PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs

Jcomp
01-13-2010, 01:47 AM
So... nobody here has a team left or...? I expected this place to be, well, not lively, but surely not a morgue either.

Anywho... at least for a few more days, GO COWBOYS!

Julie Worth
01-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Ah...anyone but the Cowboys. Texas doesn't need any more encouragement.

Wayne K
01-13-2010, 01:56 AM
J*E*T*S- Jets, Jets, Jets.

Jcomp
01-13-2010, 02:01 AM
All right all right. That's a little more like it...

Wayne K
01-13-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm not a Jets fan, but I like this team. They'll probably lose to SD, but you never know. Defense is king in the playoffs.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk)

mscelina
01-13-2010, 02:25 AM
*ahem*

Peyton Manning is the man! Go COLTS!

*tucks the UT banner behind the Indy one*

Shadow_Ferret
01-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Anybody but the Cowboys or Minnesota.

I'd like to see New Orleans against Indy.

Wayne K
01-13-2010, 02:30 AM
If Indy beats Baltimore, I think they can go all the way.

Jersey Chick
01-13-2010, 03:52 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, because ordinarily, I despise the Jets - but now, I'd like to see them do something. The Giants sucked, I hate Dallas with a passion (the guy across the street has had his stupid Dallas flag up for three weeks grrrr.... :D It's payback for us having our Giants one up a few years ago.)

So I want the Jets to win it all. :D

Or the Colts.

Perks
01-13-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm just loving the good football. I thought Wild Card Weekend was mostly a disaster except for the Cardinals/Packers game.

I used to be a Redskins fan, because that's my hometown, but after fifteen years of ugly football, I am no longer the same person. So, right now, I'm only dedicated to fun football and am losing my tolerance for stupid penalties.

I can't wait for the playoffs - Colts, Saints, Vikings, Chargers, Cardinals, Cowboys -- it's all good.

Wayne K
01-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Big news (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbnhXYpTE7Y)

DWSTXS
01-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Ha! I talked to a philly coach today. He definitely didn't want to have to talk to a Cowboys fan! LOL I wanted to tell him how much they sucked, but I had to be nice and professional.

Go Cowboys!

Jcomp
01-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Ha! I talked to a philly coach today. He definitely didn't want to have to talk to a Cowboys fan! LOL I wanted to tell him how much they sucked, but I had to be nice and professional.

Go Cowboys!

Amen man. Something about those damn Eagles--or maybe everything about them--makes beating them so, so satisfying.

Now we have to see if the 'Boys can get pressure on Favre and force him to throw a pick or two early.

DWSTXS
01-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Amen man. Something about those damn Eagles--or maybe everything about them--makes beating them so, so satisfying.

Now we have to see if the 'Boys can get pressure on Favre and force him to throw a pick or two early.

That sounds good to me.

Jersey Chick
01-13-2010, 05:55 AM
go minnesota

:D

DWSTXS
01-13-2010, 06:56 AM
go minnesota

:D

yeah Minnesota. Go! (home, that is) LOL

we're gonna have a tough game trying to beat that old man on Sunday, but I think we will.

Silver King
01-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Sometimes I watch football simply to see a team that I dislike lose. And if they get their asses kicked and blown out, all the better.

For example, this weekend, I'll be rooting against Dallas and Indy.

The Cowboys, for over a decade now, haven't been worth a crap. It's only through sheer PR work (aka MONEY) and the NFL's desire to keep them in front of a national audience (again, for MONEY), that anyone outside of their market even knows they exist. I don't care much for the Vikings, either, but I'd love to see them bury Dallas so far into the turf that they'd have to bring out one giant, Texas-sized headstone to mark the place of internment for future generations to cry or laugh over.

As for the Colts, what do you say about a team that folds on purpose? Isn't there a law against throwing games in professional sports? Or does that only apply when interested parties are gambling on the outcome?

Either way, to ditch a highly probable perfect season that was easily within their grasp in favor of resting their players is unconscionable. Don't those men get paid to play during the regular season, or is there some kind of clause I don't know about that preserves them for the playoffs? And what about the fans, or even the average Joe or Jane on the street, who deserves the best product each team should bring to the field? Don't they matter as well?

Anyway, screw Indy and the "rested" colt they rode in on. I hope they get their asses kicked, too.

Wayne K
01-16-2010, 06:39 AM
JETS

Silver King
01-16-2010, 06:50 AM
JETS
Don't get me started on them. The only reason they're in the playoffs, the only one, is that both Indy and Cincy pussed out and gave them the last two games of their season without a fight.

The Jets will go where they belong, back home, and never reach the Big One this year.

Wayne K
01-16-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm with you there, but I'm rooting against the team that sent Eli to the Giants. This guy is not the man, and that Superbowl was the biggest fluke in the history of sports.

Wayne K
01-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Do you know how many years of him we're going to have to suffer for that fluke?

Wayne K
01-16-2010, 07:03 AM
So, as you can see, I have to root for New Jersey.

Silver King
01-16-2010, 07:14 AM
So, as you can see, I have to root for New Jersey.
You know who looked really good last week, and the one team I'd be soiling myself if I had to face? The freaking Ravens. They don't even need a quarterback most of the time. Now that's scary.

Perks
01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Today will be hard for me, at least at the beginning. The Saint/Cardinals game will cause me much angsty ambivalence. I love them both, but I think I ultimately have to root for the Saints and Drew Brees. It will be an inner turmoil to hope against the lovely and talented Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and the most frightening man in all of football - Anquan Boldin.

Tonight, will not present much of a moral dilemma. But I can promise you, no one wants to know me if the Ravens win.

Jcomp
01-17-2010, 03:11 AM
I think Arizona might fire their defensive coordinator at halftime. This is abysmal...

mscelina
01-17-2010, 03:23 AM
They should probably get rid of the o-line coach too. The hits on the QB are inexcusable.

Beanie looks good though.

Jcomp
01-17-2010, 03:42 AM
They should probably get rid of the o-line coach too. The hits on the QB are inexcusable.

Beanie looks good though.

Beanie is a BEAST. I think Arizona has to give him the starting gig and use him a lot more next season, especially if Kurt retires...

mscelina
01-17-2010, 03:44 AM
I agree. Beanie has all the ingredients he needs I think.

And Warner is probably done after this, I'm afraid.

robeiae
01-17-2010, 03:48 AM
:roll:

Seriously, you guys are surprised it's a blow-out?

mscelina
01-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Who me? No. Not surprised in the least. Why would you think that?

Perks
01-17-2010, 04:02 AM
What the hell happened to Darryl Johnston's pinky finger. Yikes! Can't they fix that?

Jcomp
01-17-2010, 04:44 AM
:roll:

Seriously, you guys are surprised it's a blow-out?

Not at all. In fact, on my awesomely entertaining website that everyone should check out all the time, THE BRAND NEW COOL, I predicted 38-21 as the final in favor of the Saints. I just figured the Cards wouldn't give up 35 in the first half making for 80 points in 5 quarters.

Wayne K
01-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Is it over?

I couldn't watch anymore.

Perks
01-17-2010, 04:59 AM
I wonder if that's the last we'll see of Kurt Warner? He seems to value his good life and he doesn't want to end up a cripple. He's awesome. Whatever he decides, I think he's terrific.

robeiae
01-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Not at all. In fact, on my awesomely entertaining website that everyone should check out all the time, THE BRAND NEW COOL, I predicted 38-21 as the final in favor of the Saints. I just figured the Cards wouldn't give up 35 in the first half making for 80 points in 5 quarters.
Well played.

Slushie
01-17-2010, 08:35 PM
VIKINGS

OKAY, GOTTA GO.

DWSTXS
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
VIKINGS

OKAY, GOTTA GO.

Cowboys!

Perks
01-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Well, yesterday couldn't have turned out better for me. I found, once the first game started, that I was leaning towards the Saints, even though I really like the Cardinals, too.

And the Ravens got exactly the spanking I would have wished on them.

Today, oh football fairy, I'd like the Vikings and the Chargers, please.

Jcomp
01-18-2010, 12:43 AM
GAHHHH! That is all...

robeiae
01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Now, we just need to see the Jets go down in flames.

mscelina
01-18-2010, 01:09 AM
*snicker*

Gee, Brett Favre just looks AWESOME today, don't you think?

Jersey Chick
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Boy, that is a damn shame about the Cowboys, innit?

And now, I can enjoy no matter who wins! Yay me!

Snowstorm
01-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I thought the Cowboys would at least hold their own. Too bad, although I'm tickled the Vikes won. I was just hoping for a real game.

DWSTXS
01-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Arggggghhhhhhhhhhhh !

Jcomp
01-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Arggggghhhhhhhhhhhh !

The worst part is dealing with another year of Cowboy fans and local sports talk guys demanding we clean out the coaching staff and dump Romo and completely overhaul the entire team. Because starting from absolute scratch works so well...

Jersey Chick
01-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Is the Jets game still as boring as watching paint dry?

Yikes - I expected better...

Silver King
01-18-2010, 03:55 AM
... I don't care much for the Vikings, either, but I'd love to see them bury Dallas so far into the turf that they'd have to bring out one giant, Texas-sized headstone to mark the place of internment for future generations to cry or laugh over...
I was wrong about Indy losing, but I hit that Dallas nail right on the head. Just wanted to rub it in. :D

cray
01-18-2010, 04:09 AM
what time do the eagles play?

:gone:

Slushie
01-18-2010, 04:13 AM
gloat

Perfect home record. 9-0, son. But the vikings has had troubles on the road. Its goning to be a good game in the superdome. I hope Edwards' knee is fine; I'm kind of nervous about that. Sidney Rice FTW!!!!!Seeya next eyar 'boys!!!:D

/gloat

don't drink and type kids.

mscelina
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
I find myself actually pulling for the...Jets.

I don't know why. I normally eschew teams from New York. Maybe it's just because I cannot find it in me to support the Chargers.

Whatever it is, I'm still *snicker* enjoying *giggle* the way that Brett Favre *chuckle* schooled the Cowboys *guffaw* this afternoon. I mean, it was really nice of him to let the little kids play for an afternoon.

*flees*

PS--GO COLTS!

Haggis
01-18-2010, 04:31 AM
GAHHHH! That is all...

I thought about you as I watched it happen. I felt bad for you. Then I got over it. :D

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Well, that was a game that if neither team won, I'd have been happy, but now I just hope to hell New Orleans is all that and a bag a chips.

Slushie
01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Well, New Orldeans is going to get crushed like a bag of chips.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Wish someone would crush Favre like a bag of chips.

Jersey Chick
01-18-2010, 04:55 AM
I don't know I'd count NO out yet.

I could get behind them.

Now this Jets game looks like a game.

DWSTXS
01-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Wish someone would crush Favre like a bag of chips.

I'll second this notion.

Since Dallas is out, now I don't really care who wins, as long as it's not the Vike-queens. I'll be glad to stop hearing all the hoopla over that old man.

The whole 'Farve' thing is just annoying. Okay, we get it. He's old. He's playing quarterback. okay. okay. okay. we get it.

Hurry up and lose Favre, so you can retire for what, the 8th time?
gee your story has become tiresome.

Wayne K
01-18-2010, 05:18 AM
J-E-T-S, Jets Jets, Jets......

Haggis
01-18-2010, 05:24 AM
J-E-T-S, Jets Jets, Jets......

Wayne, Joe Namath retired years ago. No chance.

archerjoe
01-18-2010, 05:31 AM
OK, OK, I can't resist.

http://stratfordcharter.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/fat-lady.jpg?w=500&h=431

Silver King
I never dreamed Wayne's team would get past that hump. They must be for real after all. :)

Man, I've lost so much money during these playoffs that I might not be able to gamble again until the NHL gets interesting...

Wayne K
With the Ravens out, I think the Jets have the best defense in the mix. Minnesota looked good, but they didn't play the Chargers.

This win was big for Jets fans.

I'm not a Jets fan BTW, I just like this team

cray
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
I
Man, I've lost so much money during these playoffs that I might not be able to gamble again until the NHL gets interesting...

that happens?

Haggis
01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
that happens?

Not in Philadelphia. :D

cray
01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
:ROFL:

Snowstorm
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
The Vikes and the Saints is the game I wish could be in the Super Bowl. That, I think, is going to be the best game of the year. Too bad, too, I'd like for both of them to win a sparkly ring.

May the best team win.

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I thought that Jets/Chargers game was pitiful. Halfway through, I couldn't hold out hope for either of those teams against Indianapolis. They all looked like chumps.

I'm not sure how long it will take me to recover if the Jets beat Indy. I know about any-given-Sunday and all, but there has to be more justice in the world than that, right?

Snowstorm
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
What do you all think about Favre throwing that fourth touchdown pass? I've heard and read there's a lot of angry people at him for doing so. My opinion is it's his job to make points. It's up to the defense to stop him.

Your thoughts?

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
If it ends up Vikings against Colts, I don't know what I'm going to do, because I love to watch both of those teams. Other than that, I'm throwing in my hopes for New Orleans.

Geaux Saints!

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
What do you all think about Favre throwing that fourth touchdown pass? I've heard and read there's a lot of angry people at him for doing so. My opinion is it's his job to make points. It's up to the defense to stop him.

Your thoughts?Why are the people angry? I haven't heard that yet.

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
If it's some nonsense about padding the score, then no. It's not like he threw an eleventh touchdown. It was only four and it's the playoffs. You have to play until the last seconds.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not much of a Saints fan because I don't get the Geauiusx thing and "Who dat?" really irritates me. If you don't even know who your team is, you have no business watching.

But I loathe Favre, so for one game I'll be a Saints fan.

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
'Who dat?' is a question directed at the other team -"Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?'

It's a southern thing, not just a New Orleans Saints thing.

And 'eaux' sounds like a long 'o' and is on the end of a lot of French words and there are a lot of French derivative names and words in and around New Orleans.

It's no sillier than wearing a big wedge of foam cheese on your head.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Ah. Southern. Explains why I live up north. :D

Snowstorm
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Perks, here's one article (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/146910-cowboys-brooking-vikings-classless?eref=fromSI) about it. There was a heated discussion on the "talking heads" show between Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson also. Terry said it wasn't right; Jimmy said it's up to Dallas to stop them.

I agree with you, it was the fourth TD, not 81 - 0 type of score. I figure if the Cowboys don't like the score, do your job and stop the offense.

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Ah. Southern. Explains why I live up north. :D

Yeah, 'cause being from up north obviously does wonders for your disposition.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Geez, it was only 34-3. Get over it. Did anyone complain about Drew going 45-14?

Yeah, 'cause being from up north obviously does wonders for your disposition.
My disposition is fine, thank you very much. :D

It's no sillier than wearing a big wedge of foam cheese on your head.

Touche. Most local team customs look silly to those outside the know.

Perks
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Perks, here's one article (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/146910-cowboys-brooking-vikings-classless?eref=fromSI) about it. There was a heated discussion on the "talking heads" show between Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson also. Terry said it wasn't right; Jimmy said it's up to Dallas to stop them.

I agree with you, it was the fourth TD, not 81 - 0 type of score. I figure if the Cowboys don't like the score, do your job and stop the offense.Ah, thanks. I see it around on Google now, too. The Cowboys looked pretty dejected for most of that game. I'm not surprised that the final score stung, but as it was only the fourth touchdown, like we said, I think they're being a bit whiny about it.

Favre's first touchdown yesterday was one of the most awesome things I've seen all year. The defender was looking around for the ball on the ground. He had no idea it had been caught. 47 yards, I think? Beauteous.

I like Romo and the Cowboys, though. It was just a bad day for them.

archerjoe
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM

I agree with you, it was the fourth TD, not 81 - 0 type of score. I figure if the Cowboys don't like the score, do your job and stop the offense.
Considering past years when the Vikings would practically quit playing with 4 minutes left in the game, it's a good thing they're finishing strong. If they were going to run up the score, they would have gone for a field goal on 4th down instead of a pass into the end zone.

SirOtter
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
If it ends up Vikings against Colts, I don't know what I'm going to do, because I love to watch both of those teams.

Same here. I've liked both teams since the 60s. Johnny Unitas and Fran Tarkenton are my favorite QBs of all time. Unitas was tougher than an asphalt jockstrap and being in the red zone just meant Tarkenton had an eighty-yard pocket. I'm a UT grad, but I'd have to lean towards the Vikings winning their first Super Bowl.

DWSTXS
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
well, I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan, and all I can hope for is Favre to go down next sunday, and I think he will.

I think that Indy will win the SuperBowl - If not Indy, then the Saints.

As far as running up the score, I don't think the Vike-queens were running up the score, we just weren't doing anything about it. We whipped the Iggles last week and could have been accused of doing the same thing. It was just a player letting his temper and frustration get out of control.

Besides that, I see it as a COMPLIMENT. They're basically saying, we know you're good, and that you COULD come back and tie it up or beat us, so we better score again, just in case. It's not likely, but it could happen.

DWSTXS
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
If you want to talk about REALLY running up the score, here's a stat for you.

The largest margin of victory in NFL history was in the 1940 NFL championship game when the Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0.

Perks
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Besides that, I see it as a COMPLIMENT. They're basically saying, we know you're good, and that you COULD come back and tie it up or beat us, so we better score again, just in case. It's not likely, but it could happen.With a 1:55 left? Lol! You are a fan, aintcha?

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Same here. I've liked both teams since the 60s. Johnny Unitas and Fran Tarkenton are my favorite QBs of all time. Unitas was tougher than an asphalt jockstrap and being in the red zone just meant Tarkenton had an eighty-yard pocket.

I remember how everyone hated Tarkenton. "Why can't he stay in the pocket like a real man?" :)

Perks
01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
The largest margin of victory in NFL history was in the 1940 NFL championship game when the Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0.Oh doesn't that just figure. DC is my hometown and, turncoat or no, I just cannot be a Redskins fan. If you can't buy a good season with as much money as they throw at that team, you really must have pissed off the gods.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I didn't think you could buy a good season, not like in baseball. NFL has a salary cap.

Haggis
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I didn't think you could buy a good season, not like in baseball. NFL has a salary cap.

Detroit's managed to buy fifty bad seasons in a row.

Slushie
01-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I actually don't think NO is going to get crushed like a bag of chips; it's going to be a really good game. I'm worried that Brees is going to pick apart the vikings secondary. But the saints have a dubious defensive line and I'm thinking Peterson could have a big game. Toss in Taylor for some play action and third-and-short passes to keep their defensive front off balance; the saints could be in trouble. It will be a high scoring game, but I think the vikings ground game will push them to the super bowl against the colts.

DWSTXS
01-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Detroit's managed to buy fifty bad seasons in a row.

LOL

I still think they should just burn Detroit down for the insurance money.

SirOtter
01-19-2010, 02:42 AM
I remember how everyone hated Tarkenton. "Why can't he stay in the pocket like a real man?" :)

Because his line was as porous as SpongeBob Squarepants.

SirOtter
01-19-2010, 02:43 AM
LOL

I still think they should just burn Detroit down for the insurance money.

I think they've been working on that since about 1967. Should be finished any time now.

Haggis
01-19-2010, 05:50 AM
I think they've been working on that since about 1967. Should be finished any time now.

Despite all the issues, there's still much to love about Detroit. Sadly, manufacturing jobs is not one of them. Or any kind of jobs for that matter.

Jcomp
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I think the Saints will outgun the Vikings. Just really hoping the Colts will beat the Jets. I can't imagine dealing with Rex Ryan for Super Bowl week...

Perks
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Just really hoping the Colts will beat the Jets. This has to have already happened somewhere in space and time. I cannot believe that it could go down any other way.

If I have to look at those ugly-ass Jets uniforms on SuperBowl Sunday, I'm poisoning the football nachos.

Jcomp
01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
This has to have already happened somewhere in space and time. I cannot believe that it could go down any other way.

If I have to look at those ugly-ass Jets uniforms on SuperBowl Sunday, I'm poisoning the football nachos.

As opposed to the basketball nachos? You have sports-specific nachos in your house? Could you be any more awesome?

*Perks at home watching the game. Bites into a nacho and then immediately spits it out* "What the hell? Who put these damn badminton nachos out here?"

robeiae
01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Football nachos generally have more jalapeņos...

Haggis
01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Badminton nachos are served with clotted cream.

robeiae
01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
And hockey nachos are served on ice and with an apology...

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 02:57 AM
on the space shuttle, they serve NASA nachos

Perks
01-20-2010, 03:56 AM
As opposed to the basketball nachos? You have sports-specific nachos in your house? Could you be any more awesome?

*Perks at home watching the game. Bites into a nacho and then immediately spits it out* "What the hell? Who put these damn badminton nachos out here?"
And nachos are not just for sport. I adjust them to suit all occasions. Don't worry, I have a smoke detector and a sprinkler system.

robeiae
01-20-2010, 03:58 AM
What are in the post-coitus nachos?

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Someone suggested a Jets-Vikings game with the Jets crushing His Egoness.

But personally, out of the remaining teams, the Colts are the only old school NFL team left I'd root for.

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Someone suggested a Jets-Vikings game with the Jets crushing His Egoness.

But personally, out of the remaining teams, the Colts are the only old school NFL team left I'd root for.

crystal ball predictions:

I think the Horseshoe-heads will win the SuperBowl this year.

I think the Vike-Queens will get severely jerked around by Favre this off-season in his 8th (9th?) 'retirement'

I think a lot of NFL fans will finally decide that Favre's story has become tiresome.

I think the BuffaloBills will rue the day they made Chan (who?) Gailey their head coach

Watch out for Houston next year.

I think the Cowboys will kick some serious ass next year (15-1 and win the Super Bowl)

I predict TWO teams going 0-16 next season. (you can guess who fairly easily)

I think there will be a strike-shortened 2011 season.

mscelina
01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
My pick is for an Indy/New Orleans superbowl with Indy winning the whole thing.

And then about fifteen more Peyton Manning commercials next year. But that's okay; he's funny and isn't afraid to poke fun at himself.

Let's see--final score? Umm...conservatively, 28-13.

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2010, 04:39 AM
crystal ball predictions:

I think the Horseshoe-heads will win the SuperBowl this year.

I think the Vike-Queens will get severely jerked around by Favre this off-season in his 8th (9th?) 'retirement'

I think a lot of NFL fans will finally decide that Favre's story has become tiresome.

I think the BuffaloBills will rue the day they made Chan (who?) Gailey their head coach

Watch out for Houston next year.

I think the Cowboys will kick some serious ass next year (15-1 and win the Super Bowl)

I predict TWO teams going 0-16 next season. (you can guess who fairly easily)

Interesting points and I agree with most of them except it'll be the Packers in the Super Bowl.

I love this Favre criticism by Tarkenton. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aZBemxC91hJ0)

Perks
01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
What are in the post-coitus nachos?If I told you, you'd have to marry me. But like I said, I've got a smoke detector and a sprinkler system.

Perks
01-20-2010, 04:51 AM
My pick is for an Indy/New Orleans superbowl with Indy winning the whole thing.

And then about fifteen more Peyton Manning commercials next year. But that's okay; he's funny and isn't afraid to poke fun at himself.

Peyton Manning is on my get-out-of-jail-free list. (Halle Berry's is on my husband's. Yes, we both maintain a list.) And I love his commercials.

That said, if it goes to Indy and New Orleans (which I hope that it does) I'll be pulling for the Saints. I hesitate to say 'deserve' because that's mostly ridiculous when it comes to a sport like this, but I'd love to see Drew Brees & gang take home the honors.

Slushie
01-20-2010, 04:55 AM

Why do you say that? Or was that a joke? Like the Cowboys going 15-1 next season.

And I wish I could say with all confidence that Favre won't dominate the off season news, but I can't; you're right.

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Why do you say that? Or was that a joke? Like the Cowboys going 15-1 next season.

And I wish I could say with all confidence that Favre won't dominate the off season news, but I can't; you're right.

No. Neither were jokes. Peter King (S I - Monday Morning Quarterback) said yesterday that he puts the chances of a there being NO season in 2011 at 70%

I don't usually go by what the sports media says, but he is very much in the know and rubs elbows with the commish, and all the top NFL personnel, media, etc etc

SirOtter
01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
No. Neither were jokes. Peter King (S I - Monday Morning Quarterback) said yesterday that he puts the chances of a there being NO season in 2011 at 70%

Unthinkable. I count on football to occupy my interest between the World Series and spring training. I can't stand basketball and don't have clue one what goes on in hockey. What the hell am I supposed to do for those months?

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Unthinkable. I count on football to occupy my interest between the World Series and spring training. I can't stand basketball and don't have clue one what goes on in hockey. What the hell am I supposed to do for those months?

Thats what I've been asking myself. What the hell will I do? This is a National crisis.

Obama better do something, and quick.

Perks
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm afraid to look at the why. Please tell me someone in football thinks they don't make enough money.

Snowstorm
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Perks, bling, lawyers' fees, and fines are going up all the time.

Perks
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I saw Ochocinco's ridiculous present to himself. That couldn't be cheap, poor baby.

Don't ask me what it is outside of pig ugly. (http://www.razorlip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/CHAD-OCHOCINCO-BIRTHDAY-TRUCK.jpg)

Snowstorm
01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I saw Ochocinco's ridiculous present to himself. That couldn't be cheap, poor baby.

Don't ask me what it is outside of pig ugly. (http://www.razorlip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/CHAD-OCHOCINCO-BIRTHDAY-TRUCK.jpg)

There are no words ....

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Peter King (S I - Monday Morning Quarterback) said yesterday that he puts the chances of a there being NO season in 2011 at 70%

No season? I'm really getting sick of this shit. It took me several years before I became a fan of baseball again after the last strike. I'm still not a fan of the NHL (did they ever come back from strike?). If it turns out these millionaires think they don't make enough while national unemployment is in double digits, well, they can take that oblong ball and shove it up their collective asses sideways.

Jcomp
01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
They're having some disputes with the collective bargaining agreement and players expect a lockout in 2011.

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
They're having some disputes with the collective bargaining agreement and players expect a lockout in 2011.

Yeah, one of the sticking points, is that the owners want the players to chip in X% to help pay for the new stadiums.

Those poor owners, someone really should help them out.

Jcomp
01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, in the NFL's case, in this situation, it's pretty much on the owners. They had a contract in place and the owners decided too much revenue is going to players so they don't want to renew it. Compared to baseball or basketball, owners have a lot of power in the NFL and the player's union is pretty weak. Free agency isn't exactly "free" and carries all kinds of stipulations, contracts aren't guaranteed and even bonuses can be recouped if a player is injured or something, they don't typically have trade-veto power, etc.

If they don't come to an agreement by March then the next season is an uncapped year, so it could be a feast for big market, big money teams to overpay players or dump high-priced guys without worrying about a cap hit. This would benefit a few teams but have a negative impact on the league as a whole because a player's worth is determined based on what other guys who are of comparable stats, ability and position are paid. Overpaying mediocre players and setting a bar of overpayment for other mediocre players is what really reduced the NBA's quality in the late 90's / early 2000's. It's bad for owners.

No salary cap is also bad for most players because, again, they don't typically have guaranteed contracts with guaranteed money and just about the only thing that keeps a lot of guys from getting dumped when they've outlived their usefulness is that the league penalizes teams with a salary cap hit if they release a guy while he's still owed money. No cap means no cap hit, and no cap hit means you can drop guys with no remorse.

It's just a strange situation. The owners have considerable power, the league is in no danger of franchises closing down or anything, but they want more.

Jcomp
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Another interesting morsel,the NFL has lockout insurance (http://newsburglar.com/2009/06/03/will-ther-be-an-nfl-lockout-in-2011/).

The NFL’s new television rights agreement with DirecTV will pay them $1 billion per year from 2011 through 2014.

Even if games are not played in 2011, the NFL’s deal with DirecTV calls for the league to be paid the billion-dollar rights fee. That’s approximately $31 million per team to tide them over through a lockout. The NFL has debt limits of $120 million per team.

There is no reason to believe that the NFL players will be any more successful at holding out than their NBA bretheren. NFL careers are quite short. The league is filled with players in their first through fifth years. The fifth round draft choice doesn’t see a big payday until probably his fourth or fifth season. Until then, he’s not exactly struggling, but he also doesn’t have a $30 million guaranteed contract.

If the NFL locks out the players, the NFL will win.

It's just hard for me to buy the idea that the league and owners as a whole are truly in such financial turmoil when the Cowboys, Patriots and Giants/Jets have all very recently built new mega-stadiums.

Slushie
01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
That's some disturbing stuff. I know the vikings have been trying for a new stadium for the past several years and the one being proposed right now is pushing $900,000,000. But even thought the metrodome is unpopular, people aren't willing to forgo their tax-dollars to help fund a new stadium, especially not with a slumping economy; so, for now it wall have to come from private investment. Ziggy can't come up with all that money by himself, so I think the vikings are stuck with that piece of shit stadium for the next few years. At least the twins got a new stadium; I'm going there this spring.

DWSTXS
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, and it's hard to afford going to a game now. I know that at the Cowboys games it's $20-$50 to park.
Drinks (beers) are $20 - a pizza is $75 (or something ridiculous like that) and the seats themselves are just way too far out of my affordable range. so, I won't even quote a price on those.

Suffice it to say that going to a game and taking a date might run $250 +
I'm not sure, that may even be a conservative estimate

Needless to say, I won't be going to any games unless I get free tickets, or one of my co-workers (who get paid to work the games) takes me along for chuckles.

Jerry Jones got the taxpayers to help pay for the 1+ billion stadium, and now he wants the players to kick in some for it too.

like I said, those poor owners need help, and those greedy players want to deny him? shame

Perks
01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
It's hard, because I think football players should get paid a lot of money because their careers are generally shortish and they put their eventual health on the line for our entertainment. (I always remember Joe Jacoby of the Redskins, still a relatively young man when he retired and in constant pain.)

But what's a lot of money? I love football, and I'd love to see it in person, but I've never been to a professional game, because I can't afford to go. There are segments of our culture's economics that I just don't understand.

Midnight Star
01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm probably the only girl on this thread, but I'm gonna go ahead and give this my best shot...

I think that the Super Bowl will end up being the Saints and Colts, just like everyone expected at the start of the season, or at least midway through it. Favre has done a great job this year in his return to the NFL, but Drew Brees is a lot faster and younger. I think the Vikes will keep it close, but in the end, New Orleans will pull out on top. And I'm not just saying that because they represent my division, the NFC South (Go Falcons!). As for the AFC, Peyton Manning is far better than Mark Sanchez. I don't care if he went to USC. He's a rookie quarterback and rookies obviously make rookie mistakes. Their win against the Colts that was likely their ticket to the playoffs only came because Indy pulled their starters. This time, they will have a full team, and they'll whip NY's butts like they should have in Week 15.

SirOtter
01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't care if he went to USC.

Speaking of USC, has anyone ever wondered why any school would name their team the Trojans? Did the eminent scholars of Southern California forget that Troy lost that war?

Wayne K
01-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm picking New Orleans and the Jets. In the playoffs it comes down to defense. After the game last week, Ladanian Tomlinson said the Jets were the best defense they've faced all year.

Midnight Star
01-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Speaking of USC, has anyone ever wondered why any school would name their team the Trojans? Did the eminent scholars of Southern California forget that Troy lost that war?

Wow...they're dumber than I thought...(no offense, USC alums.)

Silver King
01-23-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm probably the only girl on this thread...
A few others have chimed in, including Perks, mscelina, Snowstorm, Jersey Chick, and Julie Worth. With you now in the mix, that makes nearly half of the respondents here female.

Surprising, eh? :)

Midnight Star
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
A few others have chimed in, including Perks, mscelina, Snowstorm, Jersey Chick, and Julie Worth. With you now in the mix, that makes nearly half of the respondents here female.

Surprising, eh? :)

Cool. I usually hang with guys a lot, because i know how to talk sports.

archerjoe
01-25-2010, 07:27 AM
What a game! We were on the edge of our seats the entire time. The Vikes can't win with that many turn-overs, mistakes and missed opportunities.

Snowstorm
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Congrats to the Saints. I'm tickled for them. Mardi Gras tonight!

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Favre is so predictable. I said to my wife "This is about the time he usually throws a pick" and he threw a pick.

Cpngrats to the Saints. They had a great year, and they deserve to represent the NFC.

Perks
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Just the way I wanted it to turn out. I wish Papa Favre hadn't gotten hurt, though.

mscelina
01-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Actually, a girl started the college football thread--me, to be specific--and the girls have done a lot better picking football games than the guys around here. They all wanted the Cowboys *snerk*. And, I would just like to point out that I predicted a Colts-Saints Super Bowl AND missed out on five hundred bucks because of the Colts' last field goal, damnit. I'd even picked the score.

However, the Saints are probably in for an ugly trip to the Super Bowl. The Vikings turned the ball over how many times? Five? And the Saints couldn't put them away?

My man Peyton won't throw five interceptions. If the Saints couldn't score against Minnesota's defense without the help of those turnovers, they're in for a looooooooooooong night against the Colts. I'm going to let these games percolate a little before I make a score prediction for the Super Bowl--but I'd be surprised if the spread wasn't ten points or more.

Midnight Star
01-25-2010, 08:10 AM
I win :D

I predicted the Colts-Saints matchup at Week 7. Just thought I'd brag on myself a little bit. Drew Brees was my starting QB in Fantasy Football (won division - yay!) and he is sooo my MVP.

What i didn't get was why Favre had to try and throw the ball on that last play of their drive in the 4th. He had a good 10 yards in front of him that he could have run. He's got a head way too big for his body. But I respect him. I know I wouldn't be able to lead an NFL team to the conference championship at 40 years old.

What's ironic is that Peyton Manning went to high school in New Orleans, and Drew Brees attended college at Purdue, which is in Indiana.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Actually, a girl started the college football thread--me, to be specific--and the girls have done a lot better picking football games than the guys around here. They all wanted the Cowboys *snerk*. And, I would just like to point out that I predicted a Colts-Saints Super Bowl AND missed out on five hundred bucks because of the Colts' last field goal, damnit. I'd even picked the score.

However, the Saints are probably in for an ugly trip to the Super Bowl. The Vikings turned the ball over how many times? Five? And the Saints couldn't put them away?

My man Peyton won't throw five interceptions. If the Saints couldn't score against Minnesota's defense without the help of those turnovers, they're in for a looooooooooooong night against the Colts. I'm going to let these games percolate a little before I make a score prediction for the Super Bowl--but I'd be surprised if the spread wasn't ten points or more.
Uh, I picked four huge upsets in the college football thread, and came close on two more, so thats not entirely true.

If I had taken the points, my record this year would have been 13-2

Jersey Chick
01-25-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm happy for the Saints - if it can't be the Giants going to the Super Bowl, at least it's a team that's never been. My brother's a huge Saints fan, he's got to be bouncing off the walls -- he's been waiting a loooooooong time for this. :D

Midnight Star
01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
My parents lived in New Orleans before I was born. My dad says he can't imagine what the streets of the city are like right now with the Saints going to the Super Bowl. And Mardi Gras is coming up. Ay yi yi.

mscelina
01-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I win :D

I predicted the Colts-Saints matchup at Week 7. Just thought I'd brag on myself a little bit. Drew Brees was my starting QB in Fantasy Football (won division - yay!) and he is sooo my MVP.

What i didn't get was why Favre had to try and throw the ball on that last play of their drive in the 4th. He had a good 10 yards in front of him that he could have run. He's got a head way too big for his body. But I respect him. I know I wouldn't be able to lead an NFL team to the conference championship at 40 years old.

What's ironic is that Peyton Manning went to high school in New Orleans, and Drew Brees attended college at Purdue, which is in Indiana.

Yeah, I've been set on the Colts-Saints for a long time too. And Farve completely messed up on that play. If the Vikings had won, Brett probably would have retired after this season. Now I bet we're stuck with him for one more year. *sigh*

Yes, but Peyton Mannin attended the University of Tennessee, which makes his association with both Indiana and Louisiana acceptable misfortunes. :D

Uh, I picked four huge upsets in the college football thread, and came close on two more, so thats not entirely true.

If I had taken the points, my record this year would have been 13-2

Interestingly enough, that's why I used the plural form of the word instead of the singular.

So it's still entirely true. You're a fluke. :D

I'm happy for the Saints - if it can't be the Giants going to the Super Bowl, at least it's a team that's never been. My brother's a huge Saints fan, he's got to be bouncing off the walls -- he's been waiting a loooooooong time for this. :D

I'm happy for the Saints too. They're long overdue. Unfortunately, they're probably going to get their asses kicked in the Super Bowl.

Slushie
01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Ugh. Turnovers. I hate turnovers.

And Favre did get crushed like a bag of chips, so there's a least one ferret out there who's happy. :D

But that was a great game. Super Bowl should be exciting. My money is on the Colts.

Slushie
01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
And I smelled bullshit on that Leber pass interference call. Oh well.

Jersey Chick
01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't know - the Giants were supposed to get their asses handed to them by the Pats and they won. Stranger things have happened. I think Tom Brady's still surprised the Giants didn't just roll over and play dead.

Though, I think you're probably right on this. I'm still rooting for NO, though. I like Peyton (he's kinda impossible to not like, since he doesn't take himself too seriously and I've heard his wife has to dress him otherwise he'll pair prints with plaids - the horror!) but he has a ring.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Interestingly enough, that's why I used the plural form of the word instead of the singular.

So it's still entirely true. You're a fluke. :D
I just wish I still knew a bookie. I never picked like this when I gambled.

I like fluke, they're good eating. :D

Perks
01-25-2010, 11:11 AM
What i didn't get was why Favre had to try and throw the ball on that last play of their drive in the 4th. He had a good 10 yards in front of him that he could have run.
I would imagine his sprained ankle had something to do with that. He was pretty game to get right back out there after hobbling off, but he couldn't have trusted it much to get him up to any kind of speed. If he thought he had a chance to throw it, his instinct was always going to go there. A bit too often, that instinct betrays him. The rest of the time? It's pretty cool.

I do fear for the Saints in Miami, but somehow I can't say they couldn't do it.

Perks
01-25-2010, 11:13 AM
And why the hell is the ProBowl next week? Are any of the Saints/Colts people even going to bother showing up? I would think they would spend the next two weeks on ice and in hyperbaric chambers, not getting jetlag and fooling around with the chance of getting hurt.

That's just weird and disappointing that they scheduled it like that.

ETA - Oh, I see. It's in Miami, not the Hawaiin trip. Still, I don't see why these guys would want to do that.

Jersey Chick
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
The general consensus seems to be it's a stupid idea.

Snowstorm
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I think I remember hearing about the reason they moved the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl is because nobody cared about the Pro Bowl, the entire season being over. It's a money thing, I betting. But those players going to the Super Bowl are basically distracted or shut out: do they attend and chance getting injured before the biggest game of their life or not attend the Pro Bowl to concentrate on the Super Bowl. Either way, tough choice on their part.

Yeah, stupid idea.

Jcomp
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I think I remember hearing about the reason they moved the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl is because nobody cared about the Pro Bowl, the entire season being over. It's a money thing, I betting. But those players going to the Super Bowl are basically distracted or shut out: do they attend and chance getting injured before the biggest game of their life or not attend the Pro Bowl to concentrate on the Super Bowl. Either way, tough choice on their part.

Yeah, stupid idea.

It's pretty much accepted that nobody who is going to the Super Bowl will be playing in the Pro Bowl. Even when they made the change it was understood that this would be the case. As it was, a lot of Super Bowl winners had started skipping the Pro Bowl anyway to be in their own town for parades and parties and whatnot, so it kind of didn't matter one way or another.

Midnight Star
01-25-2010, 11:25 PM
I think that they moved the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl was to get more people to watch. I think it's pretty stupid.

Wayne K
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't think there is a good time slot for meaningless games

Perks
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
I think they should skip the ProBowl business and showcase for us more of the time-trials and single skills these guys demonstrate. There's a lot of cool things these guys can do in training camp or even just because of their tremendous athleticism that is really very entertaining.

They could host an expo for charity or something. It would give a chance to tell some of their interesting stories and let us see another side of these people. I used to work out with William Henderson of the Green Bay Packers. He was such a sweet and interesting man. (I'm sure he still is, somewhere.) Even just the stuff they do for workouts is unique and fun to see.

This is all assuming we need any more football, that is. I'd probably watch it.

SirOtter
01-26-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't think there is a good time slot for meaningless games

The only one is the one in the middle of July. Even then, the All-Star Game does have meaning - it's the halfway point in the season, and time for the Rotisserie players to make some serious trades. ;)

Midnight Star
02-08-2010, 07:40 AM
I would like to be the first to say..

SAINTS WIN BABY!!! OH YEAH!!

...I'm good.