PDA

View Full Version : What's setting off the "Oh, bloody PUH-LEEZ!!" alarm?

JoeEkaitis
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Found it. (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html)

semilargeintestine
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Are you friggin' kidding me?

Adam
01-13-2010, 11:42 PM
*Headdesk*

BenPanced
01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I say we tell these people their Second Life accounts have been cancelled.

JoeEkaitis
01-13-2010, 11:47 PM
If they eat a weenie, would that be considered cannibalism?

CACTUSWENDY
01-13-2010, 11:47 PM
lmaoooooooooooooooooo

:poke: Sounds like some folks need a reality check.

Sweetleaf
01-13-2010, 11:48 PM
*Points. Laughs*
:roll:

Maybe they should pick up a book once in a while. :D

dgrintalis
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow. That's complete lunacy.

alleycat
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Couldn't we undepress them by sending them to see something like The Cat in the Hat with Mike Myers (maybe make them see it three or four times). They would be so happy just to leave the theater that their depression would be gone.

DeleyanLee
01-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Saw this yesterday. Just shook my head. The things people find to get depressed over nowadays.

I keep telling my daughter that she picked a good field when she majored in psychology. It's the next booming profession, I swear.

Gretad08
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
That's great...we now have all those people gathered on the same website.

Employers, family, and friends, beware these morons...now you have concrete proof that they're pitiful human beings.

aadams73
01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Some people will do anything to feel important, including faking "I haz a sad" over ridiculous crap.

Just...get out of the damn gene pool, already! Morons.

the addster
01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
*eye roll*

This isn't the end of it.

You know some idiot is going to get plastic surgery to look like Na'vi.

BenPanced
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
OH, for the luvva...

There's a YouTube video embedded in this Yahoo! page. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100112/en_huffpost/420605) You don't even have to click it to see the mess.

Hard news. Slopy edditign.

Gretad08
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
:roll:God I love idiots for the sheer entertainment value!

*eye roll*

This isn't the end of it.

Wayne K
01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
There should be grief counselors and lollipops at every showing

alleycat
01-14-2010, 12:17 AM
If they eat a weenie, would that be considered cannibalism?
Only if the weenie was attached to someone . . .

aadams73
01-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Please, don't give Jocelyn Wildenstein (http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/2008/03/16/the-best-photos-of-the-cat-lady-ever/) any more ideas...

ad_lucem
01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Shit like this should come with a warning label at the bottom of the screen that reads something like this...

CAUTION: SLOW NEWS DAY. VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

edit to add:

This was featured on Prime News, so, maybe that could just be a ticker at the bottom of the screen every day. They seem to specialize in missing white girls, celebrity deaths/sex-scandals/celebrity-death-and-sex-scandals, etc.

bettielee
01-14-2010, 11:53 AM
And now that this has hit the news, more people are going to jump on the I has a sad bandwagon.

Omg. I am not that big a loser after all.

LOG
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
This was already linked in the Avatar thread in movies.

sadron
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
:ROFL: :poke:

I'm not going to see Avatar, but my sister wants. Like no way.

spectrefox
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I have to say that I feel a little sympathetic to some of those that feel sad after watching the movie. Some, like me, had depression and an unhealthy dislike for humanity (as in, homo sapiens) before even seeing the movie. Pandora was a dream world, one I wish I could go to (and hopefully not get eaten...). The Na'Vi people were absolutely beautiful and rich in culture.

There's the idea of the avatar itself. I've often wished for a new body, over and over. The idea is extremely appealing to many people.

I also sympathize with the poster in the article that spoke about suicide. It's the little things that can drive someone over the edge. The feeling has happened before after many movies, for me at least.

Please don't judge them by the fact they wished they were somewhere else, wanted to be someone else, to live in another time. :). Cameron managed to pull emotion from a lot of moviegoers.

Lauretta
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I had no interest before, but now I really want to go to see it.

kayleamay
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I saw Avatar last week. It's worth seeing for the eye candy if nothing else. My son wanted to see it and I was really tired (and didn't really want to go) so I thought I would catch a nap while he watched it. It was more engrossing than I expected it to be. I dreamt in technicolor that night.

I'm wondering if the majority of these "depressed" individuals are part of the magical thinking generation? The age group who roll-play their lives online rather than get out there and actually live it?

ETA: On a similar note, we had this very discussion at work the other night (it started with the Avatar discussion and morphed into the topic of coping skills). One of the doctors brought it up. So, I asked, "What do you think will happen when there are more people out there who can't cope than those who can?." He answered, "There already are."

lucidzfl
01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I really, really, really hate people. I hate the SHIT out of people.

LOG
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm wondering if the majority of these "depressed" individuals are part of the magical thinking generation? The age group who roll-play their lives online rather than get out there and actually live it?

*sigh*
PLease don't believe that stereotype.
I'm a role-player from time to time, and I know quite a few other people who are as well. We are not all a bunch of people who live in our mothers basement and play dress-up.
That is a grossly mistaken image that the media has decided to slant us with.
Only a minor minority of role-players actually act like that.
Role-playing online is actually healthier IMO.

kayleamay
01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
*sigh*
PLease don't believe that stereotype.
I'm a role-player from time to time, and I know quite a few other people who are as well. We are not all a bunch of people who live in our mothers basement and play dress-up.
That is a grossly mistaken image that the media has decided to slant us with.
Only a minor minority of role-players actually act like that.
Role-playing online is actually healthier IMO.

I'm not stereotyping, because I don't think that all role-players are inclined to magical thinking. I do, however, see a number of them in the behavioral unit in the ER on a fairly regular basis. Some get so wrapped up in it that they seem to start confusing it with reality, or rejecting reality altogether.

ad_lucem
01-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not stereotyping, because I don't think that all role-players are inclined to magical thinking. I do, however, see a number of them in the behavioral unit in the ER on a fairly regular basis. Some get so wrapped up in it that they seem to start confusing it with reality, or rejecting reality altogether.

OT but I've got to say it: Who wouldn't want to reject reality? It pretty well sucks most of the time.

That reminds me, have I introduced you all to my friend, Harvey? Don't let the long ears and whiskers fool you, he's quite a guy!

kayleamay
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
OT but I've got to say it: Who wouldn't want to reject reality? It pretty well sucks most of the time.

That reminds me, have I introduced you all to my friend, Harvey? Don't let the long ears and whiskers fool you, he's quite a guy!

Yes, I've met Havey. He's a fine rabbit, indeed. I have no problem with role-playing, or escapist fantasy, or any of that.

My point is not that role-playing is bad, or that escapism in small doses is bad, but there are some who take things too far. Reality is what it is. REAL. Playing WOW for 14 hours a day isn't going to pay the bills, it isn't going to improve your relationships and it really doesn't contribute anything tangible to anyone.

You asked who wouldn't want to reject reality. I wouldn't. I would rather work at improving mine than replace it with something imaginary.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
You asked who wouldn't want to reject reality. I wouldn't. I would rather work at improving mine than replace it with something imaginary.

One million percent.

BenPanced
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Same here. Just think of the huge disadvantage you'd be at if you were suddenly dropped into the "reality" of Avatar or The Sims 3, or even something historical such as Gladiator. I'd rather stumble through this life and learn the rules it has than have to learn the rules of a whole new one, thanks.

Adam
01-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd like to walk the line between the two, ta. ;)

brainstorm77
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Hilarious.

brainstorm77
01-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Agreed! And it's sad.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Agreed! And it's sad.

I had a friend in high school who was discharged from the Navy because of magical thinking.

MaryMumsy
01-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Shit like this should come with a warning label at the bottom of the screen that reads something like this...

CAUTION: SLOW NEWS DAY. VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

edit to add:

This was featured on Prime News, so, maybe that could just be a ticker at the bottom of the screen every day. They seem to specialize in missing white girls, celebrity deaths/sex-scandals/celebrity-death-and-sex-scandals, etc.

derail/ when did HLN become the enquirer of the air? I used to be able to tune in briefly to see if the world was coming to an end. Now it's like ad said, between prime news, Nancy Grace, whatshername (and that's my issue), the one hour celebrity show, there is no real news on that channel anymore.
end derail/

MM

Matera the Mad
01-15-2010, 07:26 AM
All I know is that I wouldn't go all woopsy about a bunch of blue anorexics riding rubber geese around big trees. But then I don't have binocular vision, and I'm hard to fool.

ad_lucem
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes, I've met Havey. He's a fine rabbit, indeed. I have no problem with role-playing, or escapist fantasy, or any of that.

My point is not that role-playing is bad, or that escapism in small doses is bad, but there are some who take things too far. Reality is what it is. REAL. Playing WOW for 14 hours a day isn't going to pay the bills, it isn't going to improve your relationships and it really doesn't contribute anything tangible to anyone.

Don't do role-playing... so I honestly have no idea. When you say role-playing I think of those lame card games about vampires or "magick". I need to update my prejudices against such things for a new millennium. (To illustrate how behind the times I am: it took a while before I realized people saying they were really into WOW weren't talking about being enthusiastic or prone to shouting out the interjection on a regular basis.)

Really, it was just a tongue in cheek remark from a person having a really lousy week thanks to a combination of hormones, health issues, and unpleasant/unsatisfying interpersonal interactions.

Just a rhetorical, "Gawd, wouldn't you just like take a big dose of fukitol and forget this whole thing?" Not meant to be taken literally.