PDA

View Full Version : Aww crap

sheadakota
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Most of you guys know I have horses- 5 to be exact- one who just turned 35 years old-

So everyday I go out to feed my guys I am grateful for just one more day with him- So I go out today, and no- the old guy is just fine- nickering at me to be fed- so I go to feed my other two big horses in the next pasture, and the first thing I see is the blood in the snow- okay- I don't panick- anyone who has had horses has seen some blood- so I start to check them both for injuries-nope don't see anything and then I bend down and holy Crap! My 13 year old gelding's sheath (the covering over his penis) is HUGE! It swolllen probably about three times it's size! Okay- never saw THAT before- but when i combine it with the blood I saw in the snow I am thinking this can't be good- Bladder infection? Kidney infecton/failure? I know a swollen sheath can mean congestive heart failure in horses, but the blood makes me think this is not the problem-

This is the same guy we almost lost last summer to a protazoa infection in his brain (he recovered completely)

I swear I can't go one complete year without something going on with my critters! The vet is coming to take a look at him later today- so think good thoughts (and warm ones- I do NOT have a heated barn brrrrrr)

His name is Dakota and I saw him born- I was the first person to touch him, ride him, he is my baby- I iz worried-

auntybug
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Sending hugs your way. My Paint is my baby as well.

You have my jaw dropping at him being 35 - I have never known a horse to get that old! You are very fortunate.

Wicked
01-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh wow. Hope it's just a simple problem they can clear up with some antibiotics. Poor guy.

My old girl was 33 when she passed away, two Christmas's ago. :( My other horses are getting fat and lazy. I haven't felt like riding since.

Glad your old one is still spry, and happy to greet you in the morning. :)
Sending good wishes your way.

Jersey Chick
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I always wanted horses... I loves them.

Sending good vibes and thoughts your way! {{{HUGS}}}

sadron
01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Aw my thoughts are with you! I hope everything turns alright. *hugz*

CaroGirl
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh dear! I love horses and can completely understand your bond with them. I hope the vet can diagnose the trouble with your gelding and clear it up quickly and easily.

Good luck!!

sheadakota
01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys- I'll let you know what the vet says- hopefully its nothing and I'm just being an over-cautious mom-

Wayne K
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I hope he's okay.

Then I can make a "Why still the long face?" joke.

regdog
01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Hope he's okay:Hug2:

bclement412
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Hope he's okay! I have a seven year old thoroughbred, and I love him to death. He's one of the sweetest horses you'll ever meet. And he's a crazy-talented jumper. :)

bettielee
01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Wishing you luck! I love horses!

Let us know!

Ambrosia
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I hope whatever is wrong with him is easily fixed. Sending good thoughts your way...

sheadakota
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
okay- vet was just here and for once I got good news- Dakota has an infected sheath and a urinary tract infection- a round of antibiotics should set him right in no time-

Considering everything the poor guy has been through in the last year- this is a piece of cake- whew!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and warm thoughts!

Ok Wayne you may now commence with the horse jokes:tongue

BenPanced
01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Why did the pony gargle with warm salt water?

Because he was a little horse.

EFCollins
01-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm scared to death of horses, but I hope your friend recovers (even from just a urinary infection). Sending good thoughts your way.

Gretad08
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
For the record...I'm an idiot.

I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"

Anway, I hope your baby's okay. Good luck!

sheadakota
01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
For the record...I'm an idiot.

I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"

Anway, I hope your baby's okay. Good luck!
LOL- a sure sign you've been online to long! But yeah I can see how you thought that! And thanks!

Silver King
01-14-2010, 05:31 AM
...I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"
I thought the same thing also, so I'm going to add an extra "w" to the "Aw" in this thread title to avoid confusing anyone else.

Judg
01-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Glad it's something fixable.

Judg who dreamed of having a horse, but never had a chance.

Matera the Mad
01-14-2010, 06:32 AM
The extra wubbleyou works great.

Poor Dakota. I hope it doesn't hurt when he pees. :(

Silver King
01-14-2010, 06:56 AM
...Poor Dakota. I hope it doesn't hurt when he pees. :(
I'm not a horse, nor hung like one, but you can believe it hurts when he takes a leak. Similar infections that affect humans are painful beyond description.

Fenika
01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Yay, I'm glad it's nothing serious and I hope he recovers quick.

I think it's good mojo when a single horse goes more than 6 months without an issue. They are programed to hurt themselves!

And while painful, horses are mostly tough little bastards :)

Wayne K
01-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Great news!

Wayne K
01-14-2010, 07:17 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZObS_8t0mY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZObS_8t0mY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wayne K
01-14-2010, 07:19 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/quU6Yb9k0qo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/quU6Yb9k0qo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

kaitie
01-14-2010, 09:12 AM
*hugs* I'm glad everything turned out okay. :)

sadron
01-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Glad to hear he's going to okey soon. :)

sheadakota
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I feel like such a bad Mom- you are supposed to clean their sheath and make them drop so you can clean umm- well you know but damn its been so cold I haven't done that in months but the vet says because of the EPM he had last summer ( the protozoa encephalitis) his immune system was comprimised and that leaves him vulnerable to infections- but the poor guy- Horses are pretty stoic though- last year he also suffered a severe leg injury - his pasture mate kick him and ended up severing his extensor tendon- he had to be in agony but he still limped over to me to nuzzle and give me a kiss-

The vet had her hand up side his sheath half way up her arm and he just stood there- (god-Wayne and ben are going to have a feild day with THAT!)
Hopefully the swelling will be down today.

On the upside- my new WIP has a vet in it and I needed to know about specific drugs they carry with them- so I got to interview her! She was great gave me a blow by blow of what drugs she would use to get the job done-

regdog
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Hope he continues to improve and makes a complete recovery

Brutal Mustang
01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Glad it's nothing too bad!

Fenika
01-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Well, yes and no to the regular sheath cleaning- It's debated among vets. HOWEVER, in this situation, I think 'erring' on the side of cleaning is prudent. So don't feel too bad. Horses got by without them for a long period of history :) (Imagines a war general demonstrating to his soldiers how to clean a sheath)

And if you have any more questions about vet trucks, I can try and answer them.

bclement412
01-15-2010, 05:42 AM
My horse has his sheath clean once a year, and he's been completely fine so far.

sheadakota
01-15-2010, 06:12 AM
oh- thank you! I don't feel quite so bad now! Are you a vet fenika?

Matera the Mad
01-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Feelthy horse peekchures in our heads :D

Fenika
01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Vet student, trying to survive it all...

sheadakota
01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Good Luck! My daughter wants to be a vet (she's just 11:))

Pepper
01-15-2010, 03:32 PM
a blow by blow

Given the general context of the thread, I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA LA LAAAAA

I'm glad your horsie is on the mend, though! They can have awesome little personalities, those creatures. But it sounds like...... um....... I might pass on the little-girl dream of getting my own horsie on account of what you have to do to look after the guys! O_O