Is there any disadvantage in getting USA agent?

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the UK, and while there are plenty of agents in UK, there are far more of them in USA. I write fantasy, and again there are far more agents in USA who actually specialize in fantasy. So while I have not ruled out UK agents, I am wondering if there are any disadvantages to signing with a foreign agent?

Are there any UK writers here with US agents? If so, what made you go across the pond?

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I would get an agent in the country for the market you are trying to sell to, they will have the best contacts.

If your book appeals to US fantasy markets then you should find a US agent I believe.

Afterall, it doesn't matter where you live but what market your book is targeted for.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I live in the UK and have a US agent. He also represents the likes of Terry Pratchett. So, obviously, it's no problem at all. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I know several UK SF/F writers with US agents.
The only disadvantage - they are less likely to sell your book to a UK publishers so you won't see it on the shelves of Waterstones

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if they charge for phone calls (a few do) you'll be out a few pounds each year for the long distance charges. And of course you'll have to pay extra yourself when contacting them by phone, if you need to. Not much of a disadvantage, to be sure. Will try to think up something better ;-)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Even that isn't a disadvantage with Skype

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's always best to have an agent who routinely sells books to the giant publishers, wherever that agent lives.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
Waylander, yes thanks. I have seen the link.

I am just doing preliminary research, trying to figure out the best way forward. I think initially I might still start with UK agents, though must admit, haven't found great many that take fantasy/sci-fi seriously (I am only looking at AA approved, not anyone else).

At least UK agents do more deal with US agents than the other way around, so it sounds logical. But never know, might change my mind after more research.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
OP - one advantage of querying US agents over UK agents is that most nowadays accept electronic submissions. So instead of spending money on printing and posting all those cover letters, synopses and sample chapters and waiting several months for a response (if you get one at all), you can just send a query letter. Only downside is you need to spend a good bit of time getting your query letter in shape, it is a lot different to what you might send to a UK agent, but there is some great info here.