PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Footage

KTC
01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey all...I posted a couple of Youtube videos of my holiday.

This first one is of a Masai dance on the island of Lamu...off the coast of Kenya. I befriended a few of these Masai. They are all wonderful, caring, giving people. Had the time of my life getting to know some of them. Here's a dance they did for me and some friends one day:

LAMU MASAI DANCE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0o1eV65wg)

The footage does not do it justice. Their voices are magical...and the jewelry they wear create the instruments they dance to.

KTC
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
This is footage of a visit I made to an elephant orphanage on the outskirts of Nairobi, just inside the gates of the national park:

ELEPHANT ORPHANS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHr8m3uLNEs)

CACTUSWENDY
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the links. The babies were so neat and cute. I could see where you could spend all day just sitting and watching them.

regdog
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Fantastic video of the elephant babies.:)

I can't believe some :rant: jerk cut off that precious baby's tail and part of his ear.:cry:

StoryG27
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for those links, Kevin. The Masai chant was so rhythmical and moving, almost mesmerizing. And the baby elephants, absolutely adorable!!! I could watch them for hours, for days.

KTC
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Fantastic video of the elephant babies.:)

I can't believe some :rant: jerk cut off that precious baby's tail and part of his ear.:cry:

There's a description of what happened to that elephant on the footage. That elephant was fostered by a friend...which is why I originally went to the orphanage...to meet the elephant my friend back home had fostered. (-; That elephant was attacked by hyenas. He lost his tail and parts of his ears in the attack.

KTC
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for those links, Kevin. The Masai chant was so rhythmical and moving, almost mesmerizing. And the baby elephants, absolutely adorable!!! I could watch them for hours, for days.

You're welcome. I fell in love with that Masai chanting! I wish I had a better recording of it. When heard live, it really touches you deeply...it's SO magical. You can FEEL it.

KTC
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the links. The babies were so neat and cute. I could see where you could spend all day just sitting and watching them.

I know...and the orphanage is only open for 1 hour each day!!! The elephants are only there until they are ready to go back into the wild. They keep human interaction to a minimum...so that their transition back to the wild is not traumatic. But watching them play! Wow. They would climb up that hill of dirt and just roll down it...over and over. Just like children let loose in a sandbox. Beautiful to watch their joy!

For those interested in fostering an orphan:

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

regdog
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM
There's a description of what happened to that elephant on the footage. That elephant was fostered by a friend...which is why I originally went to the orphanage...to meet the elephant my friend back home had fostered. (-; That elephant was attacked by hyenas. He lost his tail and parts of his ears in the attack.

Oh, I thought the attendant said he had been attacked by poachers. Glad I miss heard, but still sorry he got hurt.

KTC
01-14-2010, 07:48 PM
There were some pretty heinous examples of human brutality too...we heard the story of each orphan. Most of them were there because of human brutality of one sort or another...mostly because their mother's fell victim and they were left orphaned. Some real sad stories indeed.