What's setting off the "Oh, bloody PUH-LEEZ!!" alarm?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
lmaoooooooooooooooooo

:poke: Sounds like some folks need a reality check.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't we undepress them by sending them to see something like The Cat in the Hat with Mike Myers (maybe make them see it three or four times). They would be so happy just to leave the theater that their depression would be gone.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday. Just shook my head. The things people find to get depressed over nowadays.

I keep telling my daughter that she picked a good field when she majored in psychology. It's the next booming profession, I swear.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
That's great...we now have all those people gathered on the same website.

Employers, family, and friends, beware these morons...now you have concrete proof that they're pitiful human beings.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Some people will do anything to feel important, including faking "I haz a sad" over ridiculous crap.

Just...get out of the damn gene pool, already! Morons.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
There should be grief counselors and lollipops at every showing

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Shit like this should come with a warning label at the bottom of the screen that reads something like this...

CAUTION: SLOW NEWS DAY. VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

edit to add:

This was featured on Prime News, so, maybe that could just be a ticker at the bottom of the screen every day. They seem to specialize in missing white girls, celebrity deaths/sex-scandals/celebrity-death-and-sex-scandals, etc.

Last edited:

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: :poke:

I'm not going to see Avatar, but my sister wants. Like no way.

spectrefox

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that I feel a little sympathetic to some of those that feel sad after watching the movie. Some, like me, had depression and an unhealthy dislike for humanity (as in, homo sapiens) before even seeing the movie. Pandora was a dream world, one I wish I could go to (and hopefully not get eaten...). The Na'Vi people were absolutely beautiful and rich in culture.

There's the idea of the avatar itself. I've often wished for a new body, over and over. The idea is extremely appealing to many people.

I also sympathize with the poster in the article that spoke about suicide. It's the little things that can drive someone over the edge. The feeling has happened before after many movies, for me at least.

Please don't judge them by the fact they wished they were somewhere else, wanted to be someone else, to live in another time. :). Cameron managed to pull emotion from a lot of moviegoers.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Avatar last week. It's worth seeing for the eye candy if nothing else. My son wanted to see it and I was really tired (and didn't really want to go) so I thought I would catch a nap while he watched it. It was more engrossing than I expected it to be. I dreamt in technicolor that night.

I'm wondering if the majority of these "depressed" individuals are part of the magical thinking generation? The age group who roll-play their lives online rather than get out there and actually live it?

ETA: On a similar note, we had this very discussion at work the other night (it started with the Avatar discussion and morphed into the topic of coping skills). One of the doctors brought it up. So, I asked, "What do you think will happen when there are more people out there who can't cope than those who can?." He answered, "There already are."

Last edited: