PDA

View Full Version : I haven't vented in a while: company sent me the wrong product

Mela
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I haven't used my exercise bike since November. The right pedal fell off - the little piece that fits through the crank and fitting and is then fastened with a washer was stripped smoothe of its teeth so the washer no longer held it on. The bike's only 4 years old.

I emailed the manufacturer to send me a replacement pedal - it was cheap enough: $14.49. Pedal comes. Doesn't fit. My pedal is tapered and thinner. Their pedal is wider so it can't even fit in the crank hole to be fastened.

I email them about the problem: Sorry, they say, these are the only pedals we have.

I email them pictures of the two pedals side by side - clearly there's a difference.

Their reply: We think when the teeth stripped away on the damaged pedal it also damaged the crank. That's why the replacement pedal won't fit.

My reply: You're telling me that when the metal began to fray the threads somehow welded or became embedded in the crank's opening, thereby narrowing the opening?

So by that logic, I should be able to fit the new pedal into the hole in the left crank, since that wasn't damaged, right? Well, guess what?

Now I have to spend upwards of $150 on a new bike for one lousy pedal.

Anyone ever been so frustrated with a company?

darkprincealain
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
:Hug2:

Not in a long, long time, but I can say I have heard of the reverse happening. I am a big fan of the Persona series of video games, and a friend on another board ordered Persona 3. As some may know, an expansion called Persona 3: FES contains very helpful additions, as well as the original game in its entirety.

The people he ordered from sent him Persona 3: FES and he thought it was a mistake. Everyone rushed in to assure him to keep what they sent him, it was a good thing, and how to play the original part first. :)

Ms Behaving
01-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Before you spend $150 or more for a new bike, why don't you try a sporting goods store. They might have a pedal that would fit your bike.

The right pedal fell off - the little piece that fits through the crank and fitting and is then fastened with a washer was stripped smoothe of its teeth so the washer no longer held it on

Or maybe someone at a hardware store could find a way to attach the broken pedal to your bike with some sort of bolt/washer/nut type thingy.

aadams73
01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm always bugged when a company won't do the right thing.

A year or so back I reordered contact lenses from 1800contacts. The lenses arrived and guess what? Not my prescription. I double-checked my order online. Yup, I'd filled it out correctly. Their screw-up.

Not a big deal until I contacted them to fix their mistake.

They expected me to pay for shipping, both to send the incorrect lenses back and for them to send out the correct prescription. Riiiiight. I sent them back and told them I'd do business somewhere else, thank you very much.

I don't mind paying if I messed up, or if I want to return something willy-nilly, but I won't pay for someone else's mistake.

ETA: if you haven't bought a replacement yet, try Nordic Track. Their customer service is excellent.