens when the RC hospital moves in and replaces the old secular institution and no alternative is nearby?

Oops...pardon...my feminista side is showing.

aadams73
01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
[And now, as a grown woman, you'd report Pixley to the AMA as fast as you can type, I hope.]

Now, as a grown woman, I'd give him so much grief he'd be sobbing in the corner begging for his mommy. Then I'd report him.

But I was young, stupid, and not living in this country at the time.

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM

I go to a lot of theatre, including short play readings. (Went to one Monday, in fact.) This idea could work, but like any play, it needs resolution. I would think that you might benefit from doing any of several things:

Change the type of person the doctor is. If it was an older Jewish man, make it a younger Hispanic, for instance.
Change the medical specialty to one which would ordinarily require face-time during the appointment (as opposed to stirrups).
Change the nature of the the doctor's injection of personal views into the appointment. Maybe instead of religious views, it's social, or political views at odds with the patient's. (Or not.)
Seek a resolution that both works and is not just a disguise for you being vengeful.
Maybe what you wish you'd done, should have done, is tell your doctor you don't care to hear her religious views and consider her insertion of them highly unprofessional. But your character isn't you but a character you can make say and do things far more unexpected and satisfying. Maybe unknown to the doctor, he's a rabbi or imam. Or maybe she rants back with her own well-rehearsed religio-socio-political views. Or gets a handgun from her purse and tells him to shut the hell up. Or has an absolutely perfect shutter-upper, like seeing him with his male lover at the movies.

This could be both fun, a decent short play, and better than revenge, if you ask me.

Maryn, hoping this helps

Thanks.

No, the doc, in this case, would have to stay RC and not switch religions--otherwise the scenario doesn't make sense and I wouldn't be able to cover the social ground I'm interested in. She could be a former nun, though, who went into medicine. This could be interesting. Or, the husband could be some sort of clergy or the wife could be a lawyer or a social science professor. Obgyns require face time, especially for a consult. The resolution would probably not involve an handgun, but a big reveal that the wife or husband is in a serious position to hand the doctor's ass to her on a platter...one that isn't apparent until the very end.

Ms Behaving
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I think you should go for it...you piqued my curiosity. Will you be posting any of your material on AW?

Don’t get me started on OB/GYNs… If you can find an ethical understanding one count yourself blessed! I have had a few over the past few decades and they ranged from condescending pompous father knows nothing type to the radical you have the right to choose as long as you choose what I think is best feminist type.

Maryn
01-15-2010, 11:29 PM
(And I thought my OB-Gyn was bad for ragging me about my weight gain during pregnancy! Sheesh.)

Maryn, who doesn't like her but finds her fully professional

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I think you should go for it...you piqued my curiosity. Will you be posting any of your material on AW?

Don’t get me started on OB/GYNs… If you can find an ethical understanding one count yourself blessed! I have had a few over the past few decades and they ranged from condescending pompous father knows nothing type to the radical you have the right to choose as long as you choose what I think is best feminist type.

Yeah, I think I will post some of it over at SYW. I've been working on to today and doing some extra research. This means setting my small pile of short stories aside for a minute, though, because this would have to be submitted within just a few short weeks. :scared:

Yes, that seems to be the range of experience I've had: annoying male know-it-alls ("silly female, I know your body better than you!") to annoying females ("either adopt my rabid secular or religious philosophy or I shall assault your ears til' they bleed").

It begs the question: Do any normal people go into the field of obstetrics?

Mela
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I haven't had either type of OBGYNs - know-it-alls or preachers - just people who don't seem to have a clue. About anything.
The play sounds like a good idea.

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 01:15 AM

Not me. LOL

Everyone of my hated foes shows up in my writing. It's nemesis confrontation 101 in all my stories. (and I always win.)

FWIW - my ob-gyn has never said anything rude.

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
PS - My previous (FWIW) post was a JOKE. (for all those dense ones out there, or those whose funny-bone was surgically removed in teh past)

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 01:18 AM
PSS - not to intimate that any of you are dense or anything. Far be it from me to cast aspersions upon our community of respected denizens.

DWSTXS
01-16-2010, 01:19 AM
PSSS - Please do not bother to correct me on the proper use of the word 'denizens'. I wasn't trying to be all high-falutin and throw out another 50 cent word there. It just slipped out.

scarletpeaches
01-16-2010, 01:25 AM

I doubt anyone would recognize the players. It might not be popular with die-hard Roman Catholics in the general vicinity, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.Sounds like you have an axe to grind with RCs. Maybe I'm wrong. But that's how it sounds.

And to say it's not necessarily a bad thing to cause offence? Well...aren't you just doing to them what one of their number did to you?

ad_lucem
01-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Sounds like you have an axe to grind with RCs. Maybe I'm wrong. But that's how it sounds.

And to say it's not necessarily a bad thing to cause offence? Well...aren't you just doing to them what one of their number did to you?

I won't mince words about what I think on the topic of RC policies regarding women's reproductive health: I think it's a load of crap.

And unless one of them crafted a written work based on the experience to ask a valid question about the matter then...no, I'm not doing the same thing at all.

The group CHW owns several hospitals in the area and their policies directly impact both nonRC and RC patients despite being recipients of public funding:

http://www.mergerwatch.org/

FWIW, I don't have a problem with RC people, in general, but I do have a problem with the hardliners who actively and openly hate homosexuals and push to end access to certain health services in the name of their religion.

ETA: I'm a former member of the ranks. So, it isn't just one of the group I've encountered over the years. I finally blew a gasket during the last election when the parish priest was demanding parishoners picket abortion clinics and gay marriage rights. Not only that, but they actually wheeled in a projector to show a special message from the bishop on why every good Catholic had a moral obligation to vote "to protect marriage from the gays".

That's the kind of stuff that should get tax-exempt status revoked--be the institution one religion or another... or none at all.