Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I sold the UK rights to my book, but I am thinking I will have to release it myself here in the US. Are the epublishing rights different, too? I'm only wondering because (and I could be wrong) it seems to me that I could order e-books from anywhere in the world, so how does that affect US and UK rights?

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
I don't think there is any difference for e-books simply because rights are all about who gets to publish it rather than its availability.

My publisher has North American rights. In theory, I could waltz on over to the UK and find a publisher for the material there as well. It all comes down to your contract.

Kerry

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ebook rights can be regional or worldwide. Regional digital rights are increasingly being taken more seriously with ebook vendors blocking customers from some content based on the country they are located in.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
My contract specifically states UK publishing rights. It mentions ebook and audiobook rights, but doesn't specify if they are UK or worldwide. Am I wrong to assume that means the e-rights, etc. for the US should still default to me?

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
My contract specifically states UK publishing rights. It mentions ebook and audiobook rights, but doesn't specify if they are UK or worldwide. Am I wrong to assume that means the e-rights, etc. for the US should still default to me?

If US or International rights have been omitted, then sounds like you're good to go.

Kerry (I'm a writer, Jim, not a lawyer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.