Aww crap

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Most of you guys know I have horses- 5 to be exact- one who just turned 35 years old-

So everyday I go out to feed my guys I am grateful for just one more day with him- So I go out today, and no- the old guy is just fine- nickering at me to be fed- so I go to feed my other two big horses in the next pasture, and the first thing I see is the blood in the snow- okay- I don't panick- anyone who has had horses has seen some blood- so I start to check them both for injuries-nope don't see anything and then I bend down and holy Crap! My 13 year old gelding's sheath (the covering over his penis) is HUGE! It swolllen probably about three times it's size! Okay- never saw THAT before- but when i combine it with the blood I saw in the snow I am thinking this can't be good- Bladder infection? Kidney infecton/failure? I know a swollen sheath can mean congestive heart failure in horses, but the blood makes me think this is not the problem-

This is the same guy we almost lost last summer to a protazoa infection in his brain (he recovered completely)

I swear I can't go one complete year without something going on with my critters! The vet is coming to take a look at him later today- so think good thoughts (and warm ones- I do NOT have a heated barn brrrrrr)

His name is Dakota and I saw him born- I was the first person to touch him, ride him, he is my baby- I iz worried-

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. Hope it's just a simple problem they can clear up with some antibiotics. Poor guy.

My old girl was 33 when she passed away, two Christmas's ago. :( My other horses are getting fat and lazy. I haven't felt like riding since.

Glad your old one is still spry, and happy to greet you in the morning. :)
Sending good wishes your way.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Aw my thoughts are with you! I hope everything turns alright. *hugz*

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear! I love horses and can completely understand your bond with them. I hope the vet can diagnose the trouble with your gelding and clear it up quickly and easily.

Good luck!!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys- I'll let you know what the vet says- hopefully its nothing and I'm just being an over-cautious mom-

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I hope he's okay.

Then I can make a "Why still the long face?" joke.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope he's okay:Hug2:

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Hope he's okay! I have a seven year old thoroughbred, and I love him to death. He's one of the sweetest horses you'll ever meet. And he's a crazy-talented jumper. :)

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
okay- vet was just here and for once I got good news- Dakota has an infected sheath and a urinary tract infection- a round of antibiotics should set him right in no time-

Considering everything the poor guy has been through in the last year- this is a piece of cake- whew!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and warm thoughts!

Ok Wayne you may now commence with the horse jokes:tongue

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
For the record...I'm an idiot.

I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"

Anway, I hope your baby's okay. Good luck!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
For the record...I'm an idiot.

I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"

Anway, I hope your baby's okay. Good luck!
LOL- a sure sign you've been online to long! But yeah I can see how you thought that! And thanks!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I thought the 'Aw' in your thread title meant absolutewrite, and I thought, "Hmmm, what does absolutewrite crap mean? Is she mad at the site or something?"
I thought the same thing also, so I'm going to add an extra "w" to the "Aw" in this thread title to avoid confusing anyone else.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I'm glad it's nothing serious and I hope he recovers quick.

I think it's good mojo when a single horse goes more than 6 months without an issue. They are programed to hurt themselves!

And while painful, horses are mostly tough little bastards :)