PDA

View Full Version : Would you accept immortality?

LOG
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
If there was a method to immortality, available to the common person, with no strings attached, and no ill side-effects, would you take it?

Myself, I'm unsure. Some days I feel like I would, other days, not so much...

AryaT92
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Could you never die, even with suicide?

Zoombie
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes.

AryaT92
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
The answer really depends on my life, if I was successful and happy then why wouldn't I want to live forever? However, if I was upset then why would I want to drag it out?

LOG
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
The answer really depends on my life, if I was successful and happy then why wouldn't I want to live forever? However, if I was upset then why would I want to drag it out?
Because only the living can change. (Theoretically)

For the sake of the thread, let's say longevity, but not invulnerability.

AryaT92
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I would take immortality if I didn't grow old physically and suffer those challenges..

I would take longevity because even if sometimes death seems like a pretty ok alternative, those feelings usually fade and there is so much life to live.

Art_Sempai
01-13-2010, 10:54 AM
HELL YEAH!

If it's available to the common person everyone will want it too lol.
I wouldn't stay in the same place and go emo like some characters.

Art_Sempai
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Screw longevity I want the real deal.

Because only the living can change. (Theoretically)

For the sake of the thread, let's say longevity, but not invulnerability.

AryaT92
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Be careful what you wish for sempai!

Maxinquaye
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Would you wish to see the sun die, the earth wither to hot dust in the solar wind, empires rise and fall again, where children mean nothing because no one dies, and where all that remains in the end is the neverending march through eternity?

That's immortality. I think we'd all try to end it long, long before and then the answer becomes 'no'. But I wouldn't mind a couple of hundred years more.

Albedo
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Hell yeah, I'd take it, with the conditions it's theoretically reversible, and that you halt the aging process as well. I wouldn't want to be 900 years old and look it.

AryaT92
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Wait this is for just me right, not for everyone -.-.

Art_Sempai
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Always have an escape plan.

Immortals always wined up trapped in a void, encased in gold or some BS for story sake.

I'd see the universe then travel around the multiverse.
I'd also do some time traveling like the Doctor.

You need to support the power with other items and powers.
Just immortality would suck after a few thousand years on earth.

Be careful what you wish for sempai!

Dommo
01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I would. I'd love to be able to experience time in a geological sense. To see forests grow from seedlings, to see mountains rise and fall, to learn about whatever strikes my fancy, to be able to travel the universe because a 100 year trip isn't a big deal. I mean the possibilities are almost limitless.

I'd also appreciate my mortality just as much. Even if I was immortal biologically it doesn't mean I'm truly immortal in the physical sense. At some point we'd all buy the farm, and statistically speaking if things were about as dangerous as they are now, I doubt many of us would reach more than thousand years of age before we slipped in a bathtub or something.

But I think the thing I'd like the most is that people wouldn't be so impulsive anymore. When you've got a good 800 years left of living(statistically speaking), it's hard to justify thinking in the short term.

nighttimer
01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Depends. Do we finally get the flying cars?

Live forever so I can watch the people I love wither away and die? So I can bury my own children? So I can become as much an anachronism as 8-track tape and Davy Crockett hats?

Thank you, no. I'm in no hurry to toddle off just yet, but living forever while everything I love dies doesn't seem like all that great of a deal.

Romantic Heretic
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
No. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8-FTvSVxs)

DeleyanLee
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Nope. Not interested. Thanks anyway.

kaitie
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Forever? I don't think I'd want forever. Maybe a few hundred years. Maybe even a few thousand. But forever? Would I be outlasting human civilization? Or perhaps humanity survives long enough to evolve and I'm the only one left "stuck" in the past (whoa...that could make a NEAT story!)? Do I actually live long enough to see the sun swallow up the Earth?

There are lots of things I'd want to do, but I wouldn't want to live forever. That's partly because I have a theory that the longer you live, the less "human" you'd be. You'd have to become less attached to deal with the loss, I think.

cray
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM

how about this,....
i'll lock you in a room with haggis for 24 hours.
it won't actually be an eternity but it will certainly feel like one!
and then you can make up your mind.

:D

Alpha Echo
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Thank you, no. I'm in no hurry to toddle off just yet, but living forever while everything I love dies doesn't seem like all that great of a deal.

I agree. I want to live for a good long time, but I don't want to live forever. Besides, I'm one of those crazy Christians who believes after I die, I'm going to heaven. That doesn't make me want to rush death, but I certainly don't want to keep putting off heaven.

johnnysannie
01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
If you believe in reincarnation, then we live forever anyway, just in a series of different lives and different bodies.

Our souls are immortal anyway.

billythrilly7th
01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Is there an opt out clause?

charlotte49ers
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Death scares me, but I'm a believer so I have faith I'm going to heaven, so no. I would like to live longer than the average lifespan, though. :-)

quickWit
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not even sure I want to live past next week.

cray
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm not even sure I want to live past next week.

ok.
what's your address?

CaroGirl
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
No. I bet a lot of the people who would take it would be people I wouldn't want to spend eternity with.

aadams73
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Uh, no. Not for all the tea in China. And I really like tea.

KellyAssauer
01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
So screw altruism? Never mind the idea of perhaps learning every language? Of becoming disciplined in all the sciences? Of perhaps being the one that cures cancer or gets mankind into space, or sees to the downfall of the capitolistic oligarchy? Nevermind wisdom and helping all of human kind, unless of course you can look fabulous doing it? Hmmm, if I had to answer the question I'd want a caveat that allowed me to pick and choose exactly who was first up against the wall when the revolution comes...
since I've already started a list...
=)

quickWit
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
So screw altruism? Never mind the idea of perhaps learning every language? Of becoming disciplined in all the sciences? Of perhaps being the one that cures cancer or gets mankind into space, or sees to the downfall of the capitolistic oligarchy? Nevermind wisdom and helping all of human kind, unless of course you can look fabulous doing it? Hmmm, if I had to answer the question I'd want a caveat that allowed me to pick and choose exactly who was first up against the wall when the revolution comes...
=)

I think you're confusing intelligence with wisdom.

Pfft! Stoopit kids. :)

KellyAssauer
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I think you're confusing intelligence with wisdom.Pfft! Stoopit kids. :)

And now I know you're intelligent enough to point that out...

Silent Rob
01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
And now I know you're intelligent enough to point that out...I'm going to kill you.

You left the end part off.

KellyAssauer
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
You left the end part off.

Did you See that?
Even the muppet understands immortality...

aadams73
01-13-2010, 08:19 PM
=)

Would I want to explore this whole planet? Absolutely.
Would I want to soak up all the knowledge I can and put it to some kind of positive use? Definitely.

But the downside would be to watch those for whom I care live and eventually die, and that would nullify any joy those other things might bring.

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Absolutely not. Mortality puts things into perspective. Without it, we'd probably be a much nastier race than we are.

I'm okay with dying but would prefer it to happen before the plumbing is shot and my brain is jell-o and after my kids are raised.

quickWit
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm okay with dying but would prefer it to happen before the plumbing is shot and my brain is jell-o and after my kids are raised.

Well, 1 out of 3 isn't too bad, right?

semilargeintestine
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
It will never happen, and it shouldn't. That would be a terrible idea. The world is already massively overpopulated, and eliminating the death rate would basically completely screw us.

Plus, who wants to be around when the sun explodes?

Adam
01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Provided I could end it myself when I got bored, sure. ;)

ad_lucem
01-13-2010, 09:13 PM
If there was a method to immortality, available to the common person, with no strings attached, and no ill side-effects, would you take it?

No, no, and hell no. Life is long enough as-is.

Immortality with no ill side-effects? Wouldn't immortality, in itself, be an ill side-effect?

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 02:05 AM
It will never happen, and it shouldn't. That would be a terrible idea. The world is already massively overpopulated, and eliminating the death rate would basically completely screw us.

Who would stick around for that!?
Four billion years from now there better be star ships.

Heck, I should write a story called "How to Handle Immortality".

AnonymousWriter
01-14-2010, 02:10 AM
No way.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Who would stick around for that!?
Four billion years from now there better be star ships.

Heck, I should write a story called "How to Handle Immortality".

Well, the world won't be around in four billion years anyway, but if it was, I highly doubt we'd be outside the solar system. They've yet to find an Earth-like planet anywhere in our observable universe, and I doubt they will send people on a journey that takes 20 years to go to a place that's barely inhabitable. We have to be realistic. That's not happening.

LOG
01-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Would you wish to see the sun die, the earth wither to hot dust in the solar wind, empires rise and fall again, where children mean nothing because no one dies, and where all that remains in the end is the neverending march through eternity?

That's immortality. I think we'd all try to end it long, long before and then the answer becomes 'no'. But I wouldn't mind a couple of hundred years more.

There are lots of things I'd want to do, but I wouldn't want to live forever. That's partly because I have a theory that the longer you live, the less "human" you'd be. You'd have to become less attached to deal with the loss, I think.

Absolutely not. Mortality puts things into perspective. Without it, we'd probably be a much nastier race than we are.

Problem is, we don't what immortality is like, any effects it may or may not have are completely unknown. We only got theory.
I am personally of the opinion that it wouldn't make the world any worse than it already is.

Depends. Do we finally get the flying cars?

Live forever so I can watch the people I love wither away and die? So I can bury my own children? So I can become as much an anachronism as 8-track tape and Davy Crockett hats?

But the downside would be to watch those for whom I care live and eventually die, and that would nullify any joy those other things might bring.
The offer (theoretically) is available to everyone, so your family and everyone you know could potentially become immortal as well.

Maybe immortality has already been discovered, and it's just being kept away from us until we develop the ability to colonize space? 0.o

No, no, and hell no. Life is long enough as-is.

Immortality with no ill side-effects? Wouldn't immortality, in itself, be an ill side-effect?
Depends who you ask.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Maybe immortality has already been discovered, and it's just being kept away from us until we develop the ability to colonize space? 0.o

Don't count on it.

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Well, the world won't be around in four billion years anyway, but if it was, I highly doubt we'd be outside the solar system. They've yet to find an Earth-like planet anywhere in our observable universe, and I doubt they will send people on a journey that takes 20 years to go to a place that's barely inhabitable. We have to be realistic. That's not happening.

Forget we, I'm talking bout me lol.

I'd be long gone in my personal ship.
Time wouldn't matter to me.
A twenty year in flight nap big deal.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 03:13 AM
If you want to spend the next four billion years designing and building your own ship and setting up a way for you to launch yourself to some remote, uninhabitable planet with no way to survive, be my guest. Send a postcard. :D

Sophia
01-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Well, the world won't be around in four billion years anyway, but if it was, I highly doubt we'd be outside the solar system. They've yet to find an Earth-like planet anywhere in our observable universe, and I doubt they will send people on a journey that takes 20 years to go to a place that's barely inhabitable.

What about generation ships, colony ships carrying robots with all the equipment to set up survival domes in any environment that would be ready for the generation ships, new forms of energy harness that allow ships to be capable of travelling at near-light speeds -- any of dozens of ideas for space colonization explored in science fiction stories?

I find the idea incredible that humanity won't have spread among the stars in four billion years' time! I know it's just opinions. I'm just saying I don't share yours; that it seems a blinkered view of humankind's ambition and drive, and is, well, utterly alien to me. And there is no offence intended - I'm speaking out of passion for the subject and I hope you'll excuse my tone.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 03:27 AM
What about generation ships, colony ships carrying robots with all the equipment to set up survival domes in any environment that would be ready for the generation ships, new forms of energy harness that allow ships to be capable of travelling at near-light speeds -- any of dozens of ideas for space colonization explored in science fiction stories?

Incredibly impractical and very, very expensive. No government is going to pay for that.

I find the idea incredible that humanity won't have spread among the stars in four billion years' time! I know it's just opinions. I'm just saying I don't share yours; that it seems a blinkered view of humankind's ambition and drive, and is, well, utterly alien to me. And there is no offence intended - I'm speaking out of passion for the subject and I hope you'll excuse my tone.

I am very passionate about space exploration. Before I became religious, I wanted to be an astronaut--and I don't mean the way a kid does, I was a math and physics major with plans to attempt a PhD and apply to NASA. I'm just realistic. No government will be able or willing to pay the kind of money it would take to even get a project like that off the ground (no pun intended), let alone into space and outside the solar system.

But that's assuming we're even still around in four billion years. I don't think we will.

Adam
01-14-2010, 03:30 AM
But that's assuming we're even still around in four billion years. I don't think we will.

I will be. Just waiting for LOG to bestow my immortality.

*Taps foot.*

(Actually, I doubt I'd get past 300-350 before getting bored.)

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I will be. Just waiting for LOG to bestow my immortality.

*Taps foot.*

(Actually, I doubt I'd get past 300-350 before getting bored.)

Apparently, M'sushelach lived 969 years. Talk about boring.

Adam
01-14-2010, 03:33 AM
:eek:

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 03:52 AM
I doubt it would take that long even if I started from scratch.

It's $200,000 to $20 million for a ride into space now.
After a few centuries you should have big money backing you if your smart.
I'd get enough wealth and power to have what I need built.

I'd leave the postcard on your grave btw.

Oh, if I learn magic or get psychic powers along the way I might not need the ship to travel.

If you want to spend the next four billion years designing and building your own ship and setting up a way for you to launch yourself to some remote, uninhabitable planet with no way to survive, be my guest. Send a postcard. :D

LOG
01-14-2010, 03:56 AM
You think that in four billion years that it is completely outside the realm of possibility we will have developed a means of safely travelling into outer space at a sustainable cost?
We've only been around as humans for a few thousand years, and we've made huge leaps and bounds just from the dark ages.
We're already planning vacation trips to the moon inside the next few decades.
Didn't we find an earth-like planet, or two, already?

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 04:14 AM
I doubt it would take that long even if I started from scratch.

It's $200,000 to $20 million for a ride into space now.
After a few centuries you should have big money backing you if your smart.
I'd get enough wealth and power to have what I need built.

I'd leave the postcard on your grave btw.

Oh, if I learn magic or get psychic powers along the way I might not need the ship to travel.

You think it's only going to cost $20 million for you to build and launch a ship outside of our solar system? Multiply that many, many times.

Make sure you put a rock on my postcard so it doesn't blow away.

You think that in four billion years that it is completely outside the realm of possibility we will have developed a means of safely travelling into outer space at a sustainable cost?

Nope.

We've only been around as humans for a few thousand years, and we've made huge leaps and bounds just from the dark ages.

We made "leaps and bounds" by evolving for millions of years before losing everything in the dark ages. We then found old technology and used it as a jumping off point.

I'm not saying we won't know how to do it theoretically (and we will probably eventually know how to do is practically), I just don't think it will ever happen.

We're already planning vacation trips to the moon inside the next few decades.

That makes it sound like we'll be sending people up on day trips to the moon soon. It is unlikely that most of the population will get to experience something like that in the next few decades. They're still trying to work out how to get back to the moon by the '20s.

Didn't we find an earth-like planet, or two, already?

Nope.

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 04:49 AM
$20 million is just for a ticket to go up to the space station now lol.

If I have the money and the time it doesn't mater how much it costs.

You think it's only going to cost $20 million for you to build and launch a ship outside of our solar system? Multiply that many, many times.

Make sure you put a rock on my postcard so it doesn't blow away.

Silver King
01-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Unless you live a mostly charmed life, being alive forever or even for a couple hundred years would be more like torture than anything else. I don't even plan to extend my life medically if and when that time comes. I've pretty much seen all I care to know about this world, so though I appreciate the offer, I'll pass on immortality and longevity, thank you.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 06:23 AM
$20 million is just for a ticket to go up to the space station now lol.

If I have the money and the time it doesn't mater how much it costs.

If you have the money and time and the ability to build a complex space ship, not to mention a way to support yourself for eternity. What will you eat, breathe, drink, etc?

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 06:39 AM
If I have Immortality...and I mean good Immortality like Dr. Manhattan or The Professor Firestorm, I don't need food etc.

Why does everyone want Immortality to have a down side, It's an awesome power.
In a story it might be bad if the MC or villain is invincible and lives forever, in RL it would be sweet.

Oh, just remembered if did need food.
A ship like the Odyssey in Ulysses 31 was big enough to have a farm and cows.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
If I have Immortality...and I mean good Immortality like Dr. Manhattan or The Professor Firestorm, I don't need food etc.

Why does everyone want Immortality to have a down side, It's an awesome power.
In a story it might be bad if the MC or villain is invincible and lives forever, in RL it would be sweet.

He said longevity. I was going by his narrower definition of it. If you don't need to eat or breathe or anything, it doesn't matter I guess. You can just steal a space shuttle. :D

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 06:49 AM
He said longevity. I was going by his narrower definition of it. If you don't need to eat or breathe or anything, it doesn't matter I guess. You can just steal a space shuttle. :D

LOL, In Highlander the cartoon series an Immortal did do that.

Kenzie
01-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Eternity scares the chesticles off me, so no.

I'm a writer. I need an end to the story.

Kenzie
01-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I could go in for some reincarnation though!

aadams73
01-14-2010, 06:58 AM
I could go in for some reincarnation though!

That would be much more appealing to me, too. Doubly so if I could take what I'd learned with me from one life to the next. Not actual memories, just knowledge.

rhymegirl
01-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Would this immortality thing mean I'd be a vampire?

LOG
01-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Would this immortality thing mean I'd be a vampire?
If you sharpen your teeth, become a night owl, and then wander around opening up people's veins, I suppose you could be considered a vampire...

@semilargeintestine: I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Really, the idea that we could not make progress in a field such as this in a period of four billion years is lunacy at best.
Besides, who says we need space-ships? Wormholes FTW, or help from aliens. Four billions years could be more than enough time for an entire other species to develop and come find us.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 07:30 AM
@semilargeintestine: I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Really, the idea that we could not make progress in a field such as this in a period of four billion years is lunacy at best.
Besides, who says we need space-ships? Wormholes FTW, or help from aliens. Four billions years could be more than enough time for an entire other species to develop and come find us.

So now you're relying on wormholes--which are far from proven to even exist--and aliens, which also have never been found and are unlikely to exist. Excellent. You're also calling me a lunatic at best. Real classy.

Also, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say we couldn't progress that much. I'm saying it won't happen because no government will pay that much to get it going. It's just completely infeasible.

The real reason I don't think it will ever happen is I don't think the world is going to last four billion years, and that's very much because of my faith, thank you very much.

LOG
01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
So now you're relying on wormholes--which are far from proven to even exist--and aliens, which also have never been found and are unlikely to exist. Excellent. You're also calling me a lunatic at best. Real classy.

Also, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say we couldn't progress that much. I'm saying it won't happen because no government will pay that much to get it going. It's just completely infeasible.

You're taking this way too seriously man...
The entire situation is just meant to be hypothetical. In a hypothetical universe, in which immortality exists, things like wormhole and aliens, while not mutually dependent, are not as far-reaching in a world that doesn't have immortality. At least to my point of view.

What makes you so certain that it would need government support? Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb without givernment aid. A bunch of smaller inventions could drastically reduce the cost. The project would not need to be enforced as a whole.

If the universe is infinite, or even near-infinite, then the odds of aliens existing get rather close to one.

Silver King
01-14-2010, 07:44 AM
...The real reason I don't think it will ever happen is I don't think the world is going to last four billion years, and that's very much because of my faith, thank you very much.
Not just that, but considering how we've plundered the earth in only the last hundred years or so, it is the biggest pipe dream imaginable to consider we can sustain ourselves for even another hundred years or so, let alone billions before we've exhausted this planet's resources.

I mean, who are we trying to kid here, anyway? Oh yeah, I forgot. We were just fantasizing about our future and not being entirely realistic.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 07:45 AM
You're taking this way too seriously man...
The entire situation is just meant to be hypothetical. In a hypothetical universe, in which immortality exists, things like wormhole and aliens, while not mutually dependent, are not as far-reaching in a world that doesn't have immortality. At least to my point of view.

I'm not taking anything seriously except being called a lunatic. I see no reason to bring insults into an otherwise friendly discussion.

What makes you so certain that it would need government support? Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb without givernment aid. A bunch of smaller inventions could drastically reduce the cost. The project would not need to be enforced as a whole.

Really? Equating the invention of the lightbulb to a massive relocation of the entire human race to a extra-solar planet? You have to think beyond just the ship.

BTW, I'm assuming we're talking about mass relocation in this scenario instead of just for yourself. If it's just for you, and you're immortal, that's completely different. I figured we're talking realistically here.

If the universe is infinite, or even near-infinite, then the odds of aliens existing get rather close to one.

And yet we have not found another planet capable of supporting life.

semilargeintestine
01-14-2010, 07:46 AM
I mean, who are we trying to kid here, anyway? Oh yeah, I forgot. We were just fantasizing about our future and not being entirely realistic.

So now you're going to get on me too because I don't like to be insulted for no reason? Awesome.

I'm out of this thread.

Art_Sempai
01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
What just happened?

Silver King
01-14-2010, 08:23 AM
So now you're going to get on me too because I don't like to be insulted for no reason? Awesome.

I'm out of this thread.
What? I was agreeing with your earlier assessment, or so I thought.

Sometimes that happens, when I mean to bolster someone's position in a discussion and end up having the opposite effect. That's the way it goes, I guess. We can't hit the mark every time, no matter what we say and no matter how hard we try to convey our thoughts as clearly as possible.

LOG
01-14-2010, 08:35 AM
It's the problem with internet communication, if I remember correctly, something like text-text communication loses something like 80-90% of what face-face verbal communication can transmit.

Not just that, but considering how we've plundered the earth in only the last hundred years or so, it is the biggest pipe dream imaginable to consider we can sustain ourselves for even another hundred years or so, let alone billions before we've exhausted this planet's resources.

Should we start a suicide program instead then?

I like the idea of my soul being immortal. I just hope heaven has leave time. There are some other universes I would like to be reincarnated into for awhile.

Silver King
01-14-2010, 08:56 AM
...Should we start a suicide program instead then?
No, but I'm not against refraining from talking people out of taking their own lives. If they want to go, well more power to 'em in the sense that they can set the parameters of their own demise.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

LOG
01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
No, but I'm not against refraining from talking people out of taking their own lives. If they want to go, well more power to 'em in the sense that they can set the parameters of their own demise.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?
I do not disagree with you.
It's their life, if they want to end it, that's their business. Only time I might interfere is if it was someone with a very powerful emotional connection to me.
I will probably never express the same sentiment off these boards though.

LOG
01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Goods news Silver King, according to THQ and their new game Darksiders, the world should end fairly soon. Also, 2012 works in your favor. (along with every other damng doomsday prediction, of which there are alot...)

Rowan
01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
To answer the original post -- yes. :)

brainstorm77
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
no

Samantha's_Song
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Highlander seemed to manage it okay. ;)

kayleamay
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Highlander seemed to manage it okay. ;)

Actually, wasn't he horribly depressed and lonely? Didn't he have to watch his wife get a raped AND get old and die? Didn't he have guys trying to lob his head off with sword? (I'm speaking of the movie here...I never watched the series.)

I'd still pass. :D

Seams
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
immortality? you'd have to kill me first

Samantha's_Song
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I never watched the series either, only the first two films, and lobbing the head off was part of the course. I could think of much worse ways to die, at least that's quick.
No matter what time of life our loved ones die, if we have to see it it's still depressing, but hopefully immortality would go for them too though.

Actually, wasn't he horribly depressed and lonely? Didn't he have to watch his wife get a raped AND get old and die? Didn't he have guys trying to lob his head off with sword? (I'm speaking of the movie here...I never watched the series.)

I'd still pass. :D

Roly
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
far less glamorous then Twilight would have you believe XD *runs away*

LOG
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
far less glamorous then Twilight would have you believe XD *runs away*
0.o
Where did that come from...?

LOG
01-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Eternity scares the chesticles off me, so no.

I'm a writer. I need an end to the story.
Why does death have to be an ending?
Death is a new beginning IMO.
I'm a completionist though, that's why I want immortality, so I can finish this universe before moving on to the next >.>

zahra
01-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I would, out of curiosity. But I'm sure I'd regret it.

LOG
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
I would, out of curiosity. But I'm sure I'd regret it.
You regret things when your mortal, why would immortality be any different?

aadams73
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Why does death have to be an ending?
Death is a new beginning IMO.

Now I'm hearing, "Death is only the beginning."

What movie is that from?

ETA: Ahh, The Mummy.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
I see no evidence that I'm not immortal.

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Immortality? No question about it. Yes.

rhymegirl
01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Now I'm hearing, "Death is only the beginning."

What movie is that from?

ETA: Ahh, The Mummy.

And the chick on that show Ghost Whisperer says that line in commercials for the show.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 01:37 AM
And the chick on that show Ghost Whisperer says that line in commercials for the show.

Oh really? I don't watch TV. Actually, I don't have a TV right now.

rhymegirl
01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Death is only the beginning, Alex.
Ghost Whisperer

Or maybe she says: Death is not the end. It's a beginning.

Something like that.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Death is only the beginning, Alex.
Ghost Whisperer

Or maybe she says: Death is not the end. It's a beginning.

Something like that.

Hmmm, ok. I'll take your word for it.

EFCollins
01-25-2010, 04:19 AM
Immortality? No. A few more decades? Sure. I'd take fifty, heck even a hundred, more years. Since I believe that nothing waits for me beyond this life but nothingness, I'm in no hurry to leave my only chance at life behind. But would I want to live forever? No. How very tiring, even to think about it. I have bad bouts of insomnia now. I can't imagine what forever with no sleep would be like.

LOG
01-25-2010, 06:19 AM
What if you didn't need sleep? There's always something going on.

aadams73
01-25-2010, 06:27 AM
What if you didn't need sleep? There's always something going on.

What is this "didn't need sleep" of which you speak? Nobody is abolishing my naps!

KellyAssauer
01-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Oh! Hey! My writing career will accept Immortality! =)

(apparently it wasn't doing much when I interrupted to ask)

LOG
01-25-2010, 08:20 AM
What is this "didn't need sleep" of which you speak? Nobody is abolishing my naps!
I would love not to have the need to sleep. I think.

brokenfingers
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd love to be immortal. I've always had a wanderer's soul and whenever I see a photo of someplace I've never been, I have an intense desire to go there.

I'd love to be able to travel the globe and see everything the world contains.

kayleamay
01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Bah! I didn't like the thought of immortality before anyone suggested that there would be no sleep. I'm way too impatient to handle eternal life without an occasional mental checkout. It's an insomniacs nightmare.

benbradley
01-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Yes. (http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Nine-Steps-Living-Forever/dp/1605299561)

Libbie
01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I'd take relative immortality, because I'd like to be around when we start doing really cool shit like colonizing other star systems. However, I wouldn't want to cool my heels on Earth literally forever. I don't want to still be hanging around when the sun goes all red giant on us.

Samantha's_Song
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't worry, you've less than two years to go now, according to the Mayans and the film 2012 Supernova. :D

I'd take relative immortality, because I'd like to be around when we start doing really cool shit like colonizing other star systems. However, I wouldn't want to cool my heels on Earth literally forever. I don't want to still be hanging around when the sun goes all red giant on us.

CoriSCapnSkip
01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh, I thought you said immorality. Never mind. :Shrug:

LOG
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Oh, I thought you said immorality. Never mind. :Shrug:
0.o

sadron
01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe.

NeuroFizz
01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
This is going to sound kind of strange and a bit haughty, but if one publishes in the scientific literature, our ideas gain a type of immortality. I've read, derived ideas from, and cited works of the 1800s. And I've read older works for a tracing of the history of current thought on a subject. As long as we can preserve that type of archival content, there will be a piece of us that lives. The same can happen with other forms of writing, but it seems to be more restrictive in what is and isn't preserved for an open audience.

Leave a solid legacy and we will live, if nothing else, in the lives and stories of our families. And then there is genetic immortality--as long as we leave offspring, we leave genetic codes that are unique to us and to our family lines, even if they are diluted and mutated with time.

robeiae
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I buried some of my poop so it will become a fossil and last forever. Like Haggis.

:D

But yes, that' very fair and very true, Fizzy.

Thump
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I would definitely want to be immortal. Even if my loved ones weren't. I'd like to be able to watch over them and make sure their lives go ok and to always be there, strong and healthy, to take care of them if they need me. And there will always be more people to love, new friends, new partners, children. So even if those I care about chose not to be immortal, there's no reason why my life shouldn't be as pleasant and rich as when they were around.

And I want to see what we do, as a species. If we have an eternity ahead of us, we could take our time, think things through before acting. Also, with forever ahead of us, people might start caring more about the planet, after all, we all like our comfort. We don't care too much when we know we're going to be dead soon anyway and won't have to deal with a planet with no ressources but if we have to stick around? You bet people would start paying attention.

And I do want to stick around to see the Sun die. I'd be on a space ship or station, just outside the range of the damage and watch it all unfold. I would throw a big memorial party, a wake for Mother Earth. There would be songs and anecdotes and very long documentaries about the ages of the Earth :D And then, I'd go home to wherever I call home by that point.

LOG
01-26-2010, 02:29 AM
This is going to sound kind of strange and a bit haughty, but if one publishes in the scientific literature, our ideas gain a type of immortality. I've read, derived ideas from, and cited works of the 1800s. And I've read older works for a tracing of the history of current thought on a subject. As long as we can preserve that type of archival content, there will be a piece of us that lives. The same can happen with other forms of writing, but it seems to be more restrictive in what is and isn't preserved for an open audience.

Leave a solid legacy and we will live, if nothing else, in the lives and stories of our families. And then there is genetic immortality--as long as we leave offspring, we leave genetic codes that are unique to us and to our family lines, even if they are diluted and mutated with time.
Sorry, that's not cutting it for me >.>

NeuroFizz
01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Sorry, that's not cutting it for me >.>
To each his/her own. What's your indelible mark going to be?

LOG
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
To each his/her own. What's your indelible mark going to be?
Is one required?

NeuroFizz
01-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Is one required?
Not required, but inevitable.

LOG
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
SENS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategies_for_Engineered_Negligible_Senescence)
Basically, scientific research directed at combating all age-related bodily deficiencies.
I notice they don't have anything to save the brain...

Cella
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
no. no and no some more.

BenPanced
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
And might I add "aw, HELL to the NO" to Cella's response. My current personal issues already feel like they've stretched on for an eternity; I don't actually want them to.

LOG
02-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Immortal cells (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Henrietta-Lacks-Immortal-Cells.html)

Annayna
02-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I'm already Immortal :o lol

Art_Sempai
02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Henrietta Lacks Immortal Cells
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Henrietta-Lacks-Immortal-Cells.html

LOG
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Henrietta Lacks Immortal Cells
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Henrietta-Lacks-Immortal-Cells.html
That's the same article I just linked...