Would you accept immortality?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If there was a method to immortality, available to the common person, with no strings attached, and no ill side-effects, would you take it?

Myself, I'm unsure. Some days I feel like I would, other days, not so much...

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
The answer really depends on my life, if I was successful and happy then why wouldn't I want to live forever? However, if I was upset then why would I want to drag it out?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The answer really depends on my life, if I was successful and happy then why wouldn't I want to live forever? However, if I was upset then why would I want to drag it out?
Because only the living can change. (Theoretically)

For the sake of the thread, let's say longevity, but not invulnerability.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I would take immortality if I didn't grow old physically and suffer those challenges..

I would take longevity because even if sometimes death seems like a pretty ok alternative, those feelings usually fade and there is so much life to live.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Would you wish to see the sun die, the earth wither to hot dust in the solar wind, empires rise and fall again, where children mean nothing because no one dies, and where all that remains in the end is the neverending march through eternity?

That's immortality. I think we'd all try to end it long, long before and then the answer becomes 'no'. But I wouldn't mind a couple of hundred years more.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hell yeah, I'd take it, with the conditions it's theoretically reversible, and that you halt the aging process as well. I wouldn't want to be 900 years old and look it.

Art_Sempai

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
art-sempai.deviantart.com
Always have an escape plan.

Immortals always wined up trapped in a void, encased in gold or some BS for story sake.

I'd see the universe then travel around the multiverse.
I'd also do some time traveling like the Doctor.

You need to support the power with other items and powers.
Just immortality would suck after a few thousand years on earth.

Be careful what you wish for sempai!

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I would. I'd love to be able to experience time in a geological sense. To see forests grow from seedlings, to see mountains rise and fall, to learn about whatever strikes my fancy, to be able to travel the universe because a 100 year trip isn't a big deal. I mean the possibilities are almost limitless.

I'd also appreciate my mortality just as much. Even if I was immortal biologically it doesn't mean I'm truly immortal in the physical sense. At some point we'd all buy the farm, and statistically speaking if things were about as dangerous as they are now, I doubt many of us would reach more than thousand years of age before we slipped in a bathtub or something.

But I think the thing I'd like the most is that people wouldn't be so impulsive anymore. When you've got a good 800 years left of living(statistically speaking), it's hard to justify thinking in the short term.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. Do we finally get the flying cars?

Live forever so I can watch the people I love wither away and die? So I can bury my own children? So I can become as much an anachronism as 8-track tape and Davy Crockett hats?

Thank you, no. I'm in no hurry to toddle off just yet, but living forever while everything I love dies doesn't seem like all that great of a deal.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Forever? I don't think I'd want forever. Maybe a few hundred years. Maybe even a few thousand. But forever? Would I be outlasting human civilization? Or perhaps humanity survives long enough to evolve and I'm the only one left "stuck" in the past (whoa...that could make a NEAT story!)? Do I actually live long enough to see the sun swallow up the Earth?

There are lots of things I'd want to do, but I wouldn't want to live forever. That's partly because I have a theory that the longer you live, the less "human" you'd be. You'd have to become less attached to deal with the loss, I think.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Myself, I'm unsure. Some days I feel like I would, other days, not so much...

how about this,....
i'll lock you in a room with haggis for 24 hours.
it won't actually be an eternity but it will certainly feel like one!
and then you can make up your mind.

:D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, no. I'm in no hurry to toddle off just yet, but living forever while everything I love dies doesn't seem like all that great of a deal.

I agree. I want to live for a good long time, but I don't want to live forever. Besides, I'm one of those crazy Christians who believes after I die, I'm going to heaven. That doesn't make me want to rush death, but I certainly don't want to keep putting off heaven.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Death scares me, but I'm a believer so I have faith I'm going to heaven, so no. I would like to live longer than the average lifespan, though. :)