Does anybody here play piano?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious about a good gift idea pertaining to someone who plays the piano.

I mean, I play a little piano, but it's very rough and basic chords that I learned in high school. My love has always been for the guitar.

So I essentially don't know a whole lot about the piano or accessories that come with a piano or what a piano playing person (especially someone who is JUST learning the piano) might find interesting.

So, for those of you who play...what would be a gift you could get that you would really enjoy (and/or find a bit challenging)?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I took a year of lessons and am teaching myself now how to play, so I might qualify to answer.

Pianos don't really come with accessories, but here's a question. Most people today don't have pianos, they use keyboards. They're lighter, more portable, take up less room, and don't require tuning. Does your recipient have a keyboard or piano?

I'm a purist myself. I own a piano and wouldn't want to own anything else.

So, maybe a good metronome, or bust of Beethoven?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, I guess I SHOULD qualify that this person only has a keyboard right now.

Thanks for the reply.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
A good carrying case for the keyboard. A damper/sustain pedal. A nice sturdy foldable stand.

Or go into a good music store and ask. Get a gift receipt in case your giftee already has what you bought.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's a keyboard and not a piano, I guess my choice of furniture polish won't work.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'd hesitate to buy music gear because preferences are so personal. When I used to play, I liked getting music-themed goodies like mugs, tote bags, jewelry, etc., or CDs of really great musicians. The CDs always inspired me to practice more.

Stuff to pamper the hands might also be good.

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
A sustain pedal would be awesome. That's what I would want if I didn't already have one.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
A sustain pedal would be awesome. That's what I would want if I didn't already have one.

Ok, new question (since this has been mentioned a couple times)...does it matter what type of keyboard it is when you are looking for sustain pedals?

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Ok, new question (since this has been mentioned a couple times)...does it matter what type of keyboard it is when you are looking for sustain pedals?
I don't think so. I bought a generic one for my keyboard. Again, any competent music store employee will be able to tell you. And they do tend to be competent; music stores like their employees to be knowledgeable. That's why they tend to give them good commissions and full-time hours, unlike most of retail.

Judg, whose son works in a music store for his day job.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. I bought a generic one for my keyboard. Again, any competent music store employee will be able to tell you. And they do tend to be competent; music stores like their employees to be knowledgeable. That's why they tend to give them good commissions and full-time hours, unlike most of retail.

Judg, whose son works in a music store for his day job.

Thanks, your comments have been very helpful. Rep points coming your way. :D

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Most sustain pedals have an 1/8th inch plug, and most keyboards have a spot for that (in fact, most have it specifically for sustain pedals).