So Confused!

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this will come across as probably being very silly, but here it goes...

I've written children stories ever since I was in 6th grade. I used to just play around with stories and when an idea would pop in my head, I would write it down and go back to it every once in awhile and add more parts of a story to it.

Well, just recently I was remembering one of those stories. Here's the problem..I don't know if it was actually one of my ideas as a kid or if it was an actual book I read as a kid. I used to read about 100 books a year, so I could have easily confused it with that.

As I was thinking of the idea, I thought "hey, that's really good." But maybe it's good because it's already been published! So I did a search on google and got nothing. I did a search on Amazon because I know a lot of my favorite books as a child still appear and are still in circulation (i'm not THAT old!) And again, I came up with zilch.

Do you think it's safe to assume that the idea I'm thinking of is my own?

*sigh*

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's a plot you picked up from a book you once read, once you write it the end result will be very, very different from the original. So go for it! And if it's an idea and not a plot outline, even better. Lots of people get the same ideas, but it's what you do with the idea that makes it yours and unique.

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Saanen said:
Even if it's a plot you picked up from a book you once read, once you write it the end result will be very, very different from the original. So go for it! And if it's an idea and not a plot outline, even better. Lots of people get the same ideas, but it's what you do with the idea that makes it yours and unique.

Thank you. I was thinking that too, but the title I have and the main character's name (which is part of the title) is what I'm questioning. I don't remember the actual story, just the basic concept and the main character and title.

Niesta

Canada's sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Would you be willing to tell us the names? I've read a LOT (and have worked in both children's and antiquarian bookstores), and I imagine other folks have read a lot too, and we could tell you if they ring any bells. Although we'll certainly understand if you don't want to, too.

Gindee77

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should go for it. If you write it, it will be yours. After writing just a couple of short children's stories recently for assignments, I make so many changes as I go, even my original ideas end up totally different by the time I'm done with them. And I would imagine that even the best childrens authors get ideas from other children's books.

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Niesta said:
Would you be willing to tell us the names? I've read a LOT (and have worked in both children's and antiquarian bookstores), and I imagine other folks have read a lot too, and we could tell you if they ring any bells. Although we'll certainly understand if you don't want to, too.

I asked about this in another group too, hoping there was a greater chance of people recognizing the name, if it was a book. The name was Janie "Brainy" Jones. As someone pointed out, it's very close to the popular book series "Junie B. Jones", although if this was indeed just an idea of mine, it was 12 years ago or so when I thought of it, before Junie B. Jones was ever around.

Thanks for your help :)

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Even though you had the idea first, it's so very close to Junie B. Jones that you might think of changing Jones to something else--otherwise people might think you were trying to imitate Junie B. Jones. I like Janie "Brainy" though. How about just Janie Brainy? And I shelved children's books at a huge used book store for years and I don't recall ever seeing a book with anything like Janie Brainy; sounds like she's your creation!

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are remembering something you have read/seen elsewhere

I did a Google search on "Janie Brainy" and found this:

[font=&quot]http://www.scrapvillage.com/designingwithphotos.htm[/font]

[font=&quot]"Janie Brainy" by author Allison Tyler Jones is such a fun idea I think I may have to borrow it. Between the two chapters, there are 10 projects guaranteed to make you appreciate the way these artists enhance their photos.[/font]

There is also a Garbage Pail Kid named Janey Brainy

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Tish Davidson said:

[font=&quot]"Janie Brainy" by author Allison Tyler Jones is such a fun idea I think I may have to borrow it. Between the two chapters, there are 10 projects guaranteed to make you appreciate the way these artists enhance their photos.[/font]

I found the same thing when I did a google search, but when I did a google on that author and on amazon I didn't find anything at all. Same when I was looking for the character name.

The garbage pale kids use so many different names and I doubt they'd be popluar with the little kids. maybe i did see that name elsewhere as a kid...

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Saanen said:
Even though you had the idea first, it's so very close to Junie B. Jones that you might think of changing Jones to something else--otherwise people might think you were trying to imitate Junie B. Jones. I like Janie "Brainy" though. How about just Janie Brainy? And I shelved children's books at a huge used book store for years and I don't recall ever seeing a book with anything like Janie Brainy; sounds like she's your creation!

Thanks for the input. Exactly my thoughts. I do like the name without the "jones" in it, and it strays from the Junie B. Jones books as well.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Ruby said:
I found the same thing when I did a google search, but when I did a google on that author and on amazon I didn't find anything at all. Same when I was looking for the character name.

Could be the book went out of print before Amazon started listings, depending on how long ago you think you read it.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't list very far back, so that may not be so helpful. If it were me, I'd change things like the name and just write it. You'll probably find that as you're writing, you will add plenty more, because of your adult perspective. You could have a different rhyming name or add a different last name. Change the spelling - whatever!

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
Get the library involved: search their databanks and talk to librarians, especially the "old-timers"--those people know everything!:)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Janey Brainy is the sort of thing that sounds like it might have been done before, just because rhyming or alliterative names are all over children's literature like a cheap suit. Try Booksleuth on Abebooks.com to see if any of the regulars there remember the name. You should probably be OK.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Janie

Tish Davidson said:

Isn't the Garbage Pail kid "Brainy Janie?'

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Isn't the Garbage Pail kid "Brainy Janie?'

You, you're right. I think I like the sound of Janie Brainy better, though.