Plato's Republic

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry. I failed to make a poll. Would people mind answering my question the old fashioned way?

What do you know about Plato's Republic?

a) everything

b) I know what it is, but am not an expert

c) I've heard of it, but don't know what it is

d) I've never heard of it

Thank you.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read most of it, but that was some years ago. I'm more familiar with some of the other dialogues. When I was in high school, The Republic or other dialogues were required reading.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Q: What do you know about Plato's [The] Republic?

A: Read it. Enjoyed it. Still have Allan Bloom's translation of it sitting around here on a shelf. If you want a great society, build it upon a lie. A noble one. (But is it possible for that which is an untruth to also be possessed of virtue? News at eleven...)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Like Alleycat, ancient history for me - so I guess I'd answer B. Puma

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
b) I read it at one point, but didn't find it terribly enthralling, and have not retained all of the information.

It involved a rather disturbing, oligarchical system which made use of propaganda and injustice to maintain social order. I expect that it was an inspiration for the system in Brave New World which made the artificial castes that Plato recommended real through the miracle of genetic engineering.

This book was one of the centerpieces of a college political class I took, as an example of teleocracy: Government established to accomplish and impose some goal upon its subjects, rather than government established simply to support the society of the citizens.

I found Aristotle's Politics to be a far more practical discussion of how government works.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Sarpedon!

I read part of it many, many years ago because I thought I should. Didn't retain a word.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I read it and enjoyed it .. but haven't read it for a while.

One anecdote: As I grew up in a fairly conservative area, nobody had told me that Plato was gay*

So I never understood how these two bits of Plato's system fit together:

1) Men should be in the military, but women shouldn't be

2) Men should be posted in the military alongside their lovers, so they would be more inclined to fight bravely

Everything made so much more sense when I found out the truth !

Mac
(*PS: I realise that that's also an oversimplification - an attempt to characterise their relationships by our pigeonholes.)

Deleted member 42

Read it. Taught it. Wrote a study guide. Think Phaedo and the Symposium are way more betterer.

Reaction score
I don't know everything about it; far from it. But I've read it through choice a few years back, so I guess my answer is B.

Michael_T

Physicist posing as a novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Read it recently. Enjoyed it.

I'd say ab) I took detailed notes and my thoughts on it while I read it, so I'm not an expert but I'd say I have a really good understanding of it.

govgirl

Registered
Reaction score
B. read it as a part of government theory major in college...haven't had a reason to think about it in years. Could refresh easily though