UK v US Agents

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Hi all,

I just wanted to share some general impressions on UK versus US agents (without naming any names). I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have been sending stuff off to agents since my draft was more or less finished in October last year. First I picked my top 16 UK agents and queried them all as per their guidelines (most required a snail mail submission with covering letter, synopsis, first 3 chapters and a SAE). As I live in Ireland and Ireland no longer sells IRCs, this involved purchasing stamps online, printing all the hard copies needed, personalising the letters, posting them off and waiting with fingers crossed. Three months later, I have seven (out of 16) replies, all form "Dear Author" rejections and no requests for partials. Only one agent allowed e-queries. She replied within 30 minutes and requested a partial, which she read and then passed on it about a week later. No replies at all from the other eight. Out of the seven snail rejections, maybe three submissions were read (just looking at the pages). Now, I am not complaining, I understand how this business works, and I understand how little time agents have, and that they may have found a cause to stop reading on the first page.

Last week, I decided to start querying agents in the US, and the whole experience (while stilled filled with rejections) has been a lot more pleasant. First of all, the majority of agents will take e-queries (which is great because each UK submission was costing me 10 Euro in printing and postage costs). Often you will get an automated response letting you know the estimated response time, which is a nice touch, and if you don't it's usually clear on the website. Most agents have a website with a clear list of what they are looking for so you don't waste each other's time (only the bigger agents in the UK may have this). Also, I don't know if they just like my stuff more, but the first few rejections I have received have been a LOT nicer. Instead of a form rejection, I am hearing things like "I don't have the right editorial contacts to sell this, but it's a strong project and you should definitely pursue other agents". I am hoping that this is not just because US agents are more polite than UK agents! Also got two requests for partials so far, which is great.

It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to me whether I get taken on by a US or a UK agent, but my experience, such as it was, would lead me to query further in the US before trying again in the UK.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Thanks for this. I'll be on the lookout for an agent this year and I've been unsure where to query, based in France, writing in English, originally from Australia. Your experiences so far are handy to know about.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's very interesting. I have noticed that some US agents who were requesting snail submissions just a couple years ago have gone to e-queries with a note about going green. Puma

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
One thing I have found that is interesting about UK agents is that some of the smaller agencies (what you would call boutique agencies in the US) are open to e-queries, perhaps trying to steal a march on the big fish. I hope it will change, I think it will change, just not tomorrow.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Also, I don't know if they just like my stuff more, but the first few rejections I have received have been a LOT nicer. Instead of a form rejection, I am hearing things like "I don't have the right editorial contacts to sell this, but it's a strong project and you should definitely pursue other agents". I am hoping that this is not just because US agents are more polite than UK agents! Also got two requests for partials so far, which is great.

It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to me whether I get taken on by a US or a UK agent, but my experience, such as it was, would lead me to query further in the US before trying again in the UK.

Wow really? I have a writer friend in the US. Sometimes she shows me her rejections. The most memorable one that strikes me was the 'learn to f**k first then write a novel.' One I'll never forget is the rejection from a Christian publisher [she writes erotica] telling her she was going to Hell for writing such filth!

I've looked into US agents and publishers before and they seem iffy about taking on UK writers because it made publicity hard.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I know several UK writers who have US agents

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Wow. I think I would like one rejection like that, just to show people in the pub. Just one though, more than that would be pretty tough to take.

I haven't encountered any rudeness at all actually, quite the opposite. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.

wrt US agents being iffy taking on UK writers, I'm Irish but I get your point. However, I have read on several agents and editors blogs that it really doesnt matter. I remember one agent talking about a client she had on her third successful book now whom she had never met. Having said that, if an agent/editor is deciding between two books and the difference is paper-thin, being US-based would probably count in your favour, I would think.

Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to move to New York.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Just shows you how everyone's experiences are different. I loved submitting to agents in the UK. For me the biggest deal was being able to send those first three chapters right from the off. I never found their form responses rude. And I could phone them to follow up. I was always treated very well.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
dgaughran:
my experience, such as it was, would lead me to query further in the US before trying again in the UK.

I think a lot of depends on the nature of your manuscript and the likely market for it. Because the UK market is small, I could understand (rightly or wrongly) why a UK agent might not be receptive to a historical novel set in 1800s South America. Equally, I could see why the same manuscript would be of more interest to a US agent.

It's a difficult decision to make, but I sympathise with frustrations about UK agents preferring hard copy submissions.

MM

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Just to clarify, I didn't find the form responses rude, I expected them, and I understand why it is done.

My main point was the joys of e-querying over the time and expense involved with paper submissions, not to mention all those dead trees.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
dgaughran:
Really? I didn't think it would make a huge difference really. Can you explain a little more? It may help me in targetting my queries.

I'm only going by what was said by a number of literary agents and editors during the final term of my MA (i.e. back in 2009) so please, please don't take this as gospel because querying widely never hurts.

However to the extent that there is UK reader appetite for novels set abroad, those novels tend to be set on the Indian sub-continent, Australia and Africa, i.e. areas where the UK has historically had an interest. Unless there's a big popular hit set in another region (e.g. a few years ago there was a spate of novels set in China because the non-fiction buzz was focusing on that region and there was a successful exhibition at the British Museum that sparked wider media interest), then UK publishers are supposedly more cautious about taking them on.

Historical fiction tends to follow popular trends, so you'll see a glut of fiction set in 16th century England (whether Reformation or Elizabeth I) or in Roman or Victorian times, but less so in other periods. Interestingly

I'm in no way suggesting that this is a hard and fast rule (and personally, I think it's pretty daft because a good book is a good book regardless of whether it's set in Timbuktu or Slough) but applying it to the US, where there's a significant percentage of the population from South America, you can see why a US publisher/agent would think there's more of a market for it. Equally though, given the current Moctezuma exhibition at the British Museum, you could make a case for South American interest in the UK market. It all depends on your book.

MM